Euro 2008

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Is anybody watching it?

Am I alone in wishing Spain get knocked out?   If not (as I suspect), why is it that Brits living here don't feel particularly inclined to cheer on their host nation? Is it just because we (I) find it very annoying when Spain score, or win, and loads of drunken yobs drive around blowing their car horns for about 5 hours afterwards? Is it because British soccer yobs have such a bad name, when other nationalities can behave as badly (albeit better dressed) and get away with it?

Who do you think we'll see in the final? If I was a betting man, I think I'd have a flutter on Holland v Croatia.

There's been some great football to watch, but for me the best TV so far has been this Nike ad; it helps if you have a smattering of both Spanish and Scouse, of course. Despite what I said above, I think this is a great blend of two very distinct cultures and cause for celebration. Just brilliant!

Sorry all, just noticed that Technoape already started a thread on Euro 2008, so should have posted there. Justin, maybe you can move this post on to that thread and delete this one?

This message was last edited by Roberto on 6/15/2008.

This message was last edited by Roberto on 6/15/2008.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 7:01 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
Well, my husband is still watching (he's Italian) - I very much enjoyed the Nike ad. - very clever!

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 3:17 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Brilliant ad - made me laugh!

Im ok as I can support english (not there!) Greece, Italy and France (dads side) and Spain!

Last time the Greeks won - what a bril match it was!!!!!

Enjoy!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 3:31 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Watch out for Los Turkos!

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 3:35 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Hmmmmm - cant trust them you know!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 3:45 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Thought that was Greeks...Bearing Gifts!

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 4:22 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
We learned it from someone!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 5:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Watch out for the Romanians tonight, against the Dutch schoolboy team. Adios Italia y Francia!!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 8:46 AM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Well, the best-looking team got through then!! More eye-candy for us ladies for a little longer!

Like 0      
23 Jun 2008 6:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Quote me: "If I was a betting man, I think I'd have a flutter on Holland v Croatia." and "Watch out for the Romanians tonight, against the Dutch schoolboy team. Adios Italia y Francia!!" 
Clearly, I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about when it comes to soccer! 
I have to say, after last night's debacle, I'm relieved the boring Italians are out, but oh my God, you'd think Spain had just won a world war, not a mere quarter final of a regional soccer championship. I hope the Russians finish them off as decisevely as they did Holland, because if the blaring horns and fireworks exploding after winning a quarter final are anything to go by, if Spain win a semi, let alone a final (God forbid), I'm pretty certain my cat will suffer a serious coronary incident. (He is Spanish, but fails to see what all the excitement is about). The racket continued well into the small hours last night - so if they advance any further, I can envisage week-long street parties. It's really rather silly, isn't it?

Grumpy Old Git

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Jun 2008 8:18 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
you grumpy old monkey,i thought Victor Meldrew got hit by a car,it seems he is alive and well and living in Spain.
I sat up and watched the fireworks as my Italian wife sulked off to the bedroom uttering obscenities.
Come on Spain!!!!!!with all the doom and gloom abouit at the minute we need a little party spirit to get us going.
I stated at the start Spain v Germany final.
If that comes true grumpy chimps should be locked inside for at least a week..............

Like 0      
23 Jun 2008 8:40 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
Shame we don't live closer - my Italian husband could have sulked with your Italian wife!

Like 0      
26 Jun 2008 9:51 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Oi - Oi!

What's wrong with my 'Spain for Euro 2008' thread then eh, eh, eh! lol

Na! Only kidding, just noticed that we have I think three threads, all on the same subject of Euro 2008.

Never mind, at least ......

Spain is in the FINAL !!!!!!!!!

And me and me 'pri' mate will be in Duquesa on Sunday, and will go down the port to watch the final, maybe down the Jolly Roger, if the offer on the 'special EOS' cocktail is on the crads? (hint, hint)

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
26 Jun 2008 10:14 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Great stuff , should be a good finl.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2008 10:03 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Well ......

Spain is in the FINAL!!!!!

And we have one ape with a scowl on his face and one ape with an inane grin on his face!

Cor! What a load of Monkey Business. 

Looks like EOS is turning into PTA ..... Planet of The Apes!!!!

LOL

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Jun 2008 5:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
If you can't beat them, join them, as they say. 
Last night, grumpy old ape here went to watch it in a local Spanish bar. Seems to me the apparent passion for the game is completely fake. There's far more enthusiasm for the vastly more important Spanish passion for making noise for the sake of it! Some old campesino types in flat caps started fighting with some young moto-boys because they were throwing their pipa shells all over the floor; all the local lolitas watched the ensuing ruckas, shouting encouragement to all sides, and only my Czech mate (pardon the pun) and I actually watched much of the game. 
Grudgingly I have to admit Spain were worthy winners, and since some nice young German girls who were sitting next to us were in the mood for celebrating too, we went with the flow and ran down the street screaming our heads off like complete nutters and jumped in the fountain in the main square with everyone else. Normally such behaviour would land you in the local clink for the night - but since the local fuzz were doing the same as everyone else, there seemed no reason not to carry on like total morons on speed.
Seemed like every car and motorbike owner in town had nipped home to get their horns (some brought their cars and bikes too), and for the next few hours the whole town did a pretty good job of communicating their glee to fans hundreds of miles away in Russia, without the aid of modern telecommunications.
Looking forward to the final now. There's a nice clean and tidy little German bar nearby - think I'll go there to watch it with some boring, orderly and level headed aficionados of the Beautiful Game (not!)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jun 2008 6:46 PM by KarenDavid Star rating in Berkshire and Vera P.... 122 posts Send private message

I bet the noise was deafening last night and why not!!  I thinks it's brilliant Spain are in the final - they are gonna whoop the Germans!    I dont even really like football that much (like the big stuff though) and we should be backing Spain for Euro 2008 - I thought we love Spain and everything Spanish.  Of course, if England had qualified ............ so Viva Espana!!!!!

www.freewebs.com/casaella

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 9:48 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well done Spain great game bet the atmosphere is great lot's of fireworks tonight,  might be glad I am in Uk.                  Pat  

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 10:06 PM by tricia52 Star rating in Dublin. 277 posts Send private message

well done Spain, what a game?? Roll on the celebrations...

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 10:06 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
And the best team definitely won...

Roberto this is just for you.....

This message was last edited by foxbat on 6/29/2008.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

TDT - 2 posts
mijas - 12 posts
ice cream business? - 5 posts
Update Arenal Golf - 0 posts
Please can someone give me directions to Lo Crispin??? - 2 posts
Court case re Palmera Properties, Grupo Mirador and associated developers - 6 posts
I NEED A MOBILE MOPED MECHANIC! - 0 posts
Can Anyone Recommend a Good Property Management Company for the Calahonda Area. - 4 posts
living in a caravan in spain - 2 posts
Should I sell or hang on? - 35 posts
sky sports back - 0 posts
Recommendations needed for an agency for long term rental near Denia - 3 posts
Do you have a proper BG ? - 30 posts
hi all - 1 posts
hi there - 2 posts
Studio or above Costa Calida / Costa Blanca Max 100€ a week needed - 0 posts
Costa Blanca / Costa Calida Studio or above required - 2 posts
Headlight Conversion - 10 posts
FOR SALE - Satellite Internet Dish and Router - EASTERN ANDALUCIA - 0 posts
WANTED: Small Gas Fridge - Eastern Andalucia - 0 posts
TV in Fortuna - 7 posts
End of the Lisbon Treaty - 4 posts
Funiture Repair/Upholstery - 0 posts
help!! - 4 posts
Long term rental - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x