Eye on Spain looks rubbish...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 May 2008 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
...on 800 x 600 resolution!

My PC video card decided to die on me last night when I was working on some urgent stuff (isn't that the way it always is!).

It meant my monitor was blank!  I won't bore you with the details of how I recovered it but whilst I was doing it I had to run the card in it's basic setting.  It means running on a screen resolution of 800 x 600. 

Looking at my web stats it shows that about 5% of visitors are still using this resolution.  Here's what EOS looked like on my PC at that resolution:

You can see that you have to scroll to see the right side of the site!  Urgh.  That's horrible.

How can anyone surf the net on this resolution?   It's impossible.

What resolution are you running?  The easiest way to find out is by going to the following site:

What is my screen resolution

I'm sorry to all those running on an 800 x 600 resolution, there's just no way we could really make the site work for you!  Sorry.

Justin

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 5/21/2008.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
21 May 2008 11:49 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I was just coming in to blast you off the face of the earth for dissing our forum till I calmed down & saw it's YOU

God knows what I'm using but it's always been exactly fine.

Like 0      
21 May 2008 4:21 PM by wings Star rating in Leicester / Almoradi.... 26 posts Send private message

I'm using 1280 x 800 - so the link said!

c

Like 0      
21 May 2008 6:55 PM by PMillsom Star rating in Midlands. 469 posts Send private message

PMillsom´s avatar
1400 x 1050 which is ideal for EoS.

On Windows check or change your setting using  Control Panel,  Display, Settings,   then use Screen Resolution slider control.

Like 0      
22 May 2008 6:22 PM by KarenDavid Star rating in Berkshire and Vera P.... 122 posts Send private message

Dont worry about it EOS team I still luurve EOS.   I'm one of the 5% because I find it easier on my eyes.  

www.freewebs.com/casaella

Like 0      
30 May 2008 12:49 AM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
Hi EOS team,
I'm viewing  Eye on Spain on 1280 x 1024 in Firefox (haven't a clue if it looks any different in IE as I hardly ever go there these days).
And the forum looks great!
The only problem I have is that sometimes it takes a while to load (especially the 'post reply' section), but I guess that's more down to our 'Rural ADSL' connection than anything else

Like 0      
30 May 2008 3:27 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Actually we do seem to have an issue with the editor loading in Firefox at the moment.  It's loading very slow.  Not sure what's causing it but hope to solve it soon as we use Firefix too and it's very frustrating!

Thanks

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 May 2008 10:34 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
Thanks for letting me know about the posting slowness in firefox Justin,
To tell the truth, I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my pc, because It takes ages for me to post a message in here.  I even made sure my java was the latest version in case it was that.
I downloaded the latest version of AVG (8) a few days ago and thought it could be that too - guess it wasn't

Like 0      
30 May 2008 10:50 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
summer70....YOU'RE A STAR!  You've just hit the nail on the head.  It IS AVG 8 that's causing the problem.  I just tried it on a PC we have running version 7 and it doesn't suffer from the same slow loading problem!

Now I just need to work out why AVG 8 is having this effect

Justin

Like 0      
30 May 2008 10:57 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I've sorted it!

It's a problem with the "Link scanner" function in AVG 8.  It seems to be causing many people problems, and it's what's really been slowing down my site!

You can disable link scanner by double-clicking the AVG icon at the bottom right of your screen and then double-clicking "Link scanner" and disabling.

It's worked a treat. 

Thanks summer, I've always loved Firefox and this was giving me a real headache.

Justin

Like 0      
30 May 2008 10:58 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
I thought it might be AVG 8, which I why I mentioned it
I downloaded the tool bar, which I'm now regretting, because, even though I've since disabled it in Firefox, the extra 'precautions' that came with it are still there.  I'm thinking it could be that...

Like 0      
30 May 2008 11:00 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
Yay!
I've just disabled link scanner and you are right.
Things are much better now.
Thanks!

Like 0      
31 May 2008 12:21 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Yeah!

I didn't have a prob with EOS, it has always looked good to me, but a big "Yeah" to Summer70, well done new EOS member!

Love it when we get new members who know how to "sort things"!

Shame though, cos we will all be asking you loads of questions now!

Well done you, and a great big welcome to EOS...............!!!!!
kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
31 May 2008 12:31 AM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
Thanks Fibby

But I'm not too sure about this:

"Love it when we get new members who know how to "sort things"!

Shame though, cos we will all be asking you loads of questions now!"

I just dabble and browse a lot (I work online so I have to), but I am no expert! !!!

