Spanish Plumbing

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by wallerd Star rating in Essex/La Herrada - L.... 1 posts Send private message

My wife and I have just moved into our new Villa at La Herrada (Los Montesinos) and are slowly getting used to all things Spanish. I guess it is the engineer in me but I have to know how things work and what they do.

I have asked a couple of people but cannot get the answer so maybe someone out there can answer this.

In both the bathrooms high on the wall above the shower, and also on the wall under the sink in the kichen where the the water pipes come in, are two chrome knurled nuts/knobs - on their own with nothing connected to them - just sat on the wall.

I had assumed that they are something to do with the hot and cold supply pipes - shut off valves perhaps? I turn them and the knobs go in and out but nothing seems to happen to the water flow - I am frightened to wind them all the way out in case they come out and I get flooded - does anyone know what they are for?

p.s. in the downstairs bathroom there is one knurled nut on its own opposite to the wall with all of the taps/toilt/sink is on!!!

Help

Like 0      
26 Feb 2008 10:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Dave, ask in here >> La Herrada  It's your development forum. We have the same knobs but hubby has never played with them. (Shall I rephrase that ? )

Like 0      
26 Feb 2008 10:41 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I think I have heard from others on our developement,  that  one of the knobs does turn the water supply off. But have not tried it as I try not to fiddle with knobs I know noting about I would also have to stand on a ladder or chair to reach, I am not to keen on heights either. Pat

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 1:03 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi, I asked my hubby (who is a plumber) why the shower taps were so high on the bathroom wall when we went to view the showhouse last week, as they seemed to be in a ridiculous place, and he told me they were isolation taps, presumably one for hot and one for cold. If you want any further info I can ask him.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 1:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
That's what my OH said but Dave said " I turn them and the knobs go in and out but nothing seems to happen to the water flow " which is odd if they're isolation taps.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 1:27 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
I'll ask hubby when he gets home, see if he can give me any more info. To be honest as long as lights come on when I flick the switch, water comes out of the taps when it should and gas lights when it should, I don't ask questions, I leave it all to him. But he does like to know what all knobs and switches control.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 1:59 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Taps? I thought they were for hanging towels on!!

Seriously, they are isolation valves. We have two lots in each of our bathrooms; one lot above the loos and the other above the bath/shower. So if yours are just turning, I'd add it to your snagging list!

By the way, just in case you have them: we had a blue thing (something like a pipe with a flattened end) on the terrace. It is for an outside tap and although we haven't done ours yet, apparently (with the water isolated using the apppropriate isolation tap!) it unscrews to accommodate a tap. Possibly a useless bit of information, but one never knows!!!

Irene

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 2:18 PM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

I'm not sure if people are getting confused because I am.  We have isolation taps which are literally taps sticking straight out of the wall in the bathroom, which stop the flow of water when they are switched off.

BUT

We also have in one of the bedrooms above and to the side of the door a small, round, brass nut looking thing with a screw head (its about the size of a 1 Euro coin and sticks about 1 inch out) which I can't for the life of me work out what it is for.

Which type is it you mean Wallerd?

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 7:47 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Is the euro sized brass nut thing in the bedroom opposite the the other on an outside wall? If so my hubby suggested it may be for an outside tap with the one in the nedroom being the isolater while the tap is sorted? Difficult to say without seeing it, but it is a suggestion.

The isolation valves in the bathroom should be closed completely to isolate the water, so says my OH, but don't over tighten, and that should close the water flow.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any results of your knob twiddling, twiddle at your own risk.

Jacqui

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 7:57 PM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Yep that could well be it J&N but this is not my house so I wont be fiddling with someone else's knobs!  It was just one of those 'I wonder' moments.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Search Facility - 5 posts
advice please - 3 posts
Long term Rental - Alpujarras - 0 posts
Fishing Tackle Shop - 2 posts
Reported to Social Security - 5 posts
first occupational licence / who is in - 1 posts
als pal - 0 posts
va va voom - 1 posts
CAR BOOT SALES - 2 posts
Account Opening Fees - 3 posts
Certificate of Habitation (or lack of) Block 7, square 3. - 1 posts
Consumer rights regarding faulty merchandise - 1 posts
Juande Ramos : A Spanish Legend and a Developer who Delivers.... - 12 posts
The Blue Palm, Marbella - 19 posts
SIX NATIONS - 18 posts
driving lesson - 6 posts
Pet Friendly Hotels - 3 posts
Furntire shops in Mojacar/Vera Playa area - 4 posts
DISNEY IN SPAIN - 12 posts
Residencia - 38 posts
New to the site and On the Move - 3 posts
Our little corner in the sun - 4 posts
insurance for contents/property - 3 posts
Personalised Holiday home website for sale - 0 posts
Our Spanish neighbours - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x