Passport length

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

With Spain being in the EU, is there any requirement to have a minimum of 6 months left before your passport expires? My Wife wants to come out in July but will only have 5 weeks to go.

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 8:24 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Dyou know I just HAD to look in to see what sort of length you meant

No idea Im afraid - passport office should be able to let you know, but seeing as there wont be long anyway, why doesnt she renew it before coming out?

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 8:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mark, the last time we renewed (because of needing 6 months on our passports as we were off to Turkey) the passport office added the remaining 6 months onto the 10 yrs, does that answer your question ? We didn't lose out.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 9:07 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Personally, I would renew it before travelling.

God forbid but if anything were to happen, that delays departure then it will only cause more hassle.

As Morerosado said the Passport office will renew with the time added on, so you don't lose out. Don't leave it till the last minute though.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 10:36 PM by axwhale Star rating in Kent. 39 posts Send private message

So glad I read this post I hadn't realised that you had to have 6 months on the passport , Mine is due to run out soon and I would have merrily gone off on hols with only the few weeks left. I have now applied for new one .   Thanks !!!

Axwhale

www.palomaressunbreaks.co.uk

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 11:01 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

When we went to La Manga in 2006, one of the kids only had 3 days left on their passport when we returned.

I was aware that there could be an issue, so I contacted the Spanish Embassy for their view before we left the UK. They said that as long as it was valid throughout the scheduled trip, we would be ok.... and we had no problems.

I suspect that the 6 month rule applies to travel to non-EU countries.

However, it may be worth checking if there have been any more recent rule changes.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 8:25 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
There shouldn't be any problem.
I flew back to Ireland for Xmas and came back last week. My passport expires next week.
During checkin they just reminded me that it needed renewing.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 10:01 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/index.asp

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/faqs-foreign-travel-specified-validity.asp

You can apply up to 9 months before expiry of your passport. I agree with DoubleJ that it depends on country you visit, Spain may not be one !! 

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 11:09 PM by axwhale Star rating in Kent. 39 posts Send private message

filled in my forms last night after reading post,  in the post today. cheers folks. Better safe than sorry, don't want to miss a holiday.

axwhale

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 12:37 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Open to correction, but I think you'll find that in the EU, for EU passport holders (ie those that do not require a visa to enter) the three/six month limit is not applicable.  As far as I'm aware, Spain only requires that EU citizens have a valid passport/travel document for the duration of their stay.

Most countries that require you to have a visa to enter will insist on having three/six months validity remaining on your passport.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

hola everybody - 2 posts
San Blas Tenerife - 1 posts
Andalucian Delegation Association for the Defence of Home Owners - 0 posts
3 bed - long term rental required. - 0 posts
taxis at san javier airport - 4 posts
Introduction - 5 posts
calanovaseagolf - 5 posts
Wanted property to buy minimum of two bedrooms. - 1 posts
bringing a jet ski from Uk to Spain - 0 posts
house insurance - 16 posts
Wanted - Holiday rental for July - Aug 08 Sleep 6 to 8 - 2 posts
The Buzz of spain - 6 posts
Contract Ts & Cs - Cancellations - comments - 1 posts
Things for Kids to do in Denia? - 2 posts
Nationwide Flex a/c - 43 posts
Airports set to ease bags limit - 8 posts
Newquay to Alicante - Another option for those in the Southwest - 2 posts
Part Exchange - 0 posts
Has anyone received a communication from the builders or Masa re connecting gas? - 8 posts
Long Term Rental Contract - 2 posts
Selling property in england - 33 posts
car seat laws - 1 posts
Selling a business in Spain - 6 posts
santa anna jumilla - 1 posts
Before you know it - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x