New user sign ups procedure review

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 May 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

As has been seen over the last couple of days from surplus01, a spammer can cause real hassle on this forum. It is too easy for someone to join and just flood the forum with spam. Is it possible that the sign up process cannot be completed "there and then"? In other words, the new user submits their details and the account then has to be approved by following a lin provided in an email to verify their address. If there is a waiting period and an email validation process, it may make these scum of the earth spammers think twice about signing up as even when you delete their posts, it still shows up on the list of last postings.

Mark

Like 0      
17 May 2008 7:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Ditto Mark. I've had to wait to be approved on various forums. It's getting ridiculous.

Like 0      
17 May 2008 8:21 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Not as ridiculous as the situation on our forum where the same person keeps registering under different names.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
18 May 2008 10:21 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I see yet another spammer has registered and is posting today .

Hasn't Justin dealt with the issue on your forum Noreen? I know certain facilities have been disabled from what I have read. Must confess, I don't really know what is going on there .

Mark

Like 0      
18 May 2008 11:08 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

HI Mark

I thought it had been sorted but the same individual has now registered as yet another name.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) they are not clever enough to disguise themselves & gave the game away quite quickly with the tone & content of their posts.

It seems also that no matter which of their multiple names they use, they can't resist having a dig at me either, so that gives them away too.

What they need to realise is that the vast majority of residents are totally fed up with their deceit & underhand tactics. The majority of us just want to get on with enjoying our little piece of Spain & do not want to be subjected to these ridiculous childish games.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
18 May 2008 11:15 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
18 May 2008 11:40 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Yes, this is becoming a problem.

Do you think we should just implement the system so that we have to approve every new registration?

We can't even cope with activating PM facilities at the moment

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 May 2008 11:42 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
What you need are more cats to moderate, Justin. Train a few more up !

Like 0      
18 May 2008 11:51 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

What about if new members are only allowed to make say one post until they are approved??

Justin

P.S. Paris is taking ages, she's finding it really difficult to type with her paws!

P.P.S. Noreen, I saw the "spammer" on your forum and disabled her account...AGAIN!!

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 May 2008 12:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I think you need to prioritise Justin, (sorry if that sounds provocative) and make more use of the members that are willing to help. With a forum of over 25,000 members, you really need more than 2 moderators to be effective. I also thought the PM activation for new users would be an automatic thing after X amount of posts, is this not the case? I have noticed that a few members have petitioned to have their PM's activated early, but surely if it is the t&c's that you have to make X amount of posts before you can send PM's, then I don't see what the issue is. Of course, if every member has to be approved before they can post on the forum, there is no need to restrict access to PM's as email addresses have been shown to be valid at signup. Other forums can take 2 or 3 days to process signups, so there is no need to have a general rush to proceed with the sign ups. At the end of the day, if the people are joining genuinely, they won't mind waiting a day or two. You could also have all new signups delivered to a different email address signup@eos or something like that and delivered to another mailbox, thereby making it easier to see how many new members there are?

Mark

Like 0      
18 May 2008 12:09 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Thanks Justin.

If there is anything I can do to help with whatever options you go for, please let me know.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
18 May 2008 12:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I think Mark's post was excellent.

Let's face it, Justin, it must take you ages to knock the spammers off here after they've been so annoying.  I can't recall how many times I've hit the spam button & notified EOS rather than post something as some tend to do. (I remember you asked us not to post anything but to advise you by hitting the spam feature). They tend to spam after midnight generally I have noticed (I'm online often till 2am doing allsorts of things, my friends in the USA & Australia are on messenger then).

Like 0      
18 May 2008 12:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Now and then I need a good kick up the backside (just ask Susan!).

Mark is right.  I need to sort out the moderator facility and get some help!

I'll make it a priority and also change the sign up procedure.

Another busy week ahead then!

Justin

Like 0      
18 May 2008 1:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Personally, I don't like new members to sign up just to flog their private stuff (Booboo, a brand new member, has just created FIVE threads just to flog stuff) or just to advertise their rentals on these boards then they are never seen again. I think if some members are kind enough to spend time helping others, never to get a reply, that isn't right. I've sent endless PMs in response to members getting in touch & only a few pop back to say thanks. Those who do are extremely grateful & never stop saying thanks. There's a distinct difference between using the forum & abusing the forum.  

I believe we should all help each other & not use the forum as a spamming machine, which (whether some like it or not) it is becoming at times.

But there you go, it'll always be the same on forums, I guess.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/18/2008.

Like 0      
18 May 2008 4:18 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Our Spammer is back again with yet another different name.

In the past week, the same person(s) used 6 different names to log in.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
18 May 2008 4:46 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I did notice that Noreen. Perhaps Justin can ban the user by blacklisting their ip address (assuming they have a static ip).

Mark

Like 0      
18 May 2008 5:04 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Mark

I think Justin has tried to do that but they still seem to be managing it somehow!

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
18 May 2008 6:10 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Yes, tried everything with your particular spammer.  I will put some measures in place over the next few days which will hopefully solve the problem forever...I promise!

Justin

Like 0      
18 May 2008 6:24 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Thanks Justin

We know that you are doing your best. You must be as fed up with it as the rest of us are.

Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Salespersons have rights - 14 posts
Just in case anyone has missed this - 0 posts
Require: Long Term Rental 30 minute drive max from Torrevieja 6 months poss 12. - 6 posts
Robert and Julie Haworth - 15 posts
Moving to Las Kalendas - 2 posts
Moving to Las Kalendas - 0 posts
anyone buying on R19? - 18 posts
Water Bills - How much should you really pay?? - 7 posts
Restaurants in Aguilas town - 9 posts
New guy would like some help. - 11 posts
Holidays - 4 posts
Sofa and Sofa Bed - 0 posts
CARS - BUY IN UK OR SPAIN?? - 20 posts
Jumilla - 2 posts
villa@La campaneta county of Orihuela - 2 posts
R2 - Plots 123-197 - 23 posts
Bahia del Golf - Almerimar - looking at buying - 4 posts
20kg hold luggage weight - 26 posts
Help with capital gains tax - 2 posts
Caravan - 10 posts
attention all owners - 0 posts
kids activities / groups / out of school clubs/ football coaching in costa del sol ?? - 3 posts
Has anyone any completionnews at all? - 2 posts
La Vizcaronda, Duquesa, Manilva - 19 posts
Karen & Terry Beattie - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x