Schools - Spanish v International

Schools and Education in Spain Guide
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Totty1408 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to read this thread, any information/experience you can share with us on this subject would be greatly appreciated,  we are new to this site so apologies if this issue has been raised before.

We have a dilemma; we are moving out from UK to Pinoso later this year and were originally happy to put our 2 children (aged 3 & 6) into the local Spanish school which we have heard nothing but good reports about.

Our concern comes through talking to others who have said that the exams taken in Pinoso School are not recognised in UK should our children want to move back to UK in later life or elsewhere in the world, they also teach little English so they will be predominantly Spanish educated.

That being the case - my husbands view is that we should put our children into an International School where the English curriculum is taught and English exams undertaken alongside Spanish language/culture lessons, I’m not convinced and after numerous ‘discussions’ (J) thought we would look for further information from people in the know.

Grateful for your honest opinions and/or experience.

Regards,

Steve & Sharon

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 10:40 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Steve and Sharon

This has to be one of the biggest decisions parents have to make when moving to Spain.  And it's not an easy one.

We published some articles on this subject which you may want to read:

Your Children's Education in Spain

Spain, The Right Choice For Your Children?

The Future of British Children in Spain

Spanish School Happy Kids

We have twin girls aged 5 in the local school and they are very happy there.  We don't think the level of education they are getting is the equivalent level to the international schools but we feel it's important for them to integrate as much as possible locally.  We do send them for extra Spanish lessons and do some work with them at home too. 

Tough decision....

Have a read of the articles and let me know if you want to discuss anything in them.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 11:19 AM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

I have taught in British state school system and also in South America in the international system. We have bought a house in Spain and will move permanently with a 10 year old and a teenager. We have considered the options as there is a new Kings College just opened nearby. Much depends on expectations and aspirations for your children. For children who will move back to the U.K. for boarding school or university, International school is the better option. If there is a chance that the family will not settle in Spain they will merge more easily back home if they have attended International school.

Why are many of us opting for a life in Spain? We like the Spanish pace of life and that is reflected in the school system. Our 10 year old will attend the local Spanish school and hopefully will start one grade lower as he will not speak much Spanish. Most children become fluent in 1 to 2 years. It would be interesting to hear from parents if this is their experience.

I have also known of people swtching from one system to another as children are all individuals and have different needs.

This message was last edited by lifeline on 1/4/2008.

This message was last edited by lifeline on 1/4/2008.

Daveil

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 2:11 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

It is a tough one. I moved here 13 years ago with 2 kids 5 and 3 at the time. Both went to Spanish Guadaria (private nursery) and I found that form the age of 4 they are being taught for junior school. I have found the system better in many respects to  the uk - and to explain I went back for 9 months and enrolled them in a uk school where all they did was play and paint pictures!

Neither of my two are interested in university in the UK and consider themselves Spanish. My daughter is in the second year of bachillerato and is preparing to go to university this september. She could have taken the international bachillerato which enables her to go to a uk uni. I think as her standard of english is so good - spoken in the home - she actually has the choice, but if children are totally spanish then what is wrong with the spanish uni?

Luckily I had decided to make Spain my home and not move, but if you think you will be moving then I would have thought the international school is the best as they are worldwide.

In response to your qs below, my tow did become fluent in a short time BUT my daughter had english friends which meant her understanding and fluency was hindered. When they moved and all her friends were then spanish and she watched spanish tv, read spanish books etc, she became totally fluent as is my son.

One issue that I did find was that at the second cycle of secondary school (subjets are taught in 2 year cycles) boys tend to get a bit picked on and girls can lose their way at the institutos. I found this and moved both of mine to private spanish school which got them both back on track and I thoroughly recommend.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 6:42 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

My son is now 36 and he was ecucated at a Spanish junior school and then as a weekly boarder in a UK prep then public school; was the transition difficult? No he had two years at a UK prep school affiliated to the public school he went to, so the transition was easy. Would we now follow the same format again with my grandson? Absolutely not, we will do what with the benefit of hindsight I should have done with my son and that is that he should have been educated entirely within the Spanish state system.

