Importing a UK car to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

HI guys

Just wanted to let you know we managed to import our UK car without a gestor. It was relitively stress free.... apart from traffico is quite a stressful place but perfectly doo-able if you can handle the queing!!

A right hand drive isnt too bad on the spanish roads but obviously the tolls and car parks get a bit tricky and you have to be extra careful with those mopeds creeping up on you.

My advice... we imported our UK car without a gestor only because hubby speaks pretty much fluent spanish. I could not advise anyone doing this without a gestor if you dont speak spanish .............the word frustration would take on a whole new meaning. We went to many offices where the employees spoke no english and some of the paperwork was quite complex. If you can speak spanish well and you want to import your UK car then i dont see a reason why you should be put off. Just do your research before you take your car over there and import it within 30 days of taking it!!!

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
01 Jan 2008 5:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Tina, long time no hear from you & we´ve been thinking of you so much. (Hubby & I, that is.)

We´re in Spain at the moment, having dinner with Karensun & her hubby. (Been here on hols from Dec 14th, returning Jan 6th)Just wanted to say hi to you. Hope you´re all ok.

Happy New Year.

XX

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 9:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"....import it within 30 days of taking it!!!"

Not certain of this (you've been there done that so may know better) but strictly speaking, shouldn't that be: import it within 30 days of becoming a resident?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 12:54 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
I have posted this original story on EOS before but I can't remember where so I don't know where to put this update.  However, last June (2007) I paid a company, called Agencia Roldan in Estepona, €1200 to register the import of my 2001 Toyota Celica.  My solicitor handled the matter as a favour (didn't charge) as I couldn't speak Spanish.  My car had it's ITV in September ,and failed due to the English headlights (fair enough), but they claimed the tyre size of 205's I had were the wrong ones and they should be 195's, as that is what the Agencia put on the form.  The manual states that the car can have 195's or 205's and it had 205's the day I drove it out of the showroom!  The ITV centre accepted this but said the Agencia had supplied the wrong information and it was up to them to correct it before the car could be passed for the test. My solicitor told them what they had done wrong but it is now February 18th 2008 and nothing has been done.  I have threatened to sue, denounce them, I have demanded my money back, but not once in 8 months have they corresponded with me.  I haven't even had a receipt from them for the cash I paid them.  The solicitor gave me a receipt to say that HE received the money and what it was for, but that is all. What do I do now?

This message was last edited by orda on 2/18/2008.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 4:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hi Orda,

I remember you posting about this before. Can't believe it's still not sorted. What a hassle. I'm sorry, I can't suggest what to do next. I know it's of no consolation to you now, but at least your story serves as a warning to others thinking of bringing a car with them, that it may well be more trouble, and possible expense, than it's worth.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 4:42 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
Would you believe it?  One day after posting about registering my car I received a phone-call from my solicitor to come and pick up the documentation, that the agency had given him, and take it, and the car, to the ITV centre.  So off I went and the car sailed through its test.  I was given the green sticker and told to take the documentation back to the agency and return to the ITV centre in a week to be given all the parework and, presumably, the plates!   BUT, why am I the one doing all the running around?  Am I missing something?  At least the saga is nearly over, but I'll believe it when I get my plates.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 4:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just in case they cock up, I've had a selection made 4 U, Orda.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 5:00 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
Brilliant, I love It! LOL

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 5:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

More, you missed out a New Hampshire plate. Always made me chuckle when we lived in Massachusetts and saw them. Possibly the best state licence plate slogan: "Live free, or die!"

Could you make one for Spain? How about "be patient, or die"?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 5:18 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
On a similar line, the best sticker I have seen on a car was in the back window of a Ford Sierra driven by a woman.  It read " I HAVE PMS AND A LOADED GUN.  ANY QUESTIONS?"

Like 0      
20 Mar 2008 2:21 PM by Ando Star rating in Wolverhampton/Balsic.... 37 posts Send private message

Hi There

Does anyone have any information about the requirements and cost of registering a UK Motorbike in Spain

Ando

Like 0      
03 May 2008 10:47 AM by kennylynn Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi All is there anybody out there who has time on there hands and speaks spanish that will do the registering of my car for me ,payable of course.

I have heard that if you do it within 30 days then it is cheaper,any advice would be most welcome.

Ken In Sabbinilas

Like 0      
22 May 2008 8:59 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
It's done!!!!!!!!! After 11 months and nearly €3000's later I finally have Spanish plates and all the relevant documents.  In the end I went to pick up the documents from my solicitor who had them dumped on him by the Agencia I had paid all the money to for the purpose of ensuring my car was legal.  He gave me the paperwork and I eagerly held out my arms for the new plates and he rather sheepishly said "I'm afraid you have to buy them from a garage who will have them made up and you will need to pay someone to fit them!"  In the words of the great Homer Simpson "Jeebus, Doh", after all that they don't even give you the plates!!!  I'm touching wood when I say this next bit, but so far we haven't been flashed by other cars, or cut up, and we've even been let in by cars when entering from a slip road on to a stationary line of traffic!

Like 0      
22 May 2008 11:55 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Trust me...the honeymoon won't last! 

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Litani B&B near Pinoso - 3 posts
Hello from Lancashire, soon to be Pinoso :-) - 2 posts
Boats - 13 posts
Diesel in spain - 12 posts
Tapas Bar - 0 posts
Golf shops - 3 posts
ADSL in La Drova - 0 posts
NEW YEAR - 0 posts
completion costs (mortgage) - 4 posts
Healthcare and civil partnerships - 1 posts
PLAYING GOLF ON LA TORRE - 0 posts
Pleased to meet you! - 0 posts
search all cheap flights at once - 8 posts
The Queen Victoria - 0 posts
Merry Christmas - 0 posts
Thanks to Maria de Castro - 2 posts
Our Christmas hasn't started on a good note. - 5 posts
What's your favourite Christmas Song? - 10 posts
I'm new to eye on spain need some advice/information ? - 1 posts
The rain in Spain - 17 posts
Is it my imagination? - 25 posts
Loteria de Navidad - 2 posts
Orihuela - 0 posts
ATLAS INTERNATIONAL again - 66 posts
Nueva Condomina Opening Times - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x