travelling between UK, Gib and Spain with Irish passport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Nov 2021 12:45 AM by jimmygab Star rating in UK. 5 posts Send private message

i'm visiting Gibraltar from the UK in January and travelling on my Irish passport. When staying in Gibraltar I plan to go into Spain for the odd day or two but we are staying in Gib and flying out of there too. In all of those trips (exit from UK, entry to Gibraltar, entry into Spain. return to Gibraltar, return to UK when will my passport be stamped? It would be great to hear from you if you have practical experience 😊

This message was last edited by jimmygab on 11/14/2021.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2021 10:09 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are not a Spanish resident ...you will get your passport stamped having a Irish passport does not give you the right to stay in Spain for anymore time than someone having a British passport ..the 90 / 180 day rule applies to the Irish passport holder ... lots of British people with Irish connections have been applying for Irish passports assuming that they can get into Spain without any border checks this is not the case.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2021 11:48 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I thought you could if you had a Southern Irish passport, maybe not so with either then, also I did read some months back that, presumably Southern Ireland, were making many thousands out of selling these, have all these people been duped into buying a Southern Irish passport which is not as good as first thought?

Like 0      
17 Nov 2021 1:22 PM by jimmygab Star rating in UK. 5 posts Send private message

Thank you you for your responses. Unfortunately you both appear to be under a misunderstanding. I telephoned my Irish passport office in the last week or two, who confirmed I am an EU Citizen because of my Irish citizenship, and there is no limit to the length of time I can stay in Spain provided I inform the appropriate authorities of my residence as required. Although the length of time I can stay wasn't my question, I'm glad to be able to help you for any similar questions you might want to answer in the future. I also wish you better luck in finding that elusive Irish relative.

This message was last edited by jimmygab on 11/17/2021.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2021 1:57 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Your Irish passport office is not giving you the right information..any EU citizens traveling to another part or the EU is only permitted to stay in that country for a maximum of  180 days ..if you stay any longer you will be classified as a Tax resident these are EU rules ...that have always been infoce...but they should not concern you as you are only visiting for a couple of days

Like 1      
17 Nov 2021 3:11 PM by jimmygab Star rating in UK. 5 posts Send private message

i'm visiting Gibraltar from the UK in January and travelling on my Irish passport. When staying in Gibraltar I plan to go into Spain for the odd day or two but we are staying in Gib and flying out of there too. In all of those trips (exit from UK, entry to Gibraltar, entry into Spain. return to Gibraltar, return to UK when will my passport be stamped? It would be great to hear from you if you have practical experience 😊

Like 0      
17 Nov 2021 3:27 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

If someone answered you back with a yes it will be stamped, are you not going to go? Or do you just want to know if you will get a stamp?

Like 2      
18 Nov 2021 12:59 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Jimmygab..try asking the Irish government if they will give you a EU/ Irish EHIC card to use with a Bootleg Irish passport.. before you ask I will save you the brother as the answer will be no chance..  I expect you will miraculously find your British passport and British GHIC health card  if you become unwell while Ducking and Diving in the so called EU...LOL.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 11/18/2021.

Like 1      
18 Nov 2021 5:28 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

jimmyjab

I too have an Irish passport and will be travelling from Manchester to Spain in December. I will not be having my Irish passport stamped as I am (as you have stated) classed as an EU citizen so have the right to stay up to 180 days in any rolling year. Regardless of where your flight, sailing or border originates you are classed as an EU citizen, so to answer your question I would not expect you to have your Irish passport stamped. Re windys comment about the GHIC health card they are correct that to obtain one of these you would need to be a resident of Ireland, but you can use your UK issued one along with your UK passport if you should need to.

Like 1      
18 Nov 2021 6:23 PM by jimmygab Star rating in UK. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks I appreciate your response, Jarvi. It's good to get a response from somebody with experience. In effect I'm just gonna have to wait and see what happens which will be interesting.

This message was last edited by jimmygab on 11/18/2021.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2021 7:36 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

By May 2022 all passports will be scanned going in and out of the EU /UK most countries are already doing this Spain is just a little bit slower catching up...you must make sure that you use the same passport to leave Spain as you used when entering as you could be classed as overstaying the 180 days...Spain  does not recognise duel nationality so you can only use one passport when in Spain .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 11/18/2021.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2021 8:31 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Who really care’s if your passport is stamped or scanned? Probably only those up to no good.

HaHa, They did not stamp my passport.

HaHa, they did not stamp my passport.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2021 8:46 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh.  Big brother is watching you at the moment..and he will be keeping a very close eye on you come ...May 2022...LOL.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2021 10:23 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

If big brother watches me and it makes the world a safer place, I am up for it. 

Like 0      
20 Nov 2021 8:48 PM by Fhanrah Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Irish and living in Ireland but travel to Spain roughly once a month if work permits. I travelled to Spain in October and while in the queue for immigration in Malaga Airport a lady called out any EU passport holders, she brought us to the top and the passport control officer asked us to pull down or masks looked at the photo and waved us through. The passports were not scanned nor stamped. This isn't the first time we were waved through immigration. In the last 5 years none of our passports have been stamped, and that inculdes the UK due to the common travel agreement

Like 1      
21 Nov 2021 12:08 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Surely the stamping of passports is a new thing due to the UK leaving the EU, this wasn't about 5 years ago for anyone, and are you saying you don't have to put your passports into the scanners at airports?

Like 0      
21 Nov 2021 2:25 PM by jimmygab Star rating in UK. 5 posts Send private message

Fanrah, Thanks for your post. It's much appreciated.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Border between Faro and Ayamonte - 1 posts
Capital gains question - 10 posts
New Rules on Plus Valia - 5 posts
Is anyone of you among these? - 0 posts
Very few British property buyers. - 9 posts
OVERSTAYING 90 DAYS DUE TO ILLNESS - 12 posts
Capital Gains Tax rollover relief/exemption - 4 posts
Non residents bank accounts - 1 posts
Why the bitterness? - 20 posts
Property revaluation - 11 posts
Plus Valia Tax - 1 posts
Bank Account (Sabadell) - 0 posts
Recent tie number - 0 posts
Post Brexit overstaying - 3 posts
Owned Roof Terraces vs Uso Privitivo - 10 posts
Banking in Spain - 5 posts
Swimming pool - 6 posts
Patio door repairs - 4 posts
Desperate Hunt for suitable property - 0 posts
Spanish Legal Reclaims - 8 posts
Tax question - 8 posts
Selling property without estate agent /good Gestoria - 26 posts
Ridiculous expensive car hire prices. - 5 posts
Endesa email regarding lower tax due to high prices. - 1 posts
Community administrators - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x