Is it illegal to sell off plan property with no guarantees?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by shaggi Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

Can anyone help?

Is it illegal to sell off plan property without a bank or insurance guarantee from a company recognised by the bank of Spain?

Some people say it is but the developer say´s it´s not and is using a company no one can find anything about as the guarantee.

Regards Shaggi

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 12:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Shaggi, it IS illegal ! Maria, our lawyer on EOS, has said this time & time again. Spanish law dictates that builders give you a Bank Guarantee if you buy off plan & pay stage payments. The BG protects your payments.

I also was reading a very good thread HERE about Bank Guarantees not supposed to have expiry dates.

By the way, Shaggi, this FORUM HELP is for members to ask EOS about our PMs not working & such, not for your question. Will you do me a favour & repost in Bank guarantees & I'll pop in there & post my answer too. Keeping it in correct board helps others to locate things they may also find useful, ok ? Thanks.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/13/2008.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 2:01 PM by shaggi Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

Thanks for reply. The developer is now saying that he would put the money into a ringfenced bank account until the structure is built when he would then be able to access it to finish the property. He says this is normal practice and that no one guarantees payments until keys are handed over at the notary. Does anyone know any different? It seems my money would not be guaranteed after this point so if they went bust i don´t know how i would get my money back?

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 2:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Shaggi, it's ILLEGAL !! Where's your lawyer ??? He should be safeguarding you against the builder.

If you want more advice & confirmation of this, contact Maria de Castro, EOS lawyer.

Email her on mldecastro@costaluzlawyers.es     or    marialuisa@costaluzlawyers.es

Maria L. De Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/13/2008.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 3:03 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
The developer is certainly acting illegaly here.  By law all off plans need to have a bank guarantee.  If he won't give you one then just walk away, don't risk it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 3:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Shaggi, you asked Does anyone know any different? As we have said ...  it's illegal.

Have you committed to a property yet ?

If you haven't, walk away. (As Justin said)  

If you have you really need to take this up with your lawyer.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 4:58 PM by eros Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hello!!

I am planning to move to South Alicante or Murcia, I have seen some properties, but i really need a lawyer in this area, can anybody recomend any?

Thanks a lot

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

El Trampolin don't want to pay - 7 posts
Solicitors - 0 posts
Is there VALUE in the Costa de Sol Market? - 19 posts
Disney - 8 posts
Spanish banks savings accounts - 14 posts
rentals needed - 9 posts
Majestic Gardens, Casares - 2 posts
Licence for short term rentals - 5 posts
Santa Ana, Jumilla (Azucena) - 7 posts
Dancing schools - 16 posts
Translation of spanish documents - 6 posts
Tax benefits for rentals - 5 posts
help needed El Galan - 0 posts
Long term rental needed Estepona to Manilva - 2 posts
why would they do this ? - 22 posts
Communities working together??? - 1 posts
Help wanted with Wifi - 4 posts
Netball - 10 posts
RECLAIMING IVA (VAT) BY SETTING UP SPANISH COMPANY? - 2 posts
Info needed for new magazine - 1 posts
Quantum Villas - Anyone heard of them ? - 47 posts
Irwin Mitchell Land Grab action - 0 posts
Quick question before flying - 11 posts
New CGT Rules - 5 posts
Where'd the OASIS go?? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x