Now let me at this point declare that I am as soft as the proverbial brush where my family are concerned! On the first day my son went to school he was as happy as Larry, I took him to his class and he settled in without a backward glance; I on the other hand went back to my car and was totally distraught for forty minutes, crying like a baby! In honesty that is a major factor in why I would want my son or as is now the case why we want my grandson educated in Spain. Then comes the question state school or international school. If you are fortunate enough to live somewhere that offers good state schooling then I would suggest that it be used. My reasons? The child will learn Spanish much quicker, will integrate into the local community much easier and that in turn makes it easier for parents to integrate. A lot of course depends on whether people want to integrate or prefer to insulate themselves in a 'British Ghetto' using only british shops bars retaurants and services, mixing only with other ex-pats and perhaps one or two Spanish friends that can be 'shown off' when there is a BBQ!

Another not insignificant factor is cost! yes you can budget for school fees, but trust me on this that is only the start of it! If you are sending your child/children to a good public school the fees are only the guarenteed costs; then you have the school trips, could you say no? Of course not and the difference being when a public school look to do a school trip, budget is not in the equation. Skiing trips, but only to the top French and Swiss resorts, cricket tour of Australia, one to one tuition in Aikido with the then World Champion and so it goes on. Oh have I mentioned the cost of the phone calls and flying back every weekend to watch whilst juniour plays football, rugby, cricket, swims or whatever. How can you not go when those experts at emotional blackmail come out with something on the lines of "Come on Dad, I'll be the only kid in the team who hasn't got a parent there if you let me down"; as a point of interest I missed one game in seven bloody years and those were the days before budget airlines! Then theres the holidays, a constant procession of testosterone fuelled teenage boys some staying for a week, others two, three or more! During the summer holidays our cleaner was with us 24/7, ok I exagerate but it felt like that! During the summer holidays if I wasn't cleaning up I was running back or forth to one or other of the airports. I won't bore you with the constant procession of teenage girls needing to be chaperoned or the 'taxi service' expected as a matter of course!

No sending your child back to school in the UK is not an easy option and in my view not even the better option. Again only my view but the Spanish education system and universities are generally very good; the school my grandson will be starting at has classes of10/15. My advice think long and hard before making such a very important decision. Where we live (just outside Huercal Overa) we are blessed with excellent state schools and this is obviously a big factor in the decision we made.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2008 12:19 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
we are planning to move in Summer 2008...and we have gone through the same things. My eldest daughter 12 announced she wants to go to a spanish school and not the Int'l on we thought she would do best in...My other 2 (sony 8 and daughter 3) we planed to pop into a state school. So its Spanish school for all of them. no doubt my wife and my spanish will improve as a result with all that homework!!

I think the question we all have to ask...is this a try out...or am I going to make this work and its going to be my home (I moved to Ireland for 2 years, that was 9 years ago. Why am I planning to leave...weather...cost of living...etc) and I have itchy feet again

We are planning this to be our final move...we love Spain...the Spanish..the lifestyle..the culture (the spanish love of their culture) I could go on...and on...

I also have seen how friendly so many people are..on this forum...in spain. My family and I are all looking forward to the change and working together. I have worked nonstop for many years now and feel like its time to see my youngest grow up...but not from a distance...

Here's to all those planning to move in 2008...can't raise a glass as I have pledged to give it up for January...(can't last longer than that!!)

Cheers

Like 0      
08 Jan 2008 3:07 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

The best of luck to you and you will Im sure love it as will your kids! Once the children settle and find out how much more fun they have, freedom and most of all respect they get, they will not want to return!

I moved around the UK for years and never quite settled, got here 13 years ago and felt at home immediately. And no your spanish wont improve with the homework as it is totally different to the curriculum you have now and the language will be beyond you! I speekee from experience!

Anyway, enjoy, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
08 Jan 2008 3:45 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

With children of 3 and 6 you have the benefit of time on your side.

I chose to put my children into a state school from the age of 3 and then when they get to the age of senior school make another decision then.

In my opinion to be accepted and to totally intergrate with the locals it is ideal to put your children into state school,they pick up the language so quickly and after a short time do not notice the difference between nationalities,they grow up with spanish friends,customs and their sense of morality.

I have nothing but praise for the particular state school we use and the teaching practices are second to none.

Pinoso is a beatiful town and a great place to grow up(4th richest town in Spain)if you didn't already know!

