Lookin to move to Spain ? help

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by desres Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hey Everyone 

1st time on here, i am in need of serious advice  ,,,, thinking of moving out to Spain very soon, within 1 month  
Originally from U.K. been living in Dubai for a few years but  really need to get some normality back in my life !!
Could never live in U.K. again soooooooooo next move  looks like Spain  

I hav found what looks like a really nice place,  Bar / Rest & Accommodation 
Its in Arroyo, Benalmadena ,,, does anyone know this part ?? 
Its supposed to be a good Residential / Commercial area ,,,, Local Trade 

I hav negotiated the price & been accepted but just so worried its the right move, probably not the best time for business in Spain 
wondering if it could make a living & cover overheads, i dont expect  miracles i will need time to build the business up ,, but still worried 
not been to Spain for a while & just gettin info of the websites ,,, its a bit confusing 
Anyone got any thoughts or know this area before i jump !!!  would appreciate your experience

Thks

Like 0      
08 Sep 2008 11:16 AM by marinagm Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I really wouldn't buy a bar without coming to Spain, having a look round and doing a lot of research. Bars are opening and closing all the time and you really need to investigate further before deciding if you could majke a go of it. 

When not just rent an apartment while you get a feel for an area? There are plenty of bars for sale to choose from.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2008 12:02 PM by Alison&Simon Star rating in Hamilton,Scotland - .... 1102 posts Send private message

Alison&Simon´s avatar
Hi, I'm with Marinagm on this one.  What will make your bar stand out from all the rest, will it have a unique selling point? is bar/rest  an area that you have experience in cause if it isn't in todays climate I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole,  but i am not in a financial position to take risks and these are the things you have to ask yourself.  Many good people have tried and failed, so think very carefully before taking that leap. i would also be looking at how many all inclusive hotels/aparts are surrounding you as this will have a significant impact on business and if you haven't researched the area properly how do you know your market.  Have to done a business plan this is a must before going ahead with any proposed business in any country. 

Alison 

This message was last edited by Alison&Simon on 9/8/2008.

Always look on the bright side of life  

Dogs have lots of friends cause they wag their tails and not their tongues

Alibabe

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 11:17 PM by coast-almeria Star rating in Mojacar. 71 posts Send private message

I would rent, in my area it seems that everythingis up for sale at the right price.

Good luck, by the way what is Dubai like my best friend is thinking about moving there.

Coast-Almeria

Like 0      
27 Sep 2008 9:47 PM by desres Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi & thks for your reply . the property is on a 10yr  Lease + Rent .. 

Dubai .. it depends what your friend does for a job.. not an easy place to live .. Cultural differences .. big time
extremely high rents .. so unless they come out to a very good job ,, wont be easy 

Thks

Like 0      
03 Oct 2008 3:40 PM by arroyogal Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

arroyogal´s avatar
hiya I live in Arroyo de la miel,
 it is a lovely little town, very busy with all nationalities living together, it is a big step buying a bar in an area you know nothing about do you have any catering experience?, the lack of tourism has hit benalmadena this year so i would do a bit more research before you commit if i can help you with any advice please pm me good luck in your new venture
r

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 2:19 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
I second the motion, move and rent. Price's aren't going anywhere but down so you not missing out on any major gains.

When you buy your committed, when you rent you can pick up and move.

Secondly I would keep your ties to home so you can go back if needed.

good luck

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 3:16 PM by desres Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi & thks for your reply 

Its a Leased property, i am not buying the property but the Lease + monthly rent 

Things seem pretty dismal everywhere at the moment .... but this place looks nice 
I will be out in a few days to view .... so i will get a much better insight 

Thks again

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 4:20 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Desres

I cannot help but wonder why (especially in the present economic climate) you'd think of buying a 10 yr lease & rent a business in an area you have no knowledge of. I also wonder why present "owners" are going ...maybe business was bad for them. I think you've already answered your own questions. If you haven't already committed (seems you haven't) maybe now's the time to do some harder thinking. Seems everyone says they're fed up in UK/wherever so they'll run a bar in Spain. 

All the best.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Congratulations! - 0 posts
Restaurant reviews benidorm - 0 posts
Internet-Pay as you go,or Monthly Contract ? - 2 posts
Using the spanish health service if under 65 and early retired. - 6 posts
Los Lagos court case won against developer! - 5 posts
Costa Brava - 0 posts
Help Snake - 3 posts
50cc motorbike for sale - 0 posts
2 seater sofa for sale - 1 posts
Can a mod please explain - 4 posts
flying pets with iberia - 5 posts
chrissy - 0 posts
Costs involved in Selling - 5 posts
New El Pirata in Albatera - 0 posts
Bank Guarantees, a new source of woe for off plan buyers - 1 posts
New Scooters 50 - 125 - 150 cc - 21 posts
Please I need some advice! - 5 posts
Two jobs in Spain? Is this possible - 1 posts
IBI Local taxes - 75 posts
Mirador Villa Phase 2 Fuente De Piedra - 2 posts
urgent - cycle hire - 0 posts
Living in Malaga - 0 posts
viva estates - 8 posts
Moving with a dog - 3 posts
Bank transfer to Holland - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x