Meeting - 09/06/07

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Apr 2008 2:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I know what you mean VickiT about  the supermarket staff.They can generally be a bit lucklustre although you do sometimes get a real chirpy one. If staff are working  on commisson they are usually really helpful and friendly.It usually helps if you take a couple of small children with you and they instantly warm to you then and are really friendly! Mine are nearly six now and are starting to lose their cuteness so I am getting a bit panicky as it was quite nice when shop staff used to make a fuss over them and give good service. It's no reason to go getting pregnant though!

The other evening we walked into a kitchen shop and the assistant was in the middle of a phone conversation. She didn't acknowledge us. I quite liked some of the stuff that they had on display in the showroom so I was prepared to wait until she had finished. She was on the phone for ages and Justin finally got fed up and said "Come on, let's go".I was prepared to wait but when I think about it, although she probably gets loads of time wasters through the door, we were serious so she let up to  15,000 euros walk out the door. If I were the shop owner I would be furious with a member of staff like that.

As for politeness sometimes I quite enjoy saying "Give me" without the please and not saying "thank you" in Spain.It makes me feel kind of rude and reckless without people batting an eyelid or noticing.Oh I'm such a rebel! It's the kind of behaviour that I could never get away with in England without some looks of disgust. At first I used to feel a bit "lost" without the pleases and thank you that are second nature to us. I kind of like getting into character and being a bit brusque without being horrible if you know what I mean. My dad is Italian and I used to get so embarrassed with his abrubt, direct manner. It's funny that I don't notice it so much nowadays.

Susan

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 4/3/2008.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 3:04 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Thats interesting.Customer service and manners are 2 things I feel have got worse in the UK in recent years and yet when we stayed at a small hotel in Guardamar earlier this year we found the staff very freindly and they went out of their way to help when we had a problem.We also found the shop assistants in the Mercado and the Pharmacia that we used very freindly and polite.

I guess opinions are all down to personal experiences.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 3:14 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

No Acapulco, it hasn't.  I meant Susan's post about positive aspects of the UK that you forget about when you've been away for a while...........

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 3:19 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

That being on the phone thing has happened to me too, although in a Travel Agents. The guy didn't even acknowledge our presence but just carried on talking to his friend about the good time they had the night before.  At the insistence of my (Spanish) OH, we too walked out!

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 3:31 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Another kitchen one for you, I walked into a place in Estepona yesterday, bearing in mind I am serious about a kitchen. Anyway,the lady at the front waspleasant enough and I explained that I wanted someone to come out and measure up asap. I left all our details and has anybody called yet? If it were my shop in the current climate I would be on the phone chasing the business but they obviously don't need it.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 3:44 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
That was me Acapulco, I quoted your post since I was responding to it in a roundabout way. Sorry to confuse you.

Susan

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 4:05 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Off thread I know (Sorry!) but, Susan, have you tried the English Kitchen Shop (I think that's what it's called) in the parade of shops just before Carrefour in Estepona - I found them very helpful (and polite!!) and they did phone follow-ups too.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 4:48 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

My OH came to live in UK back in the 60's when you had to prove that you had a job and could support yourself.  He is much more patriotic about Britain than me who was born here. But we have both become totally dissatisfied with the current state of things and can't wait until we're old enough to retire and move to Spain.

As previous posters have mentioned, those of us who are stupid enough to work get taxed at every turn yet if you are just too idle to move from in front of Trisha or some such drivel you get every benefit going.  Then when you get too old to care for yourself the government will take your hard earned savings including your home to pay for your care. There is no incentive to be hard working anymore. And don't start me on asylum seekers! If you've come all the way from some distant shore and travelled through several European countries why settle in UK. Oh yes BENEFITS. I have to add I have NO problems with genuine economic migrants who are doing the jobs that the lazy natives will not get out of bed for.

I work in a London borough that translates everything into any language you can think of. WHY?? I'll admit my Spanish isn't very good but I don't expect any favours I'm making the choice to live in a different country and it's my responsibility to learn the language.

OH and I totally agree with the Australian PM. OH is a muslim and celebrates both faiths festivals and has NO problem. UK is a Christian country. Most muslim countries are not as tolerant to other faiths.

So what am I proud of?  Our history, our food, our culture and innovations. Our countryside (where it still exists), old fashioned pubs, little country roads and villages (although lived in one once and it was hell), our attempts to play the sports that we taught everyone else, our ability to pick ourselves up and get on with it (Dunkirk spirit?).