All the best with the move

Georgia 

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 7:12 PM by shezbo40 Star rating in Cuevas de San Marcos.... 8 posts Send private message

Hi All

Just thought I would share our experiences with regards schools.   We moved in May 2007 to a small village Cuevas de San Marcos near Antequera (Malaga area).  Our daughters are aged 15, 13, 11 and 10.  We decided with our eldest for her to attend an International school as she was going in to her last year in uk school.  However when she enrolled at the int school they suggested that she go back a year as they said there standard was far higher than the uk shcools.  Personally I don't agree on this one.  She started in September and we had a 2 1/2 round trip both mornings and evening which to be honest became a pain but we knew it was one sacrifice we had to take.  However we were surprised when 6 weeks into school she asked if she could attend the local school.  She said that she felt she wasn't fitting in with the local kids and that most of the kids in the int school didn't bother to learn spanish as most were english.

We thought long and hard about this as we didn't want to hinder her education but to be honest our other 3 had already started at the local school and had all settled in very well.  In the end we it was decided that she could move and despite a rocky start it is now one of the best decisions we have ever made.  She started back a year and did extremely well in her mock exams just before christmas.  Both her and our 13 year old will sit exams in May/June and they have to pass 9 out of 11 subjects to go up to the next year (they think nothing about keeping kids down a year).  This has been a great incentive for my girls as they don't want to stay behind a year as they have made so really good friends.  All four of my girls are almost fluent in spanish and the two younger ones had amazed me.  Initially they did seperate work to the class and are given extra help re their spanish but they are now doing most subjects along with the class as are the two older ones.  The thought of studying History in spanish or even maths scares me yet they have all just got on with it.  They all get a fair amount of homework and our two older ones get at least 3 hours per evening....

All in all it has been a positive move for us as a family despite our business closing last week. (long story) but our girls are very happy and settled.  They all have got a good circle of friends and just like in the UK we have a house full of kids most nights.  They have all been accepted which is one thing our eldest felt she was missing out on with going to the Int school.

All children are different and ours have all adapted in their own ways.  What works for one may not work for another.  Go with your own instincts and listen to your children. 

Hope this insight is of some help to some of you

Regards

SHERRYL

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 9:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Thanks for that post  SHERRYL

For others please also read spanish or international school? Justin really should join these threads up.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2008 12:41 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Thanks for posting that Sherryl.  Schools is such a headache for any parents moving to Spain and you always wonder if you are doing the right thing by them.  Your kids seem happy and for me that is always THE most important factor.

Sorry to hear about your business, hope you can still do something to stay in Spain.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
31 Jan 2008 4:30 PM by shezbo40 Star rating in Cuevas de San Marcos.... 8 posts Send private message

Hi Justin

I agree as long as the kids are happy that is the main thing, however we do now need to sort jobs out in aid for us to stay. 

Regards

Sherryl

Like 0      
31 Jan 2008 8:49 PM by Barbie Star rating in Costa del Sol, Villa.... 47 posts Send private message

Hi, We have had a very similar experience with schools, we have two daughters in a local school, who are aged 7 & 13, and a son of 15 is attending an int school on the coast. We had intended to also place our 13 year old in the int school, however she choose to attend the local one. As it happens this has been the best thing for her, and we are very proud of the way both of the girls have coped. Unfortunately my son is struggling at the int school, although as we have only been here since August last year, its probably partly the move away from  friends, family etc.  I think schooling is the biggest concern and worry about moving across from the uk, and worry about it a lot, but we also see so many good things about being here. No matter what happens, two of my children will be completely fluent in Spanish within the next few months, which will be such a benefit for them. My son, although not learning much Spanish in school is very friendly with one of our Spanish neighbours, it doesnt matter that they dont speak each others language when playing on a ps2. One of my main concerns is what is there for the children when they reach school leaving age if they dont attend uni, anyone got any idea's?

Barbara

Like 0      
02 Feb 2008 6:28 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Barbara

Yes, "what to do after school" is an equally important factor here.  We did write an article on this subject recently and will be writing more about for our newsletter soon.

The Future of British Children in Spain

Justin

Like 0      
03 Feb 2008 2:48 PM by Barbie Star rating in Costa del Sol, Villa.... 47 posts Send private message

Hi Justin,

Have just read your article, and very much agree with what you have to say. This problem is not going to go away and is very worrying. There simply are not the options here that are available in the uk, for non Spanish children. My husbands job in the uk was teaching joinery nvq level to young people, its a shame there is nothing like that here, a good training college would be excellent. Both my husband and I have got jobs working for English companies, as have most of the English people I know. I often wonder why someone out there hasnt started training courses for British young people especially after the on-going success of the few schemes that have been started.

