What happens when it all goes wrong?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by Bendy Star rating in Ilkley, North Yorks .... 1 posts Send private message

Hi all

Hopefully someone has some useful advice for us, we cant be the first in this situation.

We purchased a Key Mare apartment in Almeria through MRI in July 2005.   MRI ran through the projections for mortgages, increases in value and rental.  This all looked great, we could buy a property in Spain use it our selves and rent it out easily to cover the mortgage.  It was due to complete in March 2007. In late November 2007 we were contacted about completion within the next couple of weeks. 

Now we are in a situation where the mortgage offers don't cover the purchase costs.  The purchase and ongoing costs involved now look like they will be higher than the return.  I am really worried that we are going to get into serious debt with a Spanish mortgage.  The new mortgage projections will make us struggle in the UK if it is not rented at least 2 weeks every month and this cant be guaranteed.  We tried a few mortgage providers (though CFP) and our original mortgage that was accepted in principle was withdrawn at the last minute leaving us with no mortgage offer (last week).  We got a second offer a couple of days later but the payments are higher making it even worse.  After much consideration we have come to the conclusion that the best option would be to walk away.  We stand to loose £35k but wont be getting into masses of debt like we potentially would do if the property completes.

Our lawyer has been really good and helpful but he thinks that it will be difficult to get money back from Key Mare.  Has anyone else got any advice that has been in a similair situation?  Have you managed to get money back from a developer, especially in relation to Key Mare? 

The property has been valued at 217k Euros thats 43k more than the purchase cost so Key Mare will make more money selling it again.  I am hoping we can get some back if not all.  We did try selling it privately but got no interest at 189k.

We were given bad information and advice by MRI from start to finish.  I am not impressed with them one little bit.

Bendy

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 9:49 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
No experience myself Bendy but I wish you well.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 10:33 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Bendy

I have sent you a PM.

I have been through the lies & incompetence myself & have made a couple of suggestions that you may not have considered.

I have given you my email address so if you want to contact me once you have read the PM then you can.

Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 11:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Bendy

You've been through it haven't you ? Your post is well written & criticising of MRI (quite right too) without being nasty. All credit to you. I'm wondering if Smiley can offer fresh hope. Smiley is a mortgage broker on the CDS, Bendy, if you didn't already know. I'll get him to look at your post. He has helped many who were in trouble with others. Try to be calm, I realise you have big concerns & I would too if it was me. Chin up.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDITED just to add I have sent Smiley a PM asking if he'd pop in & look at your post with a view to helping, if he can, Bendy. Stay in touch.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/13/2008.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 11:27 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Bendy, I really hope some of these people can help you, I really feel for you, I know I would be fuming.  Try and keep calm as More says and listen to what is being said.     Please take care Pat

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 12:34 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Is the development late in completion?  If so then you could use your bank guarantee (and a good lawyer like Maria) to get your money back.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 11:58 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Good luck with this one Bendy.

It must be so worrying and frustrating for you.

No advice, sorry, no knowledge of Spanish mortgages etc.,

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 12:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Smiley has offered to discuss it with Bendy with hope of a result.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 12:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
He really is one super croc that Smiley chap

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 4:40 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi Bendy,

I can recommend Maria for the legal side of things.  Every time I have either PM'd or emailed she has come straight back with good advice.

Our apartment is not due to complete until June this year.

Kelju

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 4:41 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar
Forgot to say, I have sent you a PM

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 7:07 PM by tiamaria Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Hi bendy

I have sent you a pm

Tiamaria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi I am new in here - 12 posts
RyanAir to close website for 3 days next week - 3 posts
Underground Bins & current bins - 5 posts
House up for sale - now the fun begins! - 28 posts
Is it illegal to sell off plan property with no guarantees? - 6 posts
El Trampolin don't want to pay - 7 posts
Solicitors - 0 posts
Is there VALUE in the Costa de Sol Market? - 19 posts
Disney - 8 posts
Spanish banks savings accounts - 14 posts
rentals needed - 9 posts
Majestic Gardens, Casares - 2 posts
Licence for short term rentals - 5 posts
Santa Ana, Jumilla (Azucena) - 7 posts
Dancing schools - 16 posts
Translation of spanish documents - 6 posts
Tax benefits for rentals - 5 posts
help needed El Galan - 0 posts
Long term rental needed Estepona to Manilva - 2 posts
why would they do this ? - 22 posts
Communities working together??? - 1 posts
Help wanted with Wifi - 4 posts
Netball - 10 posts
RECLAIMING IVA (VAT) BY SETTING UP SPANISH COMPANY? - 2 posts
Info needed for new magazine - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x