Spanish Festivals

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Hi.  We 've heard that the feast of San Juan is a big celebration in Spain and we would like to incorporate it in our holiday.   We are particularly interested in the Benalmadena/Arroyo area.  We have read that there is a big firework display on the beach near Castle Bil Bil, can anyone give us information on dates etc...is it 23rd June every year?  Thanks in advance

Like 0      
30 Jan 2007 4:05 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Cant remember is San Juan the one where everyone gets down and dirty rolling in the surf at midnight - bit like throwing the car keys on the coffee table and going home with the person whose keys you pick up. Fireworks on the beaches here have to be seen to be believed - better than anything I have ever seen and I have been to a few - the Spanish love a firework party and when they party on the beach they let everything go. Will try and confirm the date for you.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
30 Jan 2007 4:11 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/16/2007.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2007 4:28 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Siempre trabajo! You having probs keeping up with me.....thats a laugh!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
30 Jan 2007 4:38 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Got up late!!  You posted that message at 4:11 PM!  Wow, you must have got up REALLY late today.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Jan 2007 4:46 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/16/2007.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2007 8:16 PM by linnie Star rating in London/Benalmadena P.... 69 posts Send private message

linnie´s avatar

To Crackers.

San Juan Festival is the same day every year. It is the saints day of San Juan or anyone called John!!

I lived in Arroyo for 10 years and this date is also the day the Feria (fair) starts.  On the eve of San Juan there are big bonfires on the beach and supposedly anyone called John or Juan should bathe in the sea at midnight for good luck the rest of the year.   This was the highlight of my childrens year as they got to dress up in flamenco or other traditional dresses and go to the feria and have a great time on the rides and in the Casitas ( sort of beer tents with entertainment).  The feria stays open all night till about 7 in the morning for about 4 or 5 days.  By the time I'd lived there a few years, even I bought a flamenco dress and learnt sevillianas ( a dance) - oh, happy days!

You must go in June if you are in the Benalmadena area as it is an experience, any more info. send me a p.m.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2007 12:03 AM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

I went to a festival a few years ago called La Tomatina. It was one crazy day out. You have to travel to a small town called Bunol which is about 30 minutes from Valencia by local train. When we arrived there was about 50,000 people packed into the narrow streets. After about 2 hours of singing and getting drenched with hose pipes by old grannys on their rooftop, a huge explosion goes off in the distance, then a convoy of lorries drive through the crowd carrying 120,000 tonnes of tomatoes and thats when the mother of all food fights begins. Its normally held the last Wednesday in August.

Westport

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 2:35 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Thank you Linne & Smiley.  Sounds too good to miss!  So it looks like we should be ok as long a we include 22nd June onwards in our holiday dates.  Whereabouts does the Feria take place?

To Westpoint :  Don't think I fancy the sound of 'La Tomatina' but thanks for the info.  You're right, it does sound crazy!

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 2:59 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Wow linnie that festival sounds great. Do you think the good luck for a year thing will work if my husband (John) goes swimming in the North Sea at midnight on that day????  We could do with a bit of good luck!

Trish x

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 4:01 PM by linnie Star rating in London/Benalmadena P.... 69 posts Send private message

linnie´s avatar

The feria takes place on the Feria Ground next to the Paloma Park and  Dolphinarium in Arroyo de la Miel. It is half way up between the coast and Arroyo village( though it is not much of village these days more of a town).  The eve of San Juan is celebrated all over Spain but San Juan is the patron saint of Arroyo de la Miel so that is why they have the feria as well.   Fireworks are awesome and you should go on the first night of the opening of the feria as there is a procession through the village carrying the statue of the saint to officially open the fair-- more fireworks  etc. It is an experience. Remember though a lot of the shops close early that week also banks on some days. I am trying to arrange a week then myself perhaps we could all meet up.  Any more info you need just get in touch.

To Trish:  I think its worth giving it a go having a bathe in the North Sea but might be a bit colder than the Med!!

Love  Lindaxxx

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 4:07 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Think you are right Linda, may just book some flights eh? Any excuse for a holiday and John cant say no, cos he may get good luck!!!

Trish x

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 5:00 PM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

I remember the San Juan fiesta las year in Valencia, I live right near the Malvarossa beach, I couldn´t believe how many people could fit onto it! There were 3 live music stages, bonfires all over the beach with large groups gathered round, people arriving with shopping trolleys full of food and drink. I gave up at about 2am but people (families with grannies and babies aswell as younger groups) were still arriving. The beach is always lit up at night so they make good use of it anyway but this night was something else. I am inviting a group of friends over this year because nothing in the UK compares with this.

Also here in Valencia, coming up in March is the Fallas, this too is pretty amazing, the Spanish love of fireworks comes into its own with gunpowder firecrackers being set off all over the place and at 2pm everyday in the town hall square the Mascletas, which is 15-20 minutes of these crackers set off to a rhythm, bring goose bumps to your body and even tears its so amazing. Tradesmen spend a whole year making gigantic statues out of papier mache, wood and polistyrene (and anything that burns well) they are mounted in the streets and on the 19th burnt to a cinder, again totally amazing, the firebrigade hose down the buildings, street lights and electric cables! to stop them from catching light! Could you imagine that in UK!

And of course we´ve got the great Americas Cup here too this summer!

I won´t go on, check out the valencia tourist website... www.comunitatvalenciana.com   

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sant Ana Golf Jumilla(San Jose) - 5 posts
Punta Plata Apartments - Estepona - 1 posts
Habitation Licence Granted, But Apartment Not Ready. - 6 posts
Do not use - 22 posts
Planning permission - 0 posts
Habitation License - 1 posts
Webcam - 9 posts
Cudeca on Canal Sur - 0 posts
Spanish Healthcare - 4 posts
PRINCESS KRISTINA properties - 22 posts
TONIGHT " SICK IN THE SUN" REPORTS ON EXPATS IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Commercial Rentals or Market Stall in Estepona - 3 posts
Golf in the Duquesa area - 3 posts
CAR HIRE IN SPAIN (REVIEWS WEBSITE) - 0 posts
IDENTITY CARDS - 9 posts
Disney in Spain? - 19 posts
Mortgage for short term - 3 posts
GPS THEFT - 0 posts
Great music .. well, I like it.......... - 2 posts
la tercia real - 6 posts
Illegal builds - 6 posts
Appartment to Rent - 0 posts
Do Agents "split" commission ? - 10 posts
Never on time! Here's why - 1 posts
Emma's Fund - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x