Barbara

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 7:22 PM by Barbie Star rating in Costa del Sol, Villa.... 47 posts Send private message

Hello, I'm Jessica, and I am 14 years old, and I have lived in Spain since last August. In September I had to choose which school I went to. I could go to St. Georges International School with my brother (16) or to the local Spanish school. I chose to go to the local Spanish school. When I first started I found it quite scary because they were all touchy and shouty, but they were all very friendly and talkied to me. On the second day I was there, a teacher came in my class and asked for me, and I got assessed how much Spanish I could speak with some other foreign people. I got given 3 lessons on Tuesday and 2 lessons on Thursday. The teacher was very nice, she also went to my sister - who was in the first school. I found these lessons very useful. Some of the other lessons were very difficult as they were all in Spanish, and it was hard to keep up. There is a very different method of teaching too, you have to buy textbooks for every lesson and also notebooks to write in. We get tested regularly about what we have learnt, and if you have 5 or above it is a pass, and if it is 4,9 or below it is a fail. At the end of every term you get a report with the levels on, and at the end of the year if you have failed more than 3 subjects you have to stay in the same year. But the Spanish teachers are very flexible and say if you work hard and get reasonable levels they won't keep you in the same year. Overall I like going to a Spanish school, I have made friends, I am passing exams and everyone is friendly and helpful.

Jessica

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 7:29 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Hello Jessica

I have to congratulate you on the articulate way that you have shared your experience. I am sure that by sharing this on the forum, you will reassure an awful lot of young people who are facing the same situation.

I hope that you continue to enjoy you Spanish school, it certainly sounds like you are making every effort.

I think you should be very proud of yourself.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 7:55 PM by shezbo40 Star rating in Cuevas de San Marcos.... 8 posts Send private message

Hi Jessica

I am 15 and like you I attend my local Spanish school.  My mum posted earlier on re our experiences.  I did attend St Georges for about 6 weeks.  My parents had spoken to me in great length about the choices I had and they let me make the final decision.  I felt that going to the International school that it would be much easier for me.  However I started to struggle with the travelling and I also felt that I was missing out mixing with the local kids.  My other three sisters started the local schools and they started to come home speaking much more Spanish than me.  We have no plans to go back to the UK so I knew it was very important for me to learn the language.  At St Georges there were quite a lot of them who could only speak a little spanish and had been attending there for some years... 

All in all it has been the best move I ever made and I am now really settled in the spanish school.  I do find it hard somedays but I still wouldn't swap back.  I have now got a good circle of friends and feel a lot more settled.  I am really working hard at the moment as I don't want to repeat this year.  I started back a year anyway so it would mean that I am 2 years behind.  My exam results were good just before christmas so hopefully I will do ok and move up.

Jodie

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 8:01 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Well done Jodie for showing another perspective.

If I was having to make this very difficult decision, listening to you & Jessica would, I am sure, make it that bit easier.

Well Done!

There must be some awfully proud parents in that neck of the woods.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 7:10 PM by Barbie Star rating in Costa del Sol, Villa.... 47 posts Send private message

Hi Jodie, thanks for the message I enjoyed reading it, its nice to hear another point of view about Spanish schools. I hope you continue to be happy there.

Jessica

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mortgage Criteria Tightening - 7 posts
A website about new construction property in Murcia - 2 posts
can anyone help - 3 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
Advice on Off-plan Disaster Please - 18 posts
Hello, Happy New Year from Mag and Mitch from Edinburgh - soon Albamar, Quesada - 2 posts
Picture framing - 0 posts
Driving Lessons in Estepona - 0 posts
Endessa Online help please - 37 posts
Waxing lyrical about the city of Murcia yet again - 3 posts
A Happy Spain Experience - 43 posts
Looking for good property with potential - 19 posts
Long term let required on Roda Golf Resort! - 0 posts
Looking for long term let on Roda Golf Resort - 3 posts
Benalmadena ice rink - 7 posts
New road to Alicante Airport from Altea and North - 5 posts
Anyone heard of Compo & Sol? (see link) - 0 posts
Call costs to the UK - 3 posts
Wanted.. Accommodation in Benalmadena - 0 posts
Wanted..2+bed accommodation in Benalmadena near Arroyo de la Miel.. - 0 posts
Any recommendations for eating places in Mojacar/Turre/Garrucha/Los Gallardos ? - 36 posts
Happy New Year - 11 posts
Christmas in San Cayetano - 4 posts
Importing a UK car to Spain - 13 posts
Litani B&B near Pinoso - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x