If I cant sell - can I walk away without Spainsh bank coming after me in UK?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by Ant347 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I am in the same position as everyone else.  Interest rates have gone up and rental income down.  I cant afford to keep my house in Spain.  I have been trying to sell it for six months and have dropped the price down to euro140,000, (loosing e75k) which is not far off the mortage amount.

I have put £12k in this year alone and it is it is looking like a black hole, which no end in sight.

I am on the brink of walking away and defaulting on the mortgage.

Question is - can I? without the Spainsh bank chasing me in the UK, as if I can't get enough to cover the mortgage they won't either.
Any armchair lawyeres out there who know the answer to this.

Ive tried to go interest only but get refused because I have more than 50% of disposal income tied up in mortgages and loans - which is why I wanted to go to interest only in the first place - catch 22.

Tony

Like 0      
27 Jul 2008 6:08 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
You won't need armchair lawyers advice on here, there is a very good proffesional who will almost certainly spot this thread and tell you exactly where you stand. Good luck.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2008 6:58 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I am not a professional, but am assured by our Administrator's Lawyer that debts CAN now be chased up in England.
This was not always the case but from sometime last year banks are allowed to do this. Also debts  proved and sentenced before a Spanish Court can be followed up in England.
our Community is in the process of doing just this.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 10:41 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Tony,

As I can see, you have already tried to get a settlement with the lender bank...

have you tried renting with option to buy with a reasonable rent fare?

Banks will execute the debt in the UK if, through their own accounts, that is financially worth it .

Please, email us if you need a more personal advice.

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 9:51 PM by tweety5 Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

i am in the same boat. i think half of spain is!! i have tried talking to my bank and they just dont want to know. the fact is you cant give them what you havent got!!  spose the only way out is to do a runner and change your name by deed poll, its a shame this country make you do things like this..but it looks like its going that way!

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 10:59 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Hi Tony and Tweety - You are certainly not alone in this - I deal with people every day who have mortgages which are higher than the current market value of their properties and who cannot continue to pay their monthly bills.

I think you have to do some serious arithmetic and work out whether it is better to sell at a loss - rather than allowing the bank to repossess the property, selling it for a pittance and then pursuing you for the difference as well as charging you for the court proceedings.  It may be cheaper for you to sell in these circumstances than allow a repossession.

Sorry if this sounds very negative but if you cannot pay the mortgage and the bills on the property then you are going to make a loss whatever way you play it - just think very carefully about how you can minimise that loss.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 11:28 AM by Ian007 Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Hi Tony, just joined thread so sorry for late comments.

You have three options

1. Re-negotiate the mortgage to interest only to make things more affordable - if you can

2. Miss three mortgage payments and legal proceeding will be started. The bank will reposes the property. At a later date the property would be sold through an auction and depending on the sum attained would depend on the decision by the bank.

If the auction managed to reach the mortgage value- no problem

If the auction did not manage the mortgage value then it would depend on the amount. The bank will not chase you if it is financially not worth it and your debt would become toxic.

3. Offer to give the property back. The process in Spain is called "DACION EN PAGO" The bank may allow this to happen but it depends on the value to loan equation. If the bank can see a potential profit when they sell the property at auction or in any other way they may consider this to be a way forward. You would lose any investment you have put in to date.

There is a 4th option and that is to carry on and keep the property. Yes things are bad at the moment; yes the scare merchants are out in their droves and having a field day. We humans have very short memories, when the upturn comes (and it will) you may look back and thank god you did not do anything daft.

Hope this helps

Ian

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 11:40 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You may find this article interesting reading: http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/1094/legal-tip-27-dation-in-payment-a-right.aspx

Of course Banks are always willing to keeping you paying the mortgage, so presenting yourself as with enough rights for paying in kind ( with the keys, according to information above) will present your self as a most informed and protected client. 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

move to spain - 1 posts
When can you activate a BG? - 9 posts
Sailing Fees and Licenses for Sea and Fresh Water - 3 posts
Breaking ins - 2 posts
Great British Services Sat TV ? - 0 posts
A New Hello From us.... - 3 posts
TV IN COX ALICANTE HELP PLEASE - 3 posts
Jazzymike new member - 1 posts
aguilas dunas de cope - 1 posts
Rose and Thistle Pub, San Cayetano - 1 posts
Possible problem with our new community. - 11 posts
Ian's barber shop - 13 posts
Selling in the UK - 14 posts
Hayley - 7 posts
Clubs with pool in Barcelona? - 2 posts
Bank reposessions - 2 posts
Email and letters - 4 posts
Short Terms Rentals in Costa Del Sol - 15 posts
how do you chat or reply to messages you read - 1 posts
http://www.costa-action.co.uk/ - 1 posts
Conflict in the Community - 46 posts
Change your UK bank to Alliance & Leicester Premier current a/c, get £100 & free annual European travel insurance. - 0 posts
£19 Travelodge rooms in the UK ALSO 10€ Travelodge rooms IN SPAIN, check it out ! - 0 posts
Buying a spanish car - 5 posts
Jack Russell breeders in Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x