Nice to meet you

Edit: I think you have spoken to my hubby foxbat on this forum about the costs involved when I travelled to and from Gatwick.  It was just a shame that me and you lived at opposite ends of the A3.

This message was last edited by summer70 on 5/31/2008.

Like 0      
31 May 2008 12:37 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
You will learn!
When I said  we love new members who can sort things, I meant IT things............
You knew where the problem mght lay and sorted it!
Most of us lot would not have had a clue.........................!!!!!
Respect!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 12:55 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Posted about this on another thread, but thought it might get more noticed here:

I'm trying out Firefox, because everyone says IE is rubbish (although I don't have any real problem with it). So, can someone please tell me, why in FF, I cannot cut, copy or paste using my right mouse button, and more annoyingly, I cannot create automatic links just by typing a url, or copying and pasting it?
This only seems to be a problem on EOS forum so far......

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 1:52 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Actually, Robert, it's odd you should mention that as I've been trying to explain in PMs to Gypsy how she can get what Banco Halifax sent her by email onto a post on here. I explained it all very simply & she said she didn't see what I saw. I thought she wasn't keeping her curser on the highlighted area & explained she must, before using her right click (or she'd get what I've posted below) but she said she was using the right click on the highlighted area. Anyway, she said she can't get it to copy. She says ...

I am keeping my mouse on the highlighted area and this comes up,
as soon as I let go of left click on mouse, a small box with clip, print, standard selection on,
then I put mouse on highlighted area and press right click and I don't see copy, I see 

Back
Forward
---------------------
Save background as ...
Set as background
Copy background
Set as desktop item ...
-------------------
Select all
Paste 
--------------------
Create shortcut
Add to favourites
View source
----------------
Encoding 
--------------
Print
Refresh
------------
Properties

Whatever is going on ? Is this part of the same problem as you, or different ?

Can you help ?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 3:19 AM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
morerosado,
The difference is between IE and Firefox.

In IE, you can use the right click to copy and right click to paste directly into a forum, but in Firefox this doesn't work in the main body of  the post you are making to this forum. 
In firefox you can still scroll over a text, email or whatever (as long as it isn't in Word which is a whole other story...) and right click and copy, but if using Firefox in this forum, you cannot click the mouse to paste.  Instead you have to hit 'ctrl v' to paste the text into your message.

Roberto,
What Foxbat said on the other thread is correct.
In Firefox when posting to Eye On Spain forums, you need to follow the above procedure as I answered to morerosado.

Posting a url in Firefox:
When you want to paste a url into your post, you scroll over the words you want to use as the link, then click on the link icon above (picture of world with chain in front), a box will open and you can paste in the url (you don't need to use ctrl v for this part) and click save.  You will then, not only have a blue url showing up, but it will be the name of the link (rather than a messy url), which helps people a lot.

The 'Firefox thing' does not apply to all forums, but it does to many, depending on the script they are using.
Hope that helps

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 11:27 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Summer, that isn't what's happening then with Gypsy. She never sees the copy facility no matter what she does. I'm not clever enough to go into all this. I know what I do but it seems that way won't work for her. Thanks for explaining but I'm lost. (Mine works, I'm ok. )

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 1:43 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Thanks Summer70, at least now I know it's not just me! I thought maybe I had it wrongly configured. I'm well aware of the alternative ways of copying & pasting, as well as adding a link, but they're basicaly far less convenient - so despite popular opinion, I think I'll be going back to IE. Some other sites I regularly use also look crap in FF. What's so bloody great about it?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Have I a video for you HERE ? Spare pair of undies needed. - 13 posts
New Rules for Renting? - 11 posts
Roda Golf Apartment wanted for rental - 3 posts
Insuring a Spanish Caravan - 3 posts
Child Protection URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! - 12 posts
Potty Paula Whitely Pilar De La Horada - 0 posts
IADJ tax refund - 0 posts
Comunidad corruption problems - 17 posts
A VERY SAD AND SORRY STORY - 0 posts
TOLDO/SUN AWNING - 1 posts
TDT Transmitter Location - 3 posts
Reposessions How long does it take? - 4 posts
Question - about experiences - 0 posts
Good morning everyone! - 8 posts
Just trying out my Avatar - 3 posts
New free directory - 5 posts
transfers from alicante to guardamar - 1 posts
Kitchen 4 Sale - 2 posts
Oven, Hob & Extractor For Sale - 0 posts
Fridge Freezer 4 Sale - 0 posts
Fridge Freezer 4 Sale - 0 posts
Washing Machine 4 Sale - 0 posts
Van Space - 0 posts
Anyone in R4 out there end of August? - 12 posts
Long term rental required Alicante - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x