Have I a video for you HERE ? Spare pair of undies needed.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 May 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
As my OH said "WHO BUILT THE PATH THOUGH ?"

Watch it full screen & go to the loo before watching. 

Like 0      
21 May 2008 12:42 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Bug**r it, it wouldn't embed !    Try again.

Any problems click this link http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1438490562

Like 0      
21 May 2008 12:58 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Awesome! I've always fancied going for a stroll up there, but a good friend of mine (Spanish) who is an experienced rock climber told me the path is "not so good" these days!!!!!!!!!!! 

Now that I've seen it, I don't have to bother. Thank you for that!
For anyone braver than me, you'll find it near El Chorro, which is between Álora and Antequera (Andalucia, north of Malaga). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caminito_del_Rey
It's a beautiful area, easily day tripable from the coast, and offers plenty of other less hair-raising opportunities. Personally, I enjoy kayaking on the Ardales lakes, followed by a BBQ in the woods. Call me boring if you like!

This message was last edited by Roberto on 5/21/2008.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 May 2008 5:58 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I nearly choked on my cornflakes watching that!!!   My stomach is still turning at the thought of watching it - let alone knowing those people were actually up there!!  Amazing!!

Like 0      
21 May 2008 7:19 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
WOW!! I have no problem with heights but that would give even me the willies!!

Fantastic video.

Like 0      
21 May 2008 10:32 AM by PeterH Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Agree, awsome.

I've been to El Chorro several times and looked up at the path from the road. That's enough to make your stomach churn. A beautiful area, and yes, easily day tripable from the coast. We can do it in about 1 hour from Riviera del Sol near La Cala de Mijas.

There's a little cafe near the railway station with great views down the ravine which is well worth a visit.

As for who built it, don't know but they probably weren't paid enough. I think it was built for king Alfonso the something or other when he opened the dam in early 1900's. Excuse my ignorance on this matter.

Like 0      
21 May 2008 6:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
The Wikipedia link in my previous post doesn't appear to be working, but if you Google for "Camino del Rey" you'll find plenty of info. I showed the video to my mate this morning. He said he's walked it a thousand times, the first time when he was about 14! The last time was a few years ago (some kids from Malaga fell to their deaths a few years ago when one of the cables snapped, which kind of took the fun out of it) but he says it's not got any worse since he was last there! It's supposed to be prohibited to go there, but if you have rock climbing gear (harness etc.) there's nothing the Guardia can do to stop you. It is after all a major rock climbing area. Apparently on weekends, there is a Guardia patrol at the entrance to the train tunnel, to stop people going up.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 May 2008 6:57 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Roberto, my friend, your link wasn't completed, that's all. It needs the More's touch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caminito_del_Rey (all you didn't do was hit the space bar which would've turned the link blue with underlining too) 

It is a fantastic area & when I've got time, as I need to cook right now, I'll enjoy reading up on it so thanks.

Like 0      
24 May 2008 6:32 PM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

ooowerr not for me that one fab though a bit different to a walk round the lakes.

Jeanie.

Like 0      
25 May 2008 10:14 AM by BobShe Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Wow that was amazing!!!! I am going to watch that again when I have sufficiently composed myself (spare pair of undies definitely needed!).Heights are not my thing - perhaps that is why the family came rushing in when they heard me talking to myself (well some chosen words were uttered).  I am always complaining because we never go anywhere exciting or DIFFERENT but now I have watched that I will give it a miss, but thanks to you I am glad I experienced it.

GREAT - FANTASTIC

BobShe

Like 0      
25 May 2008 2:38 PM by KarenDavid Star rating in Berkshire and Vera P.... 122 posts Send private message

OMG!   I am really bad with heights and my stomach was churning just watching the video.   The way that guy just walked over big holes and along the metal that wasnt even as wide as his show made me shudder.  Excellent video and beautful area.

www.freewebs.com/casaella

Like 0      
25 May 2008 2:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Youtube has quite a few on Caminito del Rey, look at one here & it'll give you more after video ends.

Like 0      
25 May 2008 2:55 PM by KarenDavid Star rating in Berkshire and Vera P.... 122 posts Send private message

Just looked it up on Wikipedia - There was a budget of 7million Euros allocated in 2006 for restoration and was originally completed by workers between the two falls for transportation etc in 1906.  I wouldnt be able to do it no matter how safe it was, I couldnt do Sidney Harbour bridge and that's nothing compared to this!  

www.freewebs.com/casaella

Like 0      
25 May 2008 4:26 PM by BobShe Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Morerosado

FANTASTIC.  Please keep them coming.  I am mesmorized.

Bobshe

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Rules for Renting? - 11 posts
Roda Golf Apartment wanted for rental - 3 posts
Insuring a Spanish Caravan - 3 posts
Child Protection URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! - 12 posts
Potty Paula Whitely Pilar De La Horada - 0 posts
IADJ tax refund - 0 posts
Comunidad corruption problems - 17 posts
A VERY SAD AND SORRY STORY - 0 posts
TOLDO/SUN AWNING - 1 posts
TDT Transmitter Location - 3 posts
Reposessions How long does it take? - 4 posts
Question - about experiences - 0 posts
Good morning everyone! - 8 posts
Just trying out my Avatar - 3 posts
New free directory - 5 posts
transfers from alicante to guardamar - 1 posts
Kitchen 4 Sale - 2 posts
Oven, Hob & Extractor For Sale - 0 posts
Fridge Freezer 4 Sale - 0 posts
Fridge Freezer 4 Sale - 0 posts
Washing Machine 4 Sale - 0 posts
Van Space - 0 posts
Anyone in R4 out there end of August? - 12 posts
Long term rental required Alicante - 1 posts
Bad Experiences??? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x