Any help would be so helpful.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jun 2018 2:57 PM by melpudney Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Guys ....
I would just like to introduce my Husband and I.
We recently holidayed in Benalmadena and have fallen in love with the place.
My Husband and I have been very happily married for 6 years and together for 8, We have 4 grown up children which have all now grown up left the family home. So we now have no responsibilities.
At 47 and 48 years young we're looking for a change of lifestyle.
We're willing to work and have our C.V's ready.
We're a very honest couple who just want the chance.
My Husband is a non drinker and i sometimes may have a little Gin and Tonic, Ideally we would love a job that has property with it ( its only us 2 so a studio would be fine)
I'm a receptionist / Customer care with 20 years experience and my Husband is an all rounder and could fit in anywhere he is currantly a contract cleaner for 1 of our largest Supermarkets.
We don't have alot and don't require alot but we are humble, honest and ready for a challenge and change of lifestyle.
So if anyone could give us any advice, tips or offers or advise about employment and accomodation we would both be so grateful 
Thank you all very much
x

Like 0      
29 Jun 2018 4:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As you may have realised from elsewhere unemployment is high in Spain.  

I think there is little chance of you being able to find what you hope for,  but good luck not 

This is an extract from

https://countryeconomy.com/labour-force-survey/spain-autonomous-communities/andalusia

Unemployment Andalusia 2018Q1

Total Men Women
Unemployment rate (LFS) [+] 24.7% 21.6% 28.6%
Unemployment rate less than 25 years [+] 48.7% 48.4% 49.1%
Unemployed rate over 24 years [+] 23.1% 19.6% 27.3%
Unemployment rate less than 20 years [+] 68.6% 64.9% 74.6%
Unemployment rate from 20 to 24 years [+] 44.2% 44.2% 44.2%
Unemployment rate from 25 to 54 years [+] 23.2% 19.4% 27.7%
Unemployment rate over 54 years [+] 22.4% 20.8% 24.6%

This message was last edited by johnzx on 29/06/2018.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 29/06/2018.

Like 1      
30 Jun 2018 9:16 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Mel and welcome to EOS

I do not wish to be rude, but someone needs to tell you that you are living a ‘’PIPE DREAM’’ that will all end in tears.

Like 1      
30 Jun 2018 11:29 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Whilst there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Brit expats working in Spain, they are generally in the lower paid service industries like waiting on tables, glass collection, cleaning etc. There are reception jobs (our solicitors has an English lady working there and our car dealers has an English lady in the service section) but you would need to speak fluent Spanish for those types of jobs. 

Some estate agents employ Brits to work for them to show their Brit customers around but, again, fluent Spanish would be required and most of the ones I've spoken to speak several languages.

Don't get your hopes up too much. Spain is not the cheap place it used to be and you would need to be earning an absolute minimum of 600 euro each per month to become a resident plus you will need private health insurance which could cost around 200 euro a month before you get a proper, pukka gen job with a contract that will cover you for healthcare. 

Many of the workers in cleaning jobs and so on don't have proper, contract providing jobs so have to continue paying private health insurance to keep them going.

As said, quite a lot of done it. Most of them work for Brit concerns like cleaning companies, hairdressers, bars and restaurants etc. Working for a Spanish company and we come back to the fluent Spanish bit.

Best of luck. It is worth it if you can manage to do it.

Like 2      
30 Jun 2018 12:23 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

On a more positive note......my wife and I live in rural Extremadura. When we moved here my wife (without a word of Spanish) was talked by newfound Spanish friends into giving English lessons to local kids. This soon got out of hand....the ayuntamiento offered her a classroom....all manner of local small-business people wanted basic lessons to be able to answer emails, etc....it grew into a monster that after a year she had to knock on the head. But she could easily have spent 40 hours a week teaching....people pooled payment....she would be given €20 or €25 an hour for teaching 5 kids. Most adults were happy to pay €20 an hour for one-on-one or two-on-one lessons. Even poor parents recognised the value of their 7-year-old upwards children having some English.  I suppose the advantage (for an English teacher) of being in a rural area is that the English-language facilities are minimal....whereas probably on the costas there is more opportunity for people to learn English.

Like 1      
24 Jul 2018 2:33 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, a rural area or an inner town ( there are hundreds of woderful ones in Spain) is the right place to start in Melpudney´s case in my opinion.

English lessons by a native are veru well valued and generally there are not many natives is these small towns.

Cost of living is also cheaper and people is usually more friendly, near and  willing to integrate

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Costaluz lawyers - 8 posts
Driving licence - 2 posts
No need for dish if you have Virgin Media in U.K - 5 posts
Credit Card and Car Hire - 1 posts
personnel relationship agreement sabadell bank? - 1 posts
Long term rental - 4 posts
Translation - 4 posts
Car - 3 posts
Bank charges - 1 posts
Bankia/BMN - 42 posts
Legal intrest payment - 3 posts
travel cot - 1 posts
one way van - 4 posts
superb help from Maria L. de Castro at Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
Work Permit for Egyptian Nationals in Canary Islands - 1 posts
BMN merger with Bankia issues - 20 posts
Localidad - 33 posts
motor home - 4 posts
Tasa 790 - 1 posts
Berta - 6 posts
Holiday Rental Licence - 0 posts
best areas to live in denia - 6 posts
Bank withdrawal - 3 posts
Key Holder required for 2 apartments - 1 in VillaMartin and 1 in La Mata - 1 posts
Car insurance - 27 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x