Spanish Healthcare

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by donaldson Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

After watching Trevor McDonald on "tonight" programme highlighting "Sick in Spain" this encourages everyone thinking of relocating to Spain to obtain private healthcare cover. Apparently the Health Minister has pledged in Murcia only for all expats.,within a year from now to receive free healthcare as in U.K.immaterial of age. The people participating on the programme told some scary stories, and I re-iterate to say "OBTAIN PRIVATE HEALTHCARE AND PAY THE PREMIUM AS IT WILL BE MONEY WELL SPENT LATER" better to be safe than sorry!!. Any feedback..I will be interested to hear on this subject.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2007 10:13 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - I saw part of the programme and agree that private health insurance is a must.

I am hoping to move out over the next few years and have been looking at a franchise with a British Home Care company who are just beginning to branch out into Spain.  They reckon that there are so many ex-pats now that there is a huge market for good quality Home Care services. 

Would like to know what you all think - is this a growing market or will those who actually need the service not be able to afford to pay for it??

Like 0      
01 Feb 2007 2:40 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Claire lots of ex pats on the CDS asset rich cash poor - property bought 10 years ago that has mutliplied in value severail times over - there is also considerable wealth here too so reckon there is a market for it but would probably need the language for dealing with hospital staff etc

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
01 Feb 2007 4:27 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

I just want to say a pledge of the Spanish socal security.... the only limitation for expats is the language barrier........ but as the hubbie of a woman who was TERRIBLY sick ( a year and 1/2 ago I was counting minutes) I have to say that Spanish Social Security has saved her life and continously look after her..... the Dra de cabecera ( family Dr) ( Adela Castañon Baquera) is an "angel" which I do not know why is walking on earth..... I even patted her on her back to see if she had some sort of wings folded, but not.....

I had private health insurance for 7 years and barely used them as they were too dry for me to tell them my stories... Once I went with a swollen elbow and ordered a full TACSCAN.....

My advice or recomendation...... learn Spanish and go for the Spanish Soc. Sec........ if the illness is grave....... they help you with medicines, etc.... which otherwise would be impossible to front.

Cheers,

Juan

Like 0      
01 Feb 2007 4:39 PM by linnie Star rating in London/Benalmadena P.... 69 posts Send private message

linnie´s avatar

All the time I lived in Spain I never had a problem with the Spanish Health Service, I had my daughters with childhood aliments,broken arms, stitches etc.  and the care was excellent.  My local doctor was good and never had to wait long to see him, not like in the UK.  Everyone I know who had to have operations including serious heart ones have spoken highly of the care they received.  This is part of the reason why I will be returning to live in Spain (initially part- time at first) now my babies have fled the nest.  Must add though it really does help if you have some Spanish or at least get a fluent speaker to go with you. Most hospitals have a volunteer service of interpreters.

Best regards

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

PRINCESS KRISTINA properties - 22 posts
TONIGHT " SICK IN THE SUN" REPORTS ON EXPATS IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Commercial Rentals or Market Stall in Estepona - 3 posts
Golf in the Duquesa area - 3 posts
CAR HIRE IN SPAIN (REVIEWS WEBSITE) - 0 posts
IDENTITY CARDS - 9 posts
Disney in Spain? - 19 posts
Mortgage for short term - 3 posts
GPS THEFT - 0 posts
Great music .. well, I like it.......... - 2 posts
la tercia real - 6 posts
Illegal builds - 6 posts
Appartment to Rent - 0 posts
Do Agents "split" commission ? - 10 posts
Never on time! Here's why - 1 posts
Emma's Fund - 2 posts
TREVOR MCDONALD PROGRAMME MONDAY 29TH - 20 posts
ROYAL CABAPINO - 1 posts
4sale - 8 posts
Buying in a polaris resort - 10 posts
Car Hire - 7 posts
Where to live on the Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Property to rent in Estepona - 17 posts
Building permit - 24 posts
Los Granados del Mar - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x