Travelling with Cats

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by Redjoemw Star rating in Huercal Overa .... 49 posts Send private message

Redjoemw´s avatar

Hi .... need advice xx

What is the best way to travel with cats ?

Are there special carriers for the car or should you let them be loose ?

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 7:04 PM by jencoo Star rating in east Yorkshire/ Daya.... 131 posts Send private message

Hi

I would definately not let them loose in the car whilst travelling. They could spook and cause you the driver to lose concentration etc. You need to get a cage for them to travel in,with enough room to allow them to stretch now and then.

I made ours a cage to travel in with room for litter tray and twin level seating so ours can decide whether to view from the top or hide away underneath. Its quite big but our cat travels well in it all the way down from the Uk to Costa Blanca.

Cages are available from most pet places in a variety of sizes, and the vet will advise you when you are getting passports sorted.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 1:43 PM by SpanishLinda Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 44 posts Send private message

SpanishLinda´s avatar
I flew my cats over from Malaga to Gatwick as it seemed the quickest way to minimise their pain!  Monarch and BA operate "pet flights" where they are taken from you at the airport to a veterinary centre and you don't see them again until you arrive in Spain.

It's worth going on to the BA website to see what the statutory sizes are for cat carriers.  As long as anything you buy is  IATA approved the cats can travel in them.  I purchased some manufactured by a company called Ferplast (which you can either purchase or order from a good UK pet shop) and they are very sturdy with locking catches and very strong gates.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 1:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Decided against my entry.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/28/2008.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 3:38 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Roofrack????!!!!!!!!!!!

two of my neighbours brought cats with them from the UK and paid a fortune to do so,one ran off to live with the ferral cats in the pine woods and the other was last seen heading north........

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 4:31 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Don't be horrid Georgia!  Roofrack indeed...

Of course you would have to keep the cats indoors until they were totally at home with their surroundings and, to be honest, with the number of feral cats in Spain I'd be tempted (in fact I did) to keep my cats within the confines of the terrace or balcony.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 4:39 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

i wasn't being horrid,i would tie them down first..............

give me some credit........

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 5:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"with the number of feral cats in Spain I'd be tempted (in fact I did) to keep my cats within the confines of the terrace or balcony."

Seriously, this is very sound advice, since FIV is rife here and infections are easily picked up by pets mixing with strays. I recently spoke to a vet from Uruaguay who moved to Spain with his two cats, and let them out as they were accustomed to roaming freely. Apparently FIV does not exist in S.America. Within months, both his cats were infected and died. And he's a VET.

I've heard catnip is good for helping cats deal with new surroundings and settling in.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Jun 2008 4:53 PM by Luci&Col Star rating in Staffordshire. 29 posts Send private message

Luci&Col´s avatar
Where and how do you get pet passports from? 

I have two cats and am planning on taking them to spain with me when i go.

Like 0      
21 Jun 2008 5:36 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Ask your vet.
Also check out the DEFRA website for info on pet travel:  http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Jun 2008 5:40 PM by Luci&Col Star rating in Staffordshire. 29 posts Send private message

Luci&Col´s avatar
Thank you very much i will get on to that

Cheers. 

L&C

Like 0      
22 Jun 2008 11:31 AM by Redjoemw Star rating in Huercal Overa .... 49 posts Send private message

Redjoemw´s avatar
We got both our pet passports from our vet, the whole process took about 2 months.  The rabies vacine are valid for 3 years whilst in UK but vet said to jab cats each year when we move to Spain x

Like 0      
22 Jun 2008 4:41 PM by Val Star rating in Pinar de Campoverde .... 160 posts Send private message

Val´s avatar
They also need to be microchipped.  This is the only other requirement for entry into Spain other than the rabies vaccination.  The vet will then issue the pet passport. 

Make the most of today.  It has taken all your life to get her...

Like 0      
22 Jun 2008 6:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
If you ever plan to return to the UK with the cat(s), the rabies jab must be still valid, and as Redjoemw said, you must get a booster every year. (And not a day over a year, or you will have to go through the whole process of blood tests etc. again)

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Guardamar festival - 1 posts
BBQ to England - 2 posts
Conversations with PP - 1 posts
Georgia, you gonna be on the telly? - 2 posts
GOATS BUTTER - 7 posts
Our move to Almoradi - 1 posts
Goats butter - 5 posts
air conditioning - 1 posts
estepona Del Coral Portal - 7 posts
long term rental with dogs - 1 posts
Dog Friendly long term rental - 1 posts
Daya Nueva - 1 posts
Detailed Maps - 2 posts
Stand up and be counted - if you are on R10! - 0 posts
Rental Market - 9 posts
Furniture packs - 6 posts
upvc glazing. - 2 posts
Community and Other Charges for phase 2. - 3 posts
Learning to play Golf in Torrevieja/Villamartin area of Spain - 2 posts
Where to take your rubbish !! - 9 posts
GENERAL MORTGAGE ALERT - 2 posts
Almanzora Country Club - 5 posts
Still waiting for keys for new build... way past moving in date - 7 posts
Pictures in My Rentals aren't showing correctly! - 1 posts
looking for villa in Sands Beach Resort lanzarote - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x