Has anyone received a communication from the builders or Masa re connecting gas?

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by laflauta Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Would it be a good idea to convert pounds into euros now or would it be better to wait? I have recently sold a property in the U.K and would like to put it somewhere.Offshore, Switzerland.....Any advice would be appreciated.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 12:50 PM by patpur Star rating in Castle Bromwich Bir.... 389 posts Send private message

Hi Laflauta l would wait if you are  not in need of the euros now, as the exchange rate is the worst it has ever been at the moment hopefully it will get better and not go down further.Regards Pat.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 4:17 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Terrible rate at the moment. It was 1.46 back in July, you are lucky to get 1.33 now!! I'd put it in a Jersey bank/ Guernsey for the time being if you want offshore. The taxman will still find you though eventually .

Mark

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 4:49 PM by laflauta Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Thanks both for your replies. Any difference between a bank in Gibraltar and Jersey? There seem to be so many banks to choose from and it is dificult which one to go for having no experience with them. Any ideas?

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 4:59 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Not sure about the banking system, but Jersey and Guernsey are both duty free havens. If you travel in mainland Europe, you do not get an allowance, you can bring as much back locally tax paid as you wish. In the Channel Islands, you can buy it all tax free, but you have an allowance.

I know the channel Isles were "touting" for offshore business a few years ago, but I think Gordie put the kybosh on the "hidden accounts" when they launched their amnesty for offshore assets. I know nothing of Gibralatar, sorry.

Mark

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 6:00 PM by peps Star rating in manchester and duque.... 410 posts Send private message

you could consider the dollar.  we transfered most of our savings into dollars when it was at 2.10 last month.  its still 1.98 at the moment and a good broker will still give you 1.96.  As long as you don't need to get your hands on it for a while it will make you money

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 1:23 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

On my last visit to Gibraltar I checked out the new Leeds Permanent BS office. They were offering a 1 year fixed rate bond at 6.7% paid gross but that deal may well have changed since the start of 2008. You can ask up to half of your investment back at any time. The account is in Sterling and you can either renew the investment at the end of the term with another deal or they will issue you with a cheque payable to who ever want to - Business, Personal or even Mickey Mouse!! but remember the Inland Revenue has a long arm..........................

Mike T

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 3:02 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
Peps hope you are right but I don't think so

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 4:55 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Any new accounts in Gib can be requested by the tax man - older ones are expemt, but what about a swiss bank account. I was in a meeting today with a swiss bank rep who told me a very interesting thing - if you use a swiss bank account that has branches in other countries, then the various governments can force information from the parent swiss bank. Hence these guys keep thier branches in Switzerland and therefore cannot be forced to disclose anything!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Long Term Rental Contract - 2 posts
Selling property in england - 33 posts
car seat laws - 1 posts
Selling a business in Spain - 6 posts
santa anna jumilla - 1 posts
Before you know it - 1 posts
Search in off plan development area - 1 posts
Question about Al Andalus location - 12 posts
Anybody bought in Vegamar I residencial? - 3 posts
Rental in Los Alcazares - 1 posts
Looking for a rental - 0 posts
Drinking Water - 33 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
Are some "budget" airlines taking us for a ride? - 16 posts
Standard poodle puppies for sale - 1 posts
Hello All - 4 posts
New User - 2 posts
Photo ID requirements - 10 posts
Property Bargain! - 0 posts
Happy New Year from your newest 2 users. xox - 26 posts
Looking for property to rent for next christmas? - 3 posts
Buying off-plan. Fixed completion date or unfair term - 2 posts
Hi everybody from Benajarafe, Málaga - 1 posts
Car seats for very young babies - 13 posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR! - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x