Snagging surveyors

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 May 2009 8:29 AM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

Don't rely on guarantees! Fingers crossed we won't have to call on our 10-year stuctural guarantee because we have no idea who the insurance company is. We thought there was also protection from the developer undertaking snagging, plus three and five year guarantees. We had no response to our request for snagging defects  to be fixed in 2006 and have taken developers to court. We also thought that we were covered by the 3 and 5 year guarantees we'd read about.

This is what our lawyer has just told us.

"I confirm that the ten year insurance does not cover the reparations that you need. The one and three year insurance is not yet an obligation for the developers even if it is stated in law their responsibility during this periods for damages."

Also the law doesn't always help..

Regarding the lawsuit (presented a year ago), at this stage I am sorry to inform you that there is no progress what so ever. The number of the process in the court number 1 of Estepona is XXXXXXX  but we have not received any communication. As you know, Estepona is unfortunately the worst town to litigate but we could not choose. 

Remember Dockens' Jardine and Jardine. 

Like 0      
18 May 2009 12:44 PM by Surveyor Costa Blanca Star rating in Valencia. 10 posts Send private message

I am pleased to see your posting on this Lizh.

I had a client this week cancel a survey because the agent had told them that a house was 'still under the 10 year guarantee', when I sent the client an article on just how worthless the 'guarantee' can prove to be, they re-booked the survey.

The only way to minimise future problems even on newbuild properties, is to get all defects assessed and corrected prior to paying final monies over to the developer. If the developer won't correct issues in order to complete the sale, they are hardly likely to jump to it post completion. Last week I witnessed a developer refusing to carry out just €1000 of relatively minor repairs prior to completion and final payment on a E600k villa. I have other clients taking the same developer to court for ignoring defects.

Buyer's should not be bullied by developers or agents, and developers and agents should realise that the 'bad taste' left with many purchasers (and their professional representatives) will result in very negative publicity and be of detrement to future sales, costing them far more in the long run than it would to have a couple of competent subcontracted workmen putting things right and keeping the buyers happy.

Like 0      
18 May 2009 1:14 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Mark I absolutely agree with your comments here but there is a more fundamental issue where changes in law, and the support of a good independent lawyer, is required

First of all there are no legal grounds, apart from serious structural defects, or if the property fails to meet the agreed specification,  on which a buyer can retain any money, or refuse to complete, on a new property, based on normal snagging defects

Next there is no legal obligation that requires the developer to even allow a property inspection prior to completion

I always think that there is value in getting the property checked by a professional even before you come to Spain to complete but the normal process operated is that developers will typically only allow inspections 1-2 days prior to completion

Many developers won´t even consider snagging repairs until after completion and I have many examples of paperwork that specifically states repairs will be completed up to 30 working days after completion, this clause written in Spanish on the form the buyer is expected to sign

We all know the situation regarding some lawyers relationships with the developer or agents, the stories regarding BG and deposits taken without planning consent

I know from operating for the last 5 years in Spain that the developers don´t worry  about negative publicity as the law is on their side

Also I have seen some real success in disputes like this by involving OMIC the Spanish consumer organisation and getting tem to investigate by using The Compaints Form system

Like 0      
18 May 2009 6:40 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

Thank you for this information. Where do I find OMIC? (Or is that OMiG!) Lizh

Like 0      
18 May 2009 6:42 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Check  on the web and they are normally at your nearest Town Hall

Like 0      
19 May 2009 6:38 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

OMIC means Local Office for Consumers Information. You can find here  the  map of the net of offices all over Spain: http://consumo-inc.es/directorio/interior/omic/omic.htm

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Jun 2009 7:27 PM by Anjinsan Star rating in Kildare. 62 posts Send private message

Anjinsan´s avatar

Hi all,

I am just completing the purchase of a property in Spain and used Roy Howitt of InspectaSpain for the snagging of the property.

I recommend Roy's service to anyone looking for a professional and thorough job in getting your property properly checked out . I also found him very helpful and full of good advice in all aspects of owning a property in Spain.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Snagging surveyors - 0 posts
SHOPPING .. LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND - 3 posts
Personal Safety - 2 posts
Importing a car into Spain tax free - 1 posts
Lo Crispen ALGORFA Geoffrey - 1 posts
Handyman for hire! - 0 posts
Malcolm - 1 posts
Malcolm - 7 posts
La Canada San Miguel - 1 posts
Spanish Festivals - 12 posts
Sant Ana Golf Jumilla(San Jose) - 5 posts
Punta Plata Apartments - Estepona - 1 posts
Habitation Licence Granted, But Apartment Not Ready. - 6 posts
Do not use - 22 posts
Planning permission - 0 posts
Habitation License - 1 posts
Webcam - 9 posts
Cudeca on Canal Sur - 0 posts
Spanish Healthcare - 4 posts
PRINCESS KRISTINA properties - 22 posts
TONIGHT " SICK IN THE SUN" REPORTS ON EXPATS IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Commercial Rentals or Market Stall in Estepona - 3 posts
Golf in the Duquesa area - 3 posts
CAR HIRE IN SPAIN (REVIEWS WEBSITE) - 0 posts
IDENTITY CARDS - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x