Making an insurance claim

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Nov 2021 9:11 AM by AndyMase Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, my neighbour has informed me my shower is leaking into his bathroom below. His insurance company are telling him he has to claim via my insurance directly and not via his insurance, is that correct?

Like 0      
14 Nov 2021 1:00 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2586 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

This happened to us too. We contacted our insurer (Liberty Seguros) and they did all the necessary work in our apartment and made repairs downstairs too.

Like 0      
16 Nov 2021 8:15 AM by acer Star rating. 1465 posts Send private message

Andy, in the UK there is legislation to make it clear that unless there is gross negligence there is basically no liability on anyone.  The rationale being twofold, that with flats (etc) it's too commonplace and the powers that be don't want the courts to be blocked by petty small amounts and sometimes you cannot be sure where the leak comes from.

RICS have issued some legal guidelines generally used in the property sector, which includes this item where the advice is that the Freeholder should meet the repair cost and charge it out under the Service Charge to all leaseholders.

I don't know the situation in Spain, the standard of training and legal understanding is far lower - although it seems that Liberty Seguros are more enlightened.

Your neighbours insurer is wrong.  They should meet the cost of your neighbours repair themselves (that's what they pay the premium for!!!).  The insurer then have the right to subrogate against you to recover their outlay.  In the UK they would not even try, in Spain...?  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

leaving spain - 1 posts
travelling between UK, Gib and Spain with Irish passport - 16 posts
Border between Faro and Ayamonte - 1 posts
Capital gains question - 10 posts
New Rules on Plus Valia - 5 posts
Is anyone of you among these? - 0 posts
Very few British property buyers. - 8 posts
OVERSTAYING 90 DAYS DUE TO ILLNESS - 12 posts
Capital Gains Tax rollover relief/exemption - 4 posts
Non residents bank accounts - 1 posts
Why the bitterness? - 20 posts
Property revaluation - 11 posts
Plus Valia Tax - 1 posts
How to complain about poor service from my lawyer - 22 posts
Bank Account (Sabadell) - 0 posts
Recent tie number - 0 posts
Post Brexit overstaying - 3 posts
Owned Roof Terraces vs Uso Privitivo - 10 posts
Banking in Spain - 5 posts
Swimming pool - 6 posts
Patio door repairs - 3 posts
Desperate Hunt for suitable property - 0 posts
Spanish Legal Reclaims - 8 posts
Tax question - 8 posts
Selling property without estate agent /good Gestoria - 26 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x