Non-Lucrative Residence Visa

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2021 1:29 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

The above may be a possible answer for those Brits who prefer not to apply for Spanish residency, but seek greater access than the Schengen rules allow. 

There is a solicitor in Alicante who seems to be marketing this government scheme (easily googled).

As per their website, it's for:

~ non EU nationals looking to reside in Spain for more than 90 days require a visa for entry into Spain. The "non-lucrative residence visa" allows you to reside in Spain, but does not permit a professional activity nor employment.

~ the non-lucrative residence visa application must be submitted at the Spanish Consulate of the applicant’s home country.

• Application form.
  • Valid passport or travel document.
  • Criminal record document or equivalent.
  • Documentation proving sufficient financial means.
  • Documentation proving medical insurance.
  • Medical certificate.

~ not positive, but it seems that if say you're already paying your taxes in the UK and have no income derived from Spain then there is not any tax declaration required.

Has anyone any knowledge of how this works in practice and long term?

Like 0      
15 Feb 2021 1:56 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

All this talk of obtaining a none lucrative visa that permits you to live in Spain for up to 12 months .. when you look into it you would need to be pretty well off to obtain one.. apparently it will cost you approximately €400 just to apply then you will need private health insurance paid upfront for the 12 months / you also need proof of financial income of €500 per week per person...so unless you are rolling in money I wouldn't bother.. personally we don't mind the 90/180 rules as we don't stay in Spain any longer than 6 months of the year.

Like 2      
15 Feb 2021 4:53 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Windtaker - you say "all this talk" I haven't seen this anywhere before until today and never on EOS.

In the scheme of things is €400 prohibitive?  You'll have paid a lot more for your property, so why not use it fully when you want?

I'm unsure I will, but I made the post in case of interest to others. 

Like 2      
15 Feb 2021 5:28 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Acer ...it's all over Facebook about the NLV..you will still need a income of €500 per week for the duration of your stay and a health insurance policy paid upfront ...just the same as if you applied to become a resident.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2021 7:36 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Windtaker, thanks for yours although I'm surprised by what you say.   I follow a couple of Facebook groups in Spain, but the "non lucrative visa" option has never been mentioned on any of them, nor on EOS.   Possibly you may be over estimating the knowledge on the subject.

Incidentally, I've just listened in to a recorded webinar on the subject where they indicated that an income was not a pre-requisite for a "non lucrative visa".  Apparently you just needed to establish enough wealth when the application for the visa is made.  It was a lump sum, not a weekly amount.

Not sure your comment regarding healthcare insurance premiums is correct either.  I have an overseas cover which is paid monthly, surely this is standard, not paid "upfront".

Like 1      
16 Feb 2021 10:06 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Acer ..I am not a expert by a long chalk..most of the information I have read on the subject come from Google or Facebook ...most of what you read on Facebook can be taken with a pinch of salt .. apparently when you apply to become a none working resident of Spain they require a health insurance policy paid upfront for the first year..they also require a income of around €500 per week even if you are a UK OAP so when you take this information in hand one can only assume that when you apply for a NLV the Spanish will require the same.. apparently you must not become a burden on the Spanish Taxpayers when in Spain.. pre Brexit the UK Government asked the EU if they could apply the same residency and visitor rules / not to become a burden on the British Tax payers as the Spanish have in force and the EU refused hence the Brexit ..none of this really matters to me as I have no intention of living in Spain anymore than 180 days per year due to Tax reasons and so forth .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 16/02/2021.

Like 1      
16 Feb 2021 11:34 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Why would a UK OAP who has or is entitled to an S1 applying for any sort of residency in Spain need a health insurance policy paid upfront for the first year?

Like 1      
16 Feb 2021 1:32 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Don't know who, or is it Spain that has come up with all these weird figures about the amounts of money, and documentation you will need to start to live, or perhaps travel in Spain, but it sounds to me that if Spain is doing this then thats the last thing they need...To shoot the Goose that lays the Golden eggs.

Like 1      
16 Feb 2021 3:16 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Yes baz, Spain seems to have bureaucrats and politicians who dream up weird laws and rules that they can never enforce or intend to.

Like 1      
16 Feb 2021 4:30 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Requirements for a non lucrative visa for Spain

This initial temporary residence authorization will be valid for 1 year and later renewable for 2 years.

FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS

• Applicant 400% IPREM (2021 – 27072 euros or 2256 euros monthly)
  • The family that accompanies + 100% IPREM  (2021 – 6768 euros or 564 euros monthly)

MAIN REQUIREMENTS

• Not be irregularly in Spanish territory
  • Lack of a criminal record in Spain and in the previous countries of residence of the last 5 years.
  • Not appear as rejectable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement in this regard.
  • Have sufficient financial resources to meet your living and living expenses.
  • Have a public insurance or private health insurance concluded with an insurance entity authorized to operate in Spain.
  • Not being in the voluntary period of no return to Spain.
  • Not suffer any of the diseases that can have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.

So the health requirement is either an S1 (public) or private health insurance.

Must be applied for at the Spanish embassy in UK and cannot be applied for whilst actually in Spain. The approval will take up to 3 months and will be valid for no longer than 3 months in which time the applicant is to enter Spain and apply for a residency document from the National Police in the province they are going to reside in.

Seems like just a way to get permission to go to Spain and apply for residency as you won't be able to do that from Spain in future.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 16/02/2021.

Like 2      
16 Feb 2021 6:52 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh.. from the 1st of January 21 if you are a UK OAP you need private health insurance to live in Spain as a resident and a pension of approximately €500 per week .. hence the stampede from UK OAPs to get Spanish Residence before the 1st of January 21...the UK is no longer in the EU.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2021 7:11 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Windtalker, what government website states ‘’if you are a UK OAP you need private health insurance to live in Spain?’’

