Secondary Water

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

I fully applaud the Spanish way of trying to conserve water by recyling the secondary water to irrigate green areas etc.

My one concern is it's use on grass surrounds to communal pool areas. The ground is contaminated with foul smelling water and the pool gets a fair drenching from the spray! I do not know if there are any public heath regulations covering the use in such areas, there should be.

Is this a common practise in urbanisations? How do people cope with the resultant health risks?

Like 0      
18 Mar 2008 6:46 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Can't be sure but I thought that you could not use recycled water on such areas at all or perhaps not unless it has been 'properly' (whatever that means) treated. I do know that it is not unusual for golfers to be warned not to lick their balls (as it were!)

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
18 Mar 2008 11:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

W H A T ?!

Jane B. golfers licking their balls, whatever next?!

Sorry could not resist that one, that really made me smile!!!!

What DID NOT make me smile tonight is that when we arrived in our apartment, some D*ck head had gone on our solarium and turned our water tap on full blast!

We always turn our mains off when we leave.......................and the OH turned it back on tonight as per usual.

I only realised something was wrong, when I looked over our balcony and saw water gushing out onto the ground below.

Sent the OH up to the solarium to check and also heard in our bathroom that water was "flowing" somewhere!

Yep, the tap on the solarium was fully open!

Luckily, we always turn our water off when we leave for the UK.

If we hadn't, we would be facing a huge water bill right now.

I can only assume that one of our neighbours thought they might "borrow" some water for thier plants, or else it was kids messing around???

But I doubt that.........................

Our roof area is locked with only penthouse owners having the key, so kids? I dont think so............................

Had I not heard water flowing tonight and checked it out, we would have had a tap going full blast till>>>>> gawd knows when, till I heard it on the roof???!!

Thank you to whoever did that, water is precious..............so is my bill!!!!

So, a warningto owners, turn your water OFF when you go home, someone might "borrow" it or flood you out!

Kind (watery) regards!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 10:54 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Oh Fibby you've not had a very good start have you.  Hope everything improves from here on - sounds like you've had the 3 things (never two but three - not that I'm superstitious)

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 4:15 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

I had hoped someone would reply with useful information about the legal/public health aspects of this problem.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 4:51 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
I don't know what the law says, D, but I am sure it can't be allowed.   There are special treatment systems for the recycled water that is widely used in agriculture, and technically you should have a special septic tank if you want to use your own yourself on your fruit and veg.  I can't imagine it being legal. Have you asked your administrators?

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 4:55 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

"Grey water" as it is commonly known usually consists of rainfall run off from the guttering, waste water from the bath, sink, etc. This water is usually filtered to remove large particles and directed to a settlement chamber. This water can then be used for a variety of uses (as previously mentioned) that don't require potable water. Washing the car, flushing the toilet, watering the garden, to name but a few.

Not sure on the regulations, but if your community keeps up with the water quality testing, chlorinating and filter cleaning, there really shouldn't be any adverse effects to the pool. So long as the chlorine levels are kept at the right levels, bacteria is kept in check and cannot survive.

Mark

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 4:55 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

The matter has been raised with our urbanisation committee and I'm sure in the fullness of time our administrator will respond.

I posted in the hope that this "wheel" had been invented before and the solution may be common knowledge!

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 5:00 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
Ah!  From your original post I thought we were talking about something rather more sinister than 'grey water' but perhaps I misunderstood!

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 5:09 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

On our urbanisation there does not appear to be any attempt to separate "grey water" from sewerage and judging by the smell when watering is taking place the dilution factor is not that great!

I take point about the pool maintenance but get it wrong and the risks are too great to contemplate!

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 6:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I would have thought that human waste (liquid or solid) must be either stored securely in a cess pit and emptied on a regular basis, or sent into the main sewers. This must surely come under some sort of European legislation somewhere? Human waste is obviously a health hazard and I have to be honest, are your urbanisation really silly enough to spread waste around? Cholera and all sorts of nasties could exist and a great deal of legal comeback would be on the shoulders of whoever authorised it. It will be interesting to hear what the administrators say about it. Could it perhaps not just be that the water is stagnant through non use over the winter period?

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Natasha - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL - 1 posts
Buying Tax Free - 1 posts
HELP..... Spanish Translator Needed - 7 posts
Site Visit to Manilva Beach 26th May 2007 - 1 posts
Newcomer ! - 5 posts
Easter Opening Hours in Spain - 12 posts
LoFO - Application For vs Granted - 4 posts
Complaints - 2 posts
Breach of contract? - 45 posts
How can they do this....... - 31 posts
Hiya all, newbie here after any advice on livng and working in Spain please. - 3 posts
Hiya all, newbie here hungry for any advice regarding 'living and working in Spain'! - 1 posts
St Patricks Day - 13 posts
trampoline - 4 posts
CST? - 4 posts
Almeria Football Club tickets - 6 posts
Travelling with Cats - 13 posts
Guardamar festival - 1 posts
BBQ to England - 2 posts
Conversations with PP - 1 posts
Georgia, you gonna be on the telly? - 2 posts
GOATS BUTTER - 7 posts
Our move to Almoradi - 1 posts
Goats butter - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x