Receipts & Invoices for the UK taxman

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I am sure many people on this forum rent out their property and also inform the UK tax man of their affairs . I have looked into what we can and can't claim for with regards to our Spanish property given that we don't have a tax allowance in Spain being non residents.

The taxman in the UK told us that we can claim for things against the tax bill in the UK under the double taxation law, but only for dates when the apartment is available for rent/ is rented and not for the times when it is for private use (fair enough). We have spoken to our keyholder about getting a receipt for monies paid, but the community management company have told us that they do not issue receipts for community fee payments. I have tried to explain that without any form of bill to produce to the UK inland revenue they  will not allow this payment as a justifiable expense. The response from the management company is that they do not have to issue a receipt because community fees are not subject to tax!! Anyone with any ideas on where I stand with that?

I have also been told that you can set aside one flight per year as a justifiable expense to check on the property. Anyone with any experience of that?

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
13 Jan 2008 6:34 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Who do you bank with?  Maybe you could use the your bank receipts as proof of the bill paid and who too.

I bank with Halifax and recently they sent me small slips showing the details of the recent direct debits taken from my account, maybe yours does the same?

Like 0      
13 Jan 2008 9:14 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks for your reply.

If I make a bank transfer, it will show on a statement who the payment was made to, when and for how much. It won't however be the same as an official request for payment such as an invoice, or a receipt from the receiving business, or will it?

I just want to get it right before we get screwed by the taxman.

Mark

Like 0      
14 Jan 2008 7:17 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

My community fees are paid by Direct Debit and when I banked with Solbank all my direct debits showed up on the statements with the originator's details.

When I check on line with Halifax just the amounts are shown but when you hover over the transaction the details are shown.  I was hoping that by printing off the statment then all the details would appear but they don't.

I did querry it with them recently when I went into the Bank but it seems that this is how the system works.

As I said earlier I do receive individual statments listing out the direct debits in full through the post so if you banked with them and decided to pay by d/d then these could be classed as individual receipts.

I pay my community fees this month so if it would help I could pm you and let you know when I receive the receipt.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2008 3:45 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

You should get a reciept anyway as if you sell the property you need to prove they are to date - and before they tell youthat they issue a certificate for notary, under decree 218 when you PLACE your property onto the market your agents have to ask you for this or they can be fined a minimum 5000 euros!

So they have to give you the receipts!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What "official" things to do on next visit to Spain - 6 posts
What's the rental market like in the Marbella/Puerto Banus/Calahonda areas? - 10 posts
Problems with electricity - 26 posts
money leaving my account without my permission - 7 posts
Anyone recommend independent solicitor? - 12 posts
HELP!! SINGLE MUM PLANNING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 11 posts
Wanted long term let in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Compulsary Solar Panels on New Builds and Renovations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 8 posts
Licence Notice - 0 posts
Inheritance tax, does anyone know this company? - 7 posts
Birthday? - 4 posts
Not Justin's birthday AGAIN, is it ? - 8 posts
MASA ...unrepentant after illegally selling house twice - 4 posts
Small steps...but things move forward - 9 posts
Easyjet Sale - 4 posts
I need properties in Elviria for holiday rentals - 0 posts
aldea beach 1 & 11 - 0 posts
Patio/Garden Furniture Required - 0 posts
Please welcome Cliffyrmd - 41 posts
10 year guarantee - 1 posts
Novo Arcos Town Houses - 3 posts
Wanted - 0 posts
Looking fro long term rental - 1 posts
Home demolished in Vera - 357 posts
Wanted 1,2 & 3 bed properties for long term rent in the Duquesa Area - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x