Hiya all, newbie here after any advice on livng and working in Spain please.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by amandajgee Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello everyone,

I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing!  I'm after any advice about living and working in spain.  We currently have 3 properties here in England that we want to sell and invest in a home in Spain, we have two children a 9 year old and a baby.  The tax laws in this country don't do anything to helps us as a working family and to top it all off we get up daily and it's flippin' cold!!!!!   DF is a qualified Driving Instructor and i'm a Finance Administration Manager.  I'm worried about our pension returns as MiL has just had hers valued, she's paid into it for 25 years and it's only worth £10k a year

I've lived abroad before (Malta) but came home to get married (how stoopid, now divorced!)  As the years have passed i've realised that my future is not in the UK, i love spain but to be honest i have no idea where to start! i need advice on jobs, schools, residency permits, tax laws, affordable areas (not to touristy)........ Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, sorry if i've gone on a little!

Amanda

Like 0      
17 Mar 2008 12:44 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We live in Manilva which is on the coast but is still very Spanish and not packed to maximum capacity with Brits. With regards to work, lots of Brits in this area commute to English speaking Gibraltar for work where salaries are comparable in the UK. Job wise in Spain itself is very dodgy although there may be scope for driving instructors for expats learners who can't learn to drive in Spanish but this is something that you would have to look into. Salaries in Spain are far lower than the UK but this is supposed to be compensated by a lower cost of living but it isn't. My advice would be to come out with enough money to live on without working for at least a year, rent for six months to a year, plan your budget but be prepared for the very many unforseen expenditures. We have seen so many people return to the UK. We watch them come and go on our urbanisation. From our own experience it is impossible to set yourself up here until you are actual living here and the more money you have to fall back on the better.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2008 12:45 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Oh I also forgot. Have a read thtough the articles as there is absolutely loads of information on everything:

articles

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Mar 2008 2:28 PM by amandajgee Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks, i think the best place for us to start is by setting up a bank account to get some money put away.  Then maybe look into which area is going to suit our choice of lifestyle best.  Thanks Susan.

Amanda

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hiya all, newbie here hungry for any advice regarding 'living and working in Spain'! - 1 posts
St Patricks Day - 13 posts
trampoline - 4 posts
CST? - 4 posts
Almeria Football Club tickets - 6 posts
Travelling with Cats - 13 posts
Guardamar festival - 1 posts
BBQ to England - 2 posts
Conversations with PP - 1 posts
Georgia, you gonna be on the telly? - 2 posts
GOATS BUTTER - 7 posts
Our move to Almoradi - 1 posts
Goats butter - 5 posts
air conditioning - 1 posts
estepona Del Coral Portal - 7 posts
long term rental with dogs - 1 posts
Dog Friendly long term rental - 1 posts
Daya Nueva - 1 posts
Detailed Maps - 2 posts
Stand up and be counted - if you are on R10! - 0 posts
Rental Market - 9 posts
Furniture packs - 6 posts
upvc glazing. - 2 posts
Community and Other Charges for phase 2. - 3 posts
Learning to play Golf in Torrevieja/Villamartin area of Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x