Susan, I'm afraid the ignoring in shops thing is across the board.  I've lost count of the number of places I've walked out of in UK due to lack of service. Supermarkets are the worst. But I think some of that is a London thing. 

I'd better stop as I'm rapidly turning into grumpy old woman.......

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 6:37 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Susan -- confusing me is't to difficult,wife and grandkids do it all the time.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 7:20 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I agree Sonia the country lanes, the pretty villages, the pubs but the sad thing is if you go for a walk around such villages, unless the weather is really good, there is rarely a soul to be seen. I lived in a village in Kent for a while and it wasn't my thing to be honest, I felt more like a foreigner than I do in Spain!

Okay, here's something to be proud of, British comedy of course!

Susan

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 7:35 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Absolutely, Susan!  British comedy, sense of humour!!  Can't beat it - except for Frasier, of course!!!

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 10:11 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Comedy.Have to agree with that although personally I find some of the more recent stuff a bit  "in your face" for my taste.I think it's sad that some people think they have to shout 4 letter words to be funny.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 8:56 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Even though I was born in the seventies so I wacthed the repeats I have to admit that you can't beat it from that era. My faves include:

Open All Hours
Rising Damp
Some Mothers...
Fawlty Towers which I have watched in Spanish incidently and you might be interested to know that Manuel is represented as an Italian!

I am sure there's loads more

Susan

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 10:56 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Susan

Great shows!! Let's not forget Keeping Up Appearances, The Good Life, To The Manor Born, Absolutely Fabulous, Monty Python.  Also the shows which aren't supposed to be comedies but highlight the British humour like good old Corrie - not the new stuff with lots of violence but the Jack and Vera, Elsie Tanner stuff. (Showing my age!)

I agree that much of today's comedy aims to get the laughs by being crude and swearing. British humour didn't used to be like that - especially for those of us raised on Crackerjack and Mr Pastry.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 1:15 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

With you all the way Sonia - great stuff, have you seen Gavin and Stacey?  So subtle you could miss it - has me in stitches.

Jane

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 1:18 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Oh yeah don't forget Crackerjack "Oooh I could crush a grape!!!".

By the way Vicky T I popped into The English Kitchen Room and they are coming on Tuesday to measure up and give me a quote much to Justin's chagrin who thinks that we should just go with the first and only quote that we have been given. They seem really "with it" if you know what I mean so thanks Vicky T.

Susan

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 2:29 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Jane, Saw my first episode of Gavin and Stacey last week following daughter's recommendation.  Fantastic! 

Like 0      
05 Apr 2008 6:30 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Stick with it Sonia - some of the lines are real classics - just like Corrie used to be (or it could just be the Welsh humour!!)

Jane

Like 0      
11 Apr 2008 7:22 PM by evebrady Star rating in We live just outside.... 26 posts Send private message

evebrady´s avatar

...we chose to buy both of our apartments which we let out all year round in Guardamar because when we first bought over there we were impressed with the local folk and their friendliness!

Best wishes,

Eve

Like 0      
11 Apr 2008 11:58 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I have avoided replying to this thread because I have always believed that we have much to be proud of in the UK.  Our sense of fair play, our lovely countryside (I give you the Lake District, the Peaks of Derbyshire, a walk along any riverbank in the autumn), our free-at-point-of-service NHS and many more things.

However, I have come to realise that I am probably living in the past.  As a nation (by no means everybody) we have become hardened and consumer orientated.  Our lovely countryside is being built on (witness the newly announced "eco-towns") and the bits that aren't are marred by the amount of fly-tipping.  People are no longer courteous to others, either in person or on the roads.  Our NHS is close to breaking point due to the demands made on it by people who have never paid a penny into it.  The welfare system is now a way of life for many people rather than the helping hand it was designed to be.  We use to laugh at the corruption of foreign politicians and then, one day, we turned around and found that our politicians could out-corrupt the worst third world politico that there ever was.

A few things recently have led me to the conclusion that Britain (or should we call that the Yookay?) has lost its direction.  The extended family and neighbours of Sharon Matthews, for example.  Surely this news item has been the strongest case yet for compulsory sterilisation?  On the morning TV, a family on benefits won 100 thousand pounds on a lottery scratch card which they then proceeded to spend in a very short time.  They are now claiming their benefits back and think it "unfair" that they haven't been reinstated on the welfare system. 

