Shocking news: My hometown's Grand Pier burnt down earlier today.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I was looking for something different for my 5000th post (soon) but NOT THIS !!!!

Fire has destroyed Weston Super Mare's Grand Pier today.

This was our beautiful Grand Pier  

I took the next two.

Weston is my hometown & the Grand Pier was always such a wonderful sight & very imposing. It had recently been bought by a couple who stopped people eating their own picnics on it & they weren't liked for that & it certainly upset many. Alcohol was banned too. But there was a lot going on there with new attractions being built & work was ongoing. This news earlier is a blow to us here & to holidaymakers whose holiday was built around visiting our pier.

If you put Sky News on ..  CLICK FOR SKY NEWS HERE .. it's the top story too with a video which I found so sad. Someone said it's taken the heart out of Weston & I tend to agree. 

Here's an account of what happened by THE GUARDIAN (Click link)

A huge fire has devastated the historic Grand Pier at Weston-super-Mare today, sending plumes of black smoke billowing over the Bristol Channel.

The blaze, which began shortly before 7am, ravaged the seaward end of the partly-wooden Grade II-listed pier.

It began just before 7am, and within two hours the pavilion building on the 104-year-old structure had been almost completely destroyed.

The cause of the fire is currently unknown, and a spokeswoman for Avon fire and rescue service was unable to confirm whether it had been started deliberately.

Six fire engines and 30 firefighters battled the flames. Nobody is believed to have been injured in the blaze.

Dee Williams, the deputy manager of a Weston-super-Mare hotel, said the pier had become an "inferno".

"I am watching it now and I think it is going to collapse," she said. "It is an inferno. There will be no pier by tonight.

"It is part of our identity and would really affect trade if we were to lose it."

The Grand Pier, one of the last piers to be built in Britain, was completed in 1904 to cater for Edwardian holidaymakers.

The town's second pier, the 1867 Birnbeck, is derelict and closed off to visitors.

New owners had recently bought and refurbished the Grand Pier, adding facilities including a £500,000 indoor go-kart track.

Today was not the first time the building had been hit by fire.

A 2,000-seat pavilion where opera, music hall and ballet were staged, closed following a fire in 1930, with the pier reopening three years later

----------------------------------------------------------

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/28/2008.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 12:01 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Hey More - I saw this on the BBC News and thought of you.  Very sad to see such a wonderful old structure destroyed...

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 12:30 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
bad news about the pier as well...................

(she knows i am only joking!!!) i hope!

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 12:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Georgia, I've been waiting to post this smiley, now's the moment.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 12:50 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Georgia you naughty boy.    Yes I just hope it was not done deliberately.   Pat 

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 1:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
More video HERE !

Pat, there's been a lot of anger directed towards the new owners of the Grand Pier who have stopped anyone from eating their own food & drink on it. Also there's a no alcohol rule since they bought the pier, which I think isn't such a bad thing as far too many undesirables just sit & consume huge amounts of alcohol all around our town. It's in our beautiful Grove park where we have so many alcohol drinkers & they often scare people, especially the older ones who want to enjoy the (once) peace in the park. It's ok to have a local law saying no alcohol in the parks & on the streets but it's not implemented, it's farcical.

Hubby is going into town, using his new free National bus pass  to go do some business with Nationwide (I'll email you about that) & he's taking the digicam to photograph the pier or what's left of it. Just seen helicoptor views of the pier which were amzaing. I have a friend arriving 2pm as we are members of a genealogy forum & are researching her family.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 1:31 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Joking.......Honest..............
sorry couldnt resist...............
I might lay low for a bit,i know she is going to kill me........

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 2:30 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Remids me of Roots character-- " Chicken George "(ia) 

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 5:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
My OH has been into town & taken these.....

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/28/2008.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 9:38 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar
Have emailed you More, it is so sad! If it was started deliberately by people with a grudge against the previous owners, they obviously didn't think of the devastating effect it would have on the whole town and the 'Westoners'. I did hear on the radio a little while ago that it might have been a chip fryer at fault. We will just have to wait and see what the investigation reveals.
Thinking of you.

Julia

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 10:32 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
My gosh, no pier at Weston on Mud.  What will people find to walk on now. 

Like 0      
29 Jul 2008 8:16 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
I am very sorry about that.  Try to get the good out of the bad. There is always.
Best wishes,
Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Jul 2008 3:54 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

hi its a great beach they say they are going to rebuild it as it is needed hope they do and make it as good and even better than before bye irene

Like 0      
29 Jul 2008 4:05 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi

I saw it  this morning on GMTV (N, there is no escaping GMTV - even in the south of Spain) but didn't realise it was your home town, the photos show there's not a lot left, a real shame.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2008 5:44 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
That's so sad More. 

Did it still have the little train on there? 
We used to pop to Weston for the evening on a regular basis in the 70s when we lived in Bristol. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
29 Jul 2008 6:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Laury, it did have a little train on the Grand Pier, you're right. 

If you look at the video you'll see the diddy train on the pier (that was ) as well as the promenade train.

Whilst Googling for "weston grand pier train" it threw up this in (click link)  
THE FAMAGUSTA GAZETTE , which was amazing as I used to live in Famagusta area, Cyprus.

This photo was taken from our friend's apartment.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/29/2008.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 1:43 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I went into Weston for the first time yesterday since hearing about the fire &, as we turn a bend where we used to see the amusements at the end of the pier, all we now see is twisted metal. We're allowed to walk on the pier so far along but we hadn't time, will go soon. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Correct Spanish Address. - 7 posts
hello - 0 posts
If I cant sell - can I walk away without Spainsh bank coming after me in UK? - 7 posts
move to spain - 1 posts
When can you activate a BG? - 9 posts
Sailing Fees and Licenses for Sea and Fresh Water - 3 posts
Breaking ins - 2 posts
Great British Services Sat TV ? - 0 posts
A New Hello From us.... - 3 posts
TV IN COX ALICANTE HELP PLEASE - 3 posts
Jazzymike new member - 1 posts
aguilas dunas de cope - 1 posts
Rose and Thistle Pub, San Cayetano - 1 posts
Possible problem with our new community. - 11 posts
Ian's barber shop - 13 posts
Selling in the UK - 14 posts
Hayley - 7 posts
Clubs with pool in Barcelona? - 2 posts
Bank reposessions - 2 posts
Email and letters - 4 posts
Short Terms Rentals in Costa Del Sol - 15 posts
how do you chat or reply to messages you read - 1 posts
http://www.costa-action.co.uk/ - 1 posts
Conflict in the Community - 46 posts
Change your UK bank to Alliance & Leicester Premier current a/c, get £100 & free annual European travel insurance. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x