Tiger Mosquito arrives in the Costa Brava

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar
It's here, despite what the council says about it not coming any further north than Costa Del Maresme, it failed to read the "No Entry" signs and continued past and here is a blurred picture (sorry but it was hurting) of it biting me in broad daylight at my desk.  This particular specimen is now extinct.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 10:09 PM by sj27 Star rating in Heathrow, but have a.... 9 posts Send private message

sj27´s avatar

Hi

Have a villa just round the corner from you in pals, what's the significance of this particular mossie ? I'm all for making them extinct, especially the one's that can't read no entry signs!

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 7:20 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

It is near us too on the costa blanca/costa calida border.  Our local beaches are surrounded by sand dunes and natural park areas.  

A Spanish neighbour says the tiger mossie arrived this year in huge numbers and that the whole mossie population in general was massive because the authorities did not spray the area as usual because of complaints from the green ecological lobby about using nasty pesticides.    Great. 

Jane

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 8:07 AM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar
Hi Shaun,

It bites bigger and harder so if you have any kind of reaction to normal bites then this will get you worse. But also unlike the usual mozzie which only feeds at night, this one will bite you to pieces in the daylight as well.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 11:53 AM by slimps Star rating in Hull . 5 posts Send private message

I was bitten about two months ago. Im not sure what kind of mosquito it was but the swelling was huge. I still have a large shadow around the bite the size of a female nipple(sorry i couldnt think of anything else round in shape and that exact size)and the skin is dry. Whatever it was I dont want another bite from it.

This message was last edited by slimps on 9/10/2008.

This message was last edited by slimps on 9/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 12:40 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
eat plenty of Marmite - it leaves a taint in the skin that Mosquitos dont like - something to do with Vitamin B I think - another one to be wary of is the false widow spider - black and white in markings and has a tendency to jump more than walk - mate of mine bitten by one two years ago and his leg swelled up like an elephant - was on crutches for two weeks

Flog it I have to admire your guts taking the time to photgraph it feeding on you rather than squash the thing - unless there are some masochistic tendencies in your nature of course.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 12:52 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar
Photographing it just gave me more time later to check what I was seeing because according to most sources it has not yet arrived in the Costa Brava. As for the Marmite, now I would need to be masochistic to eat that stuff!!

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 1:25 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
You must have balls of steel - real Dunkirk spirit to let the buggar feast on you so that you could find the camera and then snap the pic for later research. Personally if any flying biting thing lands anywhere near me all I want to do is send it to its maker as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 2:42 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Has it got bigger teeth than a normal mossie?
Rarghhhhhhhh!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 3:14 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar
Steady on Tiger.  No, in fact it has very good table manners and drinks through a straw due to its lack of teeth. It does not actually "bite" as such it just punctures the skin and drinks.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 9:32 PM by sj27 Star rating in Heathrow, but have a.... 9 posts Send private message

sj27´s avatar
Tim,

thanks for the info on these toothless vampire, I'll keep an eye out for the buggers in the tall grass.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Archery equipment - 0 posts
INTERNET CONNECTION - 4 posts
What a good decision!! - 43 posts
When did Ryan stop their Priority Boarding with online checkin - 7 posts
Directions from Jerez airport to Manilva-hopefully avoiding the coast road!!!! - 14 posts
30k members, we're almost there! - 6 posts
Looking to move to Spain - help !! - 10 posts
Education In Javea - 1 posts
CALANOVA GOLF - 13 posts
Work for Eye on Spain - Office admin needed - 0 posts
Property required inland areas i.e Cartama, Coin, Alhaurin etc - 0 posts
Telimico GONE AGAIN............ - 96 posts
one way van rental - 0 posts
SPANISH GYPSIES TAKEN OVER APPARTMENT - 2 posts
Lookin to move to Spain ? help - 8 posts
Congratulations! - 0 posts
Restaurant reviews benidorm - 0 posts
Internet-Pay as you go,or Monthly Contract ? - 2 posts
Using the spanish health service if under 65 and early retired. - 6 posts
Los Lagos court case won against developer! - 5 posts
Costa Brava - 0 posts
Help Snake - 3 posts
50cc motorbike for sale - 0 posts
2 seater sofa for sale - 1 posts
Can a mod please explain - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x