There are a group of people who want to destroy, by killing and maiming our citizens, our old way of life.  They make videos of how they are going to destroy us all  and what we are but still continue claiming benefits, using our Health System until it's at breaking point and boast about how their religion is better than ours.  They were born and raised in Britain and we are walking headlong, but blindfolded, into a serious crisis which is exacerbated by the reluctance of the powers to be to acknowledge the threat they pose.  We finally catch one, whose avowed aim is to train young men into carrying out suicide bombings, maiming innocent women and children and totally disrupting the way we live our lives whilst still milking our system for all it's worth.  And what do we do when we catch him?  We allow him to carry on doing what he has been doing because it would be detrimental to his "Yooman rites" to send him back where he came from.

Almost 80% of nurses and doctors working in the emergency departments at our hospitals have been physically assaulted by patients, most of them high on drink or drugs.  At Alicante airport last summer, my wife (on crutches due to a recent knee operation) was sworn at by a football-shirted Brit because she couldn't move out of the way fast enough for him to get to the nearest bar. 

We wait years to open a new terminal at Heathrow and then make the most almighty cock-up of it from Day One.  The eyes of the whole world were on the new terminal 5 and just imagine how we have been denigrated because of this debacle.  Add this to our Mad Cow Disease, our football "supporters" and the crass behaviour of our holidaymakers throughout the world and you can understand why I pretend to be Canadian when on holiday.

What a marvellous nation we are turning into.  I close my eyes and remember the Britain that I still dream about.  Unfortunately, the downright nastiness of many people, who seem to always be in such a hurry to get to whatever they are doing, is far outweighing the pleasant memories I have of my country.

So what am I patriotic and proud about?  Most of our Armed Forces.  Some of the stories I read do make me ashamed but I believe the majority do a fantastic job in extremely difficult circumstances with very little support from our government. 

I am proud of my family who make their way in life without trying to screw the system for every penny they can but, I am afraid, they appear to be in the minority (or is it just that we only hear about the ones who do screw the system?).

I am proud of the influence our relatively tiny nation has on the world stage even though our politicians seem determined to erode this with every day that passes. 

I used to be proud of our Royal family and still think HM the Queen is a reason to stir patriotism in the heart of every Brit.  On the other hand, I can't see myself stirring with a smidgeon of patriotism when one of the other dysfunctional members of her household take over.

I used to be proud of our judicial system which led the world in "innocent until proven guilty", "habeus corpus" etc but now find our politicians want to lock people up for 42 days without charge.  If even the USA have a 48 hours limit, why do we need so long?  Inefficiency?  Corruption?  God knows because I certainly don't.  This government has spent over 150 million pounds a year on "advisors" for things like ID cards, how to run the railways etc.  Why?  Are they so inefficient that they can't do the jobs they are claiming hundreds of thousands of pounds a year in expenses to do?  (when Labour took over in 1997, the cost of advisors was around 7 million a year).

OK, rant over.  Next thing is why I am moving to Spain?  Well, the housing market is so buoyant that I would be stupid not to.  The place I bought 5 years ago has quadrupled in price and I've been told they're going to build a Disney theme park right next to me.  Me, worry?  No chance.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Driving from Bilbao to Mar Menor - 11 posts
Directions To the Roman Baths - 4 posts
Good Ladies Clothes Shop - 5 posts
Intercom system - 3 posts
This seems very expensive - 0 posts
Looks like a new way to create funds! - 6 posts
Spanish Banking Ombudsman - 37 posts
Completion?-but have to pay 4000 euros for insurance??? - 6 posts
can this business work in spain???? - 6 posts
dont just sit there - 2 posts
Hi - 3 posts
PET FREE COMMUNITY - 4 posts
Directions to Manilva required - 0 posts
golf clubs in Murcia - 10 posts
manilva beach - 2 posts
Traveling to Spain from Bulgaria with new dog - 0 posts
Did you pay CGT Capital Gain Tax (mod 212) between 2003 and 2006 ? - 0 posts
Looking for a fiscal representitive... - 11 posts
What do you all think of..... - 14 posts
NEW MORTGAGE ALERT - 11 posts
300 Euro Monthly Community Charge! - 2 posts
Guardamar Information website - 4 posts
Hello everyone! - 1 posts
Want 2 bedrooms in first-line from beach for 3 months from April 08 - budget 1500euros - 0 posts
TV CHANNELLS - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 55

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x