Screwed by a Brit

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Well everyone has a habit of slagging off the Spanish for screwing them.
Welcome to the British con man.

Last week I flew over to our empty house to meet a delivery van with half a house worth of furnishings, both large and small, 
I waited in the empty house for the van for 5 days.
They didn't arrive. 
Having made calls since I got home it seems he has packed up the business and done a runner with our money and goods. He also took money from 3 other families for non-deliveries to Spain on the same non existent run.

Our insurance doesn't cover this eventuality and the police won't start trying to hunt him down until they have our official statement which can't be taken until Sunday because they are busy. 

I am gutted.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 4:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Laury, what can I say ? I haven't met you (yet) but I am so upset for you. 

Come on, name & shame, it's your right now to do so.

I am so sorry, friend.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 4:51 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
It was South Devon removals More. 
They took our clutter in to storage for us and quoted for the move last year.
That clutter is still in a storage unit but two weeks ago he picked up the bulk of stuff, a lot of which was new and proceeded to disappear with it.
The other people have still got their goods and lost a couple of thousand pounds. We lost the cash and the goods because he had only just collected it.
It seems he also  operated under the name  Home2Home Removals too. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 5:39 PM by Just Dan Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi  Laury
Sounds like a knee cap job
Where in Devon is this company
If nothing else lets stop em ripping some body else off

Just Dan

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 6:02 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Hi Dan.

It seems the company has been closed down. The offices and phones are gone. One of the people he cheated went looking for him at his home but he wasn't there. 
He was Plymouth based. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 6:42 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
Laury

How absolutely awful for you. 

Just a thought but did you pay anything to them by credit card as you may be able to claim something from the credit card company if you did. They may also be able to assist the police in tracing where the funds went.

All the Best

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 7/28/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 7:26 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Hi Noreen.

Unfortunately we paid by cheque.  No comeback at all, i'm afraid.  Even the new stuff we bought to send over was bought by switch card rather than credit card. Otherwise we may have been covered for some of it.

It seems we did everything wrong and we will end up about £4000 out of pocket. Which is a huge blow when we are trying to run two houses.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 7:42 PM by Just Dan Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Laury
Sorry to hear about this and have found over the years that the Brits can be at least as bad as we tend to trust our own in another country.
Now perhaps I am wrong here but surely a name and shame to help others is well in order hoewever posts have been deleted.
Surely E,O.S exist to give an actual full on view of Spain including both good and bad.
Surely there can be nothing wrong with giving help and advice on the positives and the pitfalls we have all experienced in Spain

Just Dan

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 7:49 PM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

Laury

I'm so sorry. That is just awful. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

We've been screwed by 3 British owned companies in a matter of a month, but nowhere near the extent you have. The worst thing is that you just don't know where to turn, do you?. 

I really hope the police take you seriously and take some action. How are all these companies allowed to get away with this?

I've learnt the hard way that in Spain, the companies with the largest profiles and biggest advertising campaigns are those that screw you over the most. I naively assumed that those companies with huge billboard and magazine spreads were reputable companies, more likely they need to advertise as word of mouth won't get them anywhere!

I hope you get some kind of recompense.

And I assure you that for every Brit who is prepared to rip you off there are 5 others round the corner waiting to help you (it just seems that those wanting to rip you off are all linked to Spain in some way!) along with lots of lovely Spanards too.

Don't get disheartened.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 7:49 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Sorry to hear of your problems Laury, it's the last thing you want happening so late in the day. As said previously, unfortunately the UK is just as full of shiseters as Spain.

Hope you get things sorted.

Mark

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 8:12 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
Laury

Ask your bank to provide you with a copy of the front & back of the cheque. It will have information on it that will help in tracking down their bank account & possibly them as well.

Good Luck.

Noreen 

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 8:19 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Thanks everyone. 

I think I may have to contact the bank. The police are pretty useless. I can't believe that they won't even start looking for him until after they take the statement on Sunday. It's just ridiculous. 
After numerous phone calls I have found 3 other people like us expecting delivery at the same time but fortunately they never collected their goods from storage so they just lost money. They also owe money to 3 storage companies locally. 
Seems to be a big thing really so why are the police sitting on their backsides doing nothing? 

I can suffer the loss of the money.... it's the loss of property that hurts.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 8:44 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi Laury,

The Mrs and I are shocked and deeply saddened by what has happened to you. The police should have more respect for the crime that has been perpetrated against you.

Go to Citizens Advice and tell them the response you got from the police, also make an appointment with your local MP and tell him/her what has happened, and the response you are getting from the police.

The Police in this country need a kick up the @rse!

Is this the website for the guy you are talking about:

www.southdevonremovals.com/

As if it is, then the Police can access the files at Spoton.net and get his details from when he registered the domain name with them.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 7/28/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 8:49 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Yes that WAS their website. 

The police don't seem interested in actually investigating the crime though. 
I wonder if Whois still have the details? There again it would probably be the business address and the place has been cleared out. 

What can Citizen's advice do? Is it really worth contacting them?

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 8:54 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
The CAB might be able to help you push the Police for a bit of action.

Also, your local MP, as it is your right to see him/her, and again they should be able to push the Police for some action.

PEOPLE LIKE THIS DO GET CAUGHT, IT IS JUST A MATTER OF TIME!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 9:08 PM by Just Dan Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Laury
Firstly this company is in liquidation and accountants in London
C.C.Js Total £8770.00
Spot on are based in higher Union Street Torquay.
Was this a Mr Warren if it is then finding him is no problem as he lives very near by

Just Dan

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 9:16 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Are you in Devon Dan?

Yes it is him and I had a home address which the police don't seem interested in and his offices are gone. I was hoping that he could be picked up while he still had our stuff but the longer it goes on the less chance of recovery. 
You managed to find more information than I did, How did you do that then? 

I don't know how it will help though if they won't pick him up. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 9:20 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
BTW... does the address you found have a road name beginning with an "L"?

Laury

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 9:22 PM by Just Dan Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Laury
S.D,R Removals Ltd  (South Devon Removals
Unit 18 Torbay Business Park
Wood View Road
Paignton
Devon TQ4 7HP

Same Directors

Incorporated after South Devon Removals Ltd
C.C.Js £8,122.00.

Just Dan

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 9:23 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
They left those premises last year and moved to Ivybridge and have left there now too.

I have made a LOT of phone calls over the last couple of days. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A new beginning (here's hoping !) - 2 posts
Which Removal Company? - 4 posts
Hoax Virus E-Mail Message - 3 posts
Shocking news: My hometown's Grand Pier burnt down earlier today. - 16 posts
Correct Spanish Address. - 7 posts
hello - 0 posts
If I cant sell - can I walk away without Spainsh bank coming after me in UK? - 7 posts
move to spain - 1 posts
When can you activate a BG? - 9 posts
Sailing Fees and Licenses for Sea and Fresh Water - 3 posts
Breaking ins - 2 posts
Great British Services Sat TV ? - 0 posts
A New Hello From us.... - 3 posts
TV IN COX ALICANTE HELP PLEASE - 3 posts
Jazzymike new member - 1 posts
aguilas dunas de cope - 1 posts
Rose and Thistle Pub, San Cayetano - 1 posts
Possible problem with our new community. - 11 posts
Ian's barber shop - 13 posts
Selling in the UK - 14 posts
Hayley - 7 posts
Clubs with pool in Barcelona? - 2 posts
Bank reposessions - 2 posts
Email and letters - 4 posts
Short Terms Rentals in Costa Del Sol - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 65

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x