Like 0      
16 Feb 2021 8:25 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh..if you are a UK OAP as from January the 1st 2021..if you want to live permanent in Spain you will need private health insurance and approximately €500 per week income.. have a look on CAB Spain I thought this every British expatriate in Spain was aware of this...if you registered as a Spanish resident prior to the 1st of January 2021 the UK government will carry-on paying the Spanish government approximately €3,800 per year for you health care in Spain.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2021 11:30 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Yes, windtalker is right. If you move to Spain after 1st Jan 2021 then you can no longer get an S1.

The difference is that if you lived in Spain before that date, and you don't need to show official residency just bank statements, rental agreements, utility bills or whatever, then you can apply for the S1. Same as if you are a resident but under retirement age, you can apply for the S1 when you do reach retirement age and are in receipt of a UK pension.

Oh, and a correction to my post on the so-called lucrative visa. This will be valid for 3 months, not 1 like I said. You then have 3 months in which to go to Spain but the application for the TIE must take place within one month of arriving in Spain.

Like 2      
17 Feb 2021 12:11 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Mariedev, I do not doubt what you are saying  ‘’ If you move to Spain after 1st Jan 2021 then you can no longer get an S1.’’  Do you have a link to some government website stating this, not facetube or CAB charity.

Like 1      
17 Feb 2021 10:43 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Here is a summary of what UK residents wishing to move to Spain will need to do: Have no criminal record Register as a resident in Spain Exchange their UK driving licence for a Spanish one Register for healthcare as a resident in Spain – if you are already residing in Spain or move there permanently prior to 31 December 2020, you will have the same life-long healthcare rights in Spain as you do now, providing you continue as a resident. Prove they can support themselves and family by having a salaried position or are self-employed Must have an income of 700 Euros each month Prove they have not been ejected from Spain before An EX18 application form appropriately filled in and signed (two copies) Attach their passport (original and copy) Attach one passport photo Certificate of registration (Certificado de Empadronamiento) – from the Town Hall, that is no less than three months’ old from the day of application (original). An N.I.E. number – only applies if you own property in Spain or live in Spain as a resident. Might help a little which I doubt, one point is the 700 € a month way different from the 2000 € a month spoken about.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 17/02/2021.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2021 12:41 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Baz 1946.

I think you have posted an old requirement. That is what was needed when UK was a part of the EU. The EX18 gives it away as that is now out the window as is the requirement for just 700 euro a month which is 1 x IPREM and now, as no longer in the EU, the primary applicant needs 4xIPREM. I think you are posting what was needed if you moved to Spain prior to December 31st 2020 and is definitely not the same if you move after that date.

Amd the Gov.uk site states IF you moved to Spain before December 31st 2020 you may be entitled to an S1 if you have any other UK benefit. This is the relevant bit:

UK-funded healthcare: using an S1 form in Spain

There’s different guidance if you’re a posted worker.

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you’re a Spanish resident and receive a UK State Pension.

You may also be entitled to an S1 form if you’re a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another). You must contact HMRC National Insurance enquiries to find out if you’re eligible.

If you started living in Spain before 1 January 2021, you may also be entitled to an S1 if you receive some other ‘exportable benefits’.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2021 1:36 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Yes mariedav, you are correct. The legal company I asked about this sent over what I posted, Prove you, or the main earner, has a monthly income of €2130 and an extra €532 for each dependant Now they have sent over, when I questioned them about what you posted, the above. Sounds like Spain doesn't want anyone outside of the EU moving to Spain and spending money they're, hopefully they can get plenty of their own people to buy up their new built houses.

Like 2      
17 Feb 2021 3:37 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Direct link to Spanish Consulate in London in regards to non lucrative visa

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/LONDRES/en/Consulado/Pages/Visas.aspx

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/LONDRES/en/Consulado/Documents/RES%20ES-EN.pdf

You are assumed to be a tax resident if you obtain a residency permit in Spain, unless you fall into the categories of the Double Tax Treaty ( UK-Spain): permanent home, centre of vital interest and habitual abode

Under this treaty, certain UK pensions are exempt from taxation in Spain:  Government Service pensions (mainly fire, police and civil service, armed forces and local authority pensions, but not NHS).

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
17 Feb 2021 6:40 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If the Spanish government doesn't make some sort of concession as to how much money a UK citizen needs to become a resident you can Give it 5 years and the Costa's will be a wash with empty unsold properties ..

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

3% retention - 9 posts
Banco Santander, Manilva (San luis de Sabinillas) email address known? - 3 posts
New buyer location advice - 2 posts
looking to rent and then buy in Chantada/Rodeiro area - 2 posts
Bank Charges - 19 posts
Importing car to Spain post Brexit - 1 posts
Community AGMs - 6 posts
Import duty - 2 posts
Taxes on gift ? - 0 posts
Property Finders - worth the money? - 20 posts
What is going on now in general in Spain? - 4 posts
bank charge for money transfer - 45 posts
90 days - 6 posts
'New' tax on income from property. - 21 posts
toy poodle puppies - 2 posts
Volunteer work - 4 posts
CGT - 0 posts
WINTER RENTAL SPAIN - 6 posts
Early termination of long term lease - 4 posts
Non residents tax being rejected by bank - 3 posts
Utilities - 1 posts
GREAT NEWS - 0 posts
NEED TO CLOSE SANTANDER ACCOUNT FROM ABROAD - 1 posts
EHIC cards - 21 posts
Feliz navidad - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x