Ok... I have a list of areas!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2008 10:56 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Sfolly.

In all honesty it sounds like you will need the things that only the older Spanish TOWNS or VILLAGES will offer.

Newcomers often rule these out as it is predominantly "apartment living".

Almoradi,Rojales,Daya Vieja and Nueva,Benijofar,Guardamar,Algorfa will probably suit your lifestyle more than some of the others you mentioned.

The reasons being is that the infrastructure(buses,schools,medical,shops bars,chemists etc...etc..already exist and have been operating and serving the local communities for years,they are not manufactured urbanisations that are living on the promise of all the above mentioned to come in the future.

You will also find prices are more favourable in these areas as the predominant market will still be the local market,you will also find that you live amongst the Spanish and the international community.

With having Small children it is important to have many facilities often within easy reach,in my opinion this would be your best choice.

As well as giving the neccesities these locations will aslo give the perks of activities for hobbies and sports,not only for the children but for yourself.

Happy hunting

Georgia 

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 5:02 PM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

Hi Sarah & family,

Right, I´m going to choose, for me, the best option out of the ones you provided and then go out on a whim and suggest one not on your list! From your list, in my opinion the best option is Villa Martin.  This area has buses going directly to the beach and into Torrevieja (I think someone may have already mentioned this) and is also excellent for bars, shops, schools and supermarkets.  Basically you have almost everything you would need on your doorstep.

My other suggestion is on the Costa Calida, one of the other areas you mentioned.  However, I wouldn´t suggest San Cayetano as the public transport system is not good enough for you to be able to get around.  However, the Costa Calida is a beautiful area and another area, Los Alcazares, is another option for you to look into.  This town has virtually everything you are looking for.  As regards transport, there are buses into the nearest cities, Murcia and Cartagena. Also the San Javier airport is 5mins drive away with low cost airlines serving the airport.  Therefore, there would be no costly taxi fares to the airport.  Speaking of taxis, there is a good taxi service in Los Alcazares and even an English cabbie! I have the number if you ever need it at some point in the future.

As regards the town itself, which is on the beach, there are shops, bars, traditional Spanish markets, several, good Spanish schools and the properties are good value for money (generally cheaper than the Costa Blanca). The beach is on the Mar Menor, the largest lagoon in Europe, which means it is on shallower waters and the temperature is higher all year round. It is a 15mins bus trip away to the nearest town on the Mediterrenean where there are deeper waters and more water activities. There is actually a ferry from Santiago de la Ribera, a nearby town, to take you to La Manga, the biggest tourist destination in the area that only costs roughly 3€.

Hope this helps in some way and hope you get what you are looking for,
LifeOverseas

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 5:08 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I can't agree with your assessment of Villa Martin. One thing you did not mention was the influx of holiday makers transforming the already not too pleasent plaza into a free for all. I know there is more area to Villa Martin than the plaza but they are a bit isolated and full of golf courses, ok if that's your thing but not too good with a young family and no car.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 5:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Pretty birds in the trees in the Plaza though, Karen.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 5:38 PM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

I suppose that´s an argument for going to see a place first before purchasing as you were mentioning before, each to their own as they say!

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 5:45 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Never actually seen the pretty birds in the trees but I'll take your word for it!!

Obviously the best thing to do is to see for yourself, LifeOverseas, but just giving my opinion as asked in this thread.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 5:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

It's a treat to watch them, Karen, flying about between the trees in the Plaza. There are tropical parrots mainly & so colourful.

Here's the Plaza.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 7:04 PM by Vlad Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Agree, Los Alcasares is a nice place. But in the winter not many people here and several shops is closed. About Torrevieha: I don't like this place, becouse here not comfortable. More better Guardamar del Segura, but property here expensive. Several my clients bought property in this provinces (Alicante and Murcia), and for your choose you need to take into account different reasons. I recomend to live in intresting area several weeks at the winter (not summer) and choose property only after that. 

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 7:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Good point Vlad about living in a certain area in the winter. We loved the Mar Menor area but in winter it is dead.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 7:21 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

One town has it all and fabulous beaches too.  Pilar de la Horadada.  'nuff said.

Jane

Like 0      
07 Mar 2008 12:36 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

The Mar Menor area seems to close up in winter. Is it basically a holiday area? At one time we considered buying there but winter visits put us off.

I still think the predominantly Spanish towns are a better bet for someone with no transport.

The short list looks okay generally to me apart from the sprawling estates like Villamartin etc..

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 9:39 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

It would seem that all areas have a fair share of bars and cafe's etc.but some may be a bit short on social life due to the "seasonal" effect.We will be looking for somewhere with all year round activities. We are pretty good " mixers" and my wife enjoys line dancing and we both enjoy  western partner dancing so an area with that sort of thing not far away would be good.We haave a few areas that interest us at the moment but are open to suggestions.We are both retired so should have plenty of time for social activities.

It is cold wet and windy here at the moment so all we can do is keep dreaming about a move to CBS later this year.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 11:21 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

I'm still biaised but do take a look at Pilar de la Horadada.  It's not on the mar memor but thas very easy access to mar menor if wanted.  It's a very busy Spanish town with everything you could need for day to living ALL year round. Wish I was there all year!

Jane

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 2:37 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Hi Sarah,

We are in Rojales, or at least we will be in June. We've had our place for about 2 years but are yet to make the move. We have a six week old girl and would love her to have another baby to bond with, no pressure there then! lol

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 3:14 PM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Haha, none at all!

We like the look of Rojales from what we have seen so far! Who did you buy through?

Sarah

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 3:47 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Hi Sarah, we bought trough Euro Anglo Sur on a viewing trip in June 2003, its been a long time and we are finally ready to move over in June, but because we have sort of decided to have just the one littl'n, we are a little worried as we are the youngest family on our urbanisation, all the other are in the 50's and 60's!!

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 10:02 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
So !!  whats wrong witrh being ovr 50 ?

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 10:06 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Yeah! So what's wrong with being over 50?

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 10:11 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Yeah, what's wrong with being 50 ( or over!!) ??

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
16 Mar 2008 10:20 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
uh oh! didn't mean to offend anyone! Just meant that the chances of there being a baby are slim as we are the only ones on our ubanisation who have not moved over in retirement. I, actually love older people, my parents are older, and their parents were older too!!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dining Room Furniture - 0 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Jarvo - 2 posts
Insurance for a UK registered car being driven in Spain - 0 posts
re sale in los altos - 0 posts
SAY WHAT U C !!................bit of a quiz. - 27 posts
Mundi Abogados Solicitors - 0 posts
site office contact details please urgent - 2 posts
Sol Vivienda - 3 posts
Planning permission - 14 posts
lawyer needed in El Albujon, Murcia - 1 posts
no Bank Guarantee=refund - 26 posts
Architect Wanted - 3 posts
Landlords Rights - 3 posts
Long term rent required-7 months - 1 posts
Happy Valentines!! - 15 posts
TAKING YOUR CAR TO SPAIN - 3 posts
NEXT delivers to Spain for 15€ ! - 13 posts
What happens when it all goes wrong? - 11 posts
Hi I am new in here - 12 posts
RyanAir to close website for 3 days next week - 3 posts
Underground Bins & current bins - 5 posts
House up for sale - now the fun begins! - 28 posts
Is it illegal to sell off plan property with no guarantees? - 6 posts
El Trampolin don't want to pay - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 50

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x