Car seats for very young babies

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

ADVICE please from all you young travellers with tiny babies !!

When my son and daughter in law come to Spain with us their new baby will only be 2 months old.When we booked our hire car we were told that we couldnt book a car seat for a very young baby. We had no problem at all on an earlier trip with our 12 month old grandson as he used a front facing seat.

In the UK it has to be a rear facing one -  does the same law apply in Spain ? What have other people done in a similar situation ? We are trying to avoid taking one out from the UK but obviously will if that's the only option.

Thank you

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 9:03 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

We were in Spain in September with my  daughter and son in law + our 9 month old grandaughter. There was no problem in getting a rear facing car seat from Malaga Airport. We had a week with just our daughter and baby and so needed a car seat for our hire car. The one we were given was newer than the one our daughter had so we just swapped them over.

PS. I did notice whilst waiting at the luggage collection point that many parents took their own baby car seats. If I had a young baby, this is what I would do.

This message was last edited by Tish on 1/4/2008.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 10:29 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I suppose each car hire firm will have it's own policy on car seats.  From a safety point of view I think a 2 year old should only go in a rear facing child seat so if you have to take one with you then you'll have to do it.  Or maybe try another car hire firm...there are many!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 10:36 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

I'd be interested in seeing how you would fit a 2 year old into a rear facing seat Justin!!! 

Hope you are feeling better now ....you just need to engage brain!

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 10:42 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Whoops!    Meant 2 months of course!

Yes, after back problems and terrible headaches I've been away from the PC for too long and my brain in stuck in 2007!  Feeling much better, thanks.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 10:53 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thanks for replies.

I think you are right we had better take out the seat with us this time and another time book with a different hire company.

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 2:36 PM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Hi Gillian,

We live in Spain and use a Travel System type that combines pushchair/pram/car seat and we have been to the UK with the car seat part of it twice now without any problems.  I'm not sure if its law but its definitely advised to use a rear facing child seat until at least 12 months because the muscles in the baby's neck would not be strong enough  to cope with the whiplash caused by a head-on collision, possibly resulting in a broken neck for the little one.

HTH

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 10:01 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Justin:

Luis and I are glad you are feeling better.

Maria ( and Luis)

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Apr 2008 10:09 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Our 15 months old Grandaughter is visiting (with her parents) in June and they will not be hiring a car as we will be picking them up. What are the laws regarding children over 1 year travelling in cars, can they travel in the back on a parents lap or must they have their own child seat?

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2008 10:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jacqui, they need their own seat just like they do in the UK.

You could email info@holitots.com in Torrevieja to ask if they could put you in touch with a more local hirer. Holitots hires out everything to do with children to holiday makers in the Torrevieja area so may have contacts. http://www.holitots.com/ (I think it's owned by Marie).

Like 0      
15 Apr 2008 10:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The rules in Spain are the same as UK.  Children must have their own car seat. I had to have a booster seat for my 8 year grandaughter last year and a child seat for my 5 year old grandson.  Children under 135cm must have a booster seat.

This from the Get Spain website:

Up to 9 months and up to 10 kg, a carrycot must be used laid across the rear seat and secured with the car's safety belt or any specially approved attachment.

From 10kg to 13kg and up to 2 years of age, a child's car seat fitted in the rear with the child facing rearwards.

From 9kg to 18kg and from 9 months to 3 years old, child seats facing frontwards or rearwards , fitted in the rear of the car and secured as detailed in the seats instructions.

From 15kg to 25kg and 3 to 6 years of age, use a seat adaptor (elevator) to lift the child up to fit comfortably with, if necessary, a CE-EU approved seat belt adaptor.

From 22kg to 36kg and 6 to 12 years of age, use a seat elevator so that the child is comfortably protected using the seat belts.

Children up to the age of 12 are not allowed to sit in the front seat.

.  There are hire shops which will rent out a child car seat and I have definitely seen such shops in Torrevieja but can't  remember where.  I'm sure they'll have the same type of shops wherever you are.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2008 10:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

In all seriousness Jacqui, you surely wouldn't take the risk, regardless of breaking the law, of your grandaughter being safe sitting on someone's lap.

I recall watching this You Tube video of a (simulated) unrestrained youngster in a car crash even at 35mph ... horrific.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2008 9:53 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi, thanks for the responses, I thought that would be the case, and no, in all seriousness I wouldn't - but my (step) son-in-law asked me the question and I said I would find out. It is good to know there are places that hire car seats, we have a few weeks to find one near us.

On a different note we have got a great little bathing suit for her, it's like a little runners suit with built in bouyancy and the fabric is UV resistance to protect from sun burn.Speedo Girl Polywog SuitBeing new to this baby bit (I never had children) I can't get over how how simple an idea it is. As they get more confident in the water you can remove the floats.

Brilliant!

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2008 10:12 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.................... it's so cute. 

As you say a brilliant invention, Jacqui.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HAPPY NEW YEAR! - 2 posts
Schools - Spanish v International - 29 posts
Mortgage Criteria Tightening - 7 posts
A website about new construction property in Murcia - 2 posts
can anyone help - 3 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
Advice on Off-plan Disaster Please - 18 posts
Hello, Happy New Year from Mag and Mitch from Edinburgh - soon Albamar, Quesada - 2 posts
Picture framing - 0 posts
Driving Lessons in Estepona - 0 posts
Endessa Online help please - 37 posts
Waxing lyrical about the city of Murcia yet again - 3 posts
A Happy Spain Experience - 43 posts
Looking for good property with potential - 19 posts
Long term let required on Roda Golf Resort! - 0 posts
Looking for long term let on Roda Golf Resort - 3 posts
Benalmadena ice rink - 7 posts
New road to Alicante Airport from Altea and North - 5 posts
Anyone heard of Compo & Sol? (see link) - 0 posts
Call costs to the UK - 3 posts
Wanted.. Accommodation in Benalmadena - 0 posts
Wanted..2+bed accommodation in Benalmadena near Arroyo de la Miel.. - 0 posts
Any recommendations for eating places in Mojacar/Turre/Garrucha/Los Gallardos ? - 36 posts
Happy New Year - 11 posts
Christmas in San Cayetano - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x