IDENTITY CARDS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by Janmet Star rating in UK. 185 posts Send private message

Can anyone answer this question? I have been informed that I wiil have to carry photo id at all times, Is this true? Or is it only if I drive a vehicle?

Like 0      
28 Jan 2007 6:49 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar
I've NOT heard THAT. (Will be watching this thread.) No one's mentioned it in any of my other Spanish forums. Smiley, over to YOU !

Like 0      
28 Jan 2007 6:58 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

Hello Jammet,

I think that they have mentioned this to you in the event of payment with credit card, so you can identify yourself...... I know it is not common practice in other parts of the world, but here, you are almost allways required to identify yourself to pay w/credit card..... I think personnally it works on our favor in case we have "lost" the card.

Cheers,

Juan.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2007 8:58 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I have always been under the impression that by law you have to carry some form of photo id with you at all times.  As Spanish citizens all carry their DNI card then they automatically do this.  As Juan states you need photo ID to pay by credit card anywhere.

So, anyone know if it IS actually law?

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
29 Jan 2007 10:02 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
By Law you must carry photgraphic ID at all times. If driving the vehicle documents (insurance, matricula etc and photo driving licence or international driving licence) must be with you in the event of being stopped. Passports are an inconvenient thing to carry around with you so if you have the new UK photocard driving licence keep that with you. Alternatively what I did when first here was to colour photocopy the important page of my passport - shrink it to credit card size and have it laminated - cheap as chips 3 Euros or so. Then keep it in your wallet or purse with all the other stuff. Got stopped a couple of times and although not the official document the police seemed to accept it - generally the same thing is acceptable when using a credit card but have yet to find a bank that will accept it and they want the official thing.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 3:27 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Last year, while on holiday in Barcelona, my friend had her purse stolen from her bag (in the grounds of the cathedral, of all places!)  We had to sit for hours in the police station to obtain a crime number to enable us to make an insurance claim only to be told in quite a threatening manner that we were breaking the law by not having our passports on us. 

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 7:00 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Crackers if you had had a laminated copy of the important page it should have been good enough - at the end of the day if they had nicked her bag then likely the passport gone too. The Old Bill donw this way seem quite happy with the laminate - at least last time I got tugged they were cool.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 7:28 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Crackers,

I use a laminated passport, credit card size and have had no problems so far.

It only cost about 3€ in a local photo copy shop.

Most shops accept it and I feel safer leaving my passport in the safe in my apartmento!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 9:37 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar
We had our passports condensed & laminated too, 2 euros each in a computer shop in Quesada by The Arches. Carrefour wouldn't accept it though when trying to use a debit card but generally we pay cash there anyway.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2007 10:09 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Thanks Smiley.  The police didn't seem to appreciate our sense of humour when we told him it was just as well we hadn't carried passports......maybe he was having a bad day just like us!  Good idea to condense and laminate them, we'll have to try it.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Disney in Spain? - 19 posts
Mortgage for short term - 3 posts
GPS THEFT - 0 posts
Great music .. well, I like it.......... - 2 posts
la tercia real - 6 posts
Illegal builds - 6 posts
Appartment to Rent - 0 posts
Do Agents "split" commission ? - 10 posts
Never on time! Here's why - 1 posts
Emma's Fund - 2 posts
TREVOR MCDONALD PROGRAMME MONDAY 29TH - 20 posts
ROYAL CABAPINO - 1 posts
4sale - 8 posts
Buying in a polaris resort - 10 posts
Car Hire - 7 posts
Where to live on the Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Property to rent in Estepona - 17 posts
Building permit - 24 posts
Los Granados del Mar - 1 posts
TONIGHT .. C4 A PLACE IN THE SUN, HOME OR AWAY ..LONDON / MARBELLA - 3 posts
Kristina Szekely involved in the Malaya case? - 12 posts
I.V.F. and completion - 5 posts
air conditioning - 3 posts
Healthcare in the UK - 37 posts
Individual Room Sizes - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x