Looking to move to Spain - help !!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by desres Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hey Everyone 

1st time on here, i am in need of serious advice  ,,,, thinking of moving out to Spain very soon, within 1 month  
Originally from U.K. been living in Dubai for a few years but  really need to get some normality back in my life !!
Could never live in U.K. again soooooooooo next move  looks like Spain  

I hav found what looks like a really nice place,  Bar / Rest with Accommodation 
Its in Arroyo, Benalmadena ,,, does anyone know this part ?? 
Its supposed to be a good Residential / Commercial area ,,,, Local Trade 

I hav negotiated the price & been accepted but just so worried its the right move, probably not the best time for business in Spain 
wondering if it could make a living & cover overheads, i dont expect  miracles i will need time to build the business up ,, but still worried 
not been to Spain for a while & just gettin info of the websites ,,, its a bit confusing 
Anyone got any thoughts or know this area before i jump !!!  would appreciate your experience

Thks

Desres

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 11:29 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
What is the business you intend to develop in Spain?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 11:31 AM by Robert H Star rating in Marbella. 63 posts Send private message

Hi Desres,

Well, brave move. Arroyo de la Miel - Benalmadena is indeed a very built up residential area, with a year round local trade and tourism. Also, the area is inundated with bars, competing against eachother for a slice of that local trade. Location is paramount. The good thing is that yours has living space, so you save on renting elsewhere. Prices in the area are keen, so you have to be very astute on marketing products which attract people, and you have to be sure to have all your licenses in place before you even think of offering music nights etc. Be aware that your opening license needs to be renewed when the change of ownership takes place. So have a close look at the facilities of the premises, is access for handicapped people updated? If not, how much would that cost you to do, and is there space to do it? Is there a terrace, and is that on municipal land? Is that renewable or not? How do the new smoking laws affect your premises? Etc etc. If you want, I can send you a PM with some very usefull contact details.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 12:09 PM by chrisfisher Star rating in Malaga. 36 posts Send private message

chrisfisher´s avatar
Hi,

Good luck with your venture if you dot the i´s and cross the t´s you will be fine, out of interest i was thinking of moving to Dubai to sell property, what s it like to live there with a small family ?

Is work easy to come by??

Do I need a visa if i am a european citezen?

Is property expensive to rent.?

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 1:03 PM by desres Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Chris

Thks for your reply ,,, still doin the homework but getting some helpful feedback 

Dubai >> i am in Real Est here & the market has gone very quiet just like everywhere else ,, .. maybe pick up a little after Ramadan .. Oct 
but it has had its best time ,, prices getting way too high !!

Not easy to get other work .. depends what other skills ? 
Yes u do need Visa ,, everyone does here but the employer provides that, usually after a probation period 

Small family >. Very safe place ,, pretty much zero tolerance but thats a good thing & good education but you have to pay

Rents very high & always have been > 1.400.000 Euro per month ,, yes 1.400.000 E 
 for a large Studio inc bills & you have to take a yearly lease & pay in advance post dated cheques, some do monthly then they charge u more !!      

Hope that helps Chris

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 9:19 AM by chrisfisher Star rating in Malaga. 36 posts Send private message

chrisfisher´s avatar
Thanks Desres, with the sound of that i think i will stay where I am.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 12:31 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Desres:

Sales in Spain are difficult and will be for a while. Rentals may work.

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 12:34 PM by carlyrose Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Desres,  Arroyo is definitely one of the best places to buy your bar as long as its on the main strip and not on a small back road.

I can reccomend a removal company if needed.  premier  movers.

Good luck 

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 1:10 PM by desres Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Carlyrose .. Hi 

Thks for your reply
I dont know if its in the centre .... it sits on the main link rd  A- 386 or A 368  
Is this a central area or a back rd ? ? do u know 

Thks again

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 2:20 PM by Robert H Star rating in Marbella. 63 posts Send private message

The A 368 is the main road through Arroyo. It was the main road linking Mijas, Benalmadena and Arroyo to Málaga. In Arroyo, on this road there is still an ancient coaching inn called La Ventanilla de la Perra, serving Malaga food, and dates from some 3 centuries back. Before the coast road was built in the 1920's, this was the main road. So, that sounds good as a location.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 3:27 PM by carlyrose Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Desres Hi,

yep that sounds o.k.  trade is slow in Spain at the moment though, but as I said before Arroyo is a good place to have a business and live as it is so central.

Good luck

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Education In Javea - 1 posts
CALANOVA GOLF - 13 posts
Work for Eye on Spain - Office admin needed - 0 posts
Property required inland areas i.e Cartama, Coin, Alhaurin etc - 0 posts
Telimico GONE AGAIN............ - 96 posts
one way van rental - 0 posts
SPANISH GYPSIES TAKEN OVER APPARTMENT - 2 posts
Lookin to move to Spain ? help - 8 posts
Congratulations! - 0 posts
Restaurant reviews benidorm - 0 posts
Internet-Pay as you go,or Monthly Contract ? - 2 posts
Using the spanish health service if under 65 and early retired. - 6 posts
Los Lagos court case won against developer! - 5 posts
Costa Brava - 0 posts
Help Snake - 3 posts
50cc motorbike for sale - 0 posts
2 seater sofa for sale - 1 posts
Can a mod please explain - 4 posts
flying pets with iberia - 5 posts
chrissy - 0 posts
Costs involved in Selling - 5 posts
New El Pirata in Albatera - 0 posts
Bank Guarantees, a new source of woe for off plan buyers - 1 posts
New Scooters 50 - 125 - 150 cc - 21 posts
Please I need some advice! - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x