Bankia/BMN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jun 2018 12:51 PM by carmol Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Having finally sorted out online (from the UK) access to our bank account (no problem when it was BMN, then a complete mess when it was taken over by Bankia) we are now being driven mad by a message slapped over the account saying we haven't declared a country of fiscal residence. Not only did we sign documents declaring UK residence during one day of our Easter holiday which we had to spend in the bank sorting out a previously untroubled account, we have since sent copies of our NIEs, P60s and passports to the bank on at least five occasions. Sometimes the message disappears, only to reappear a few days later. Bankia's 'customer service' (I use the term losely) department say the notice has to be removed by the branch holding our account. The branch holding our account keeps getting our emails with the documents attached - and ignoring them. I am sick and tired of trying to deal with this level of incompetence and contempt for customers. What I can't make out is whether the Banking Ombudsman would look at this kind of complaint, or whether the ombudsman's office is only concerned with complaints involving some kind of financial loss. Does anyone have any experience of trying to complain about this type of thing in Spain?

Like 0      
15 Jun 2018 1:56 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Carmol

If it’s that bad why not just change bank?angry

Like 0      
15 Jun 2018 3:05 PM by carmol Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

One word: mortgage!

Like 0      
04 Feb 2019 12:20 PM by StevieDavies Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Oh my god, Bankia so bad and I have tried complaining and I love to know how to get this escalated.  I have been locked out of my bank account for almost 2 years.  I have signed and sent back all the forms on more than 4 occasions only to told that they have lost them, this is even after confirmation they have the forms.

I have to send them emails cc’ed to my lawyer to get them to do anything.

Here are some of the things which I endured

• They have sent me someone else's bank statements (twice) to me and my solicitor
  • Claimed that someone else at the branch has an account with the same name as me.  Which has caused the problem, like it was my fault.
  • The Manager put the phone down on me when the online bank codes she gave me didn’t work.
  • Ignore requests in emails to them by send back a 20 paper fax copy of forms to fill out.
  • Customer service will NOT call back the UK. EVER!!!

If I could move my mortgage to a UK based bank I would dump this bunch of clowns.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2019 12:51 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Use Hoja de Reclamación

Like 0      
04 Feb 2019 1:40 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

By using Hoja de Reclamación does this get officially reported back to the Bank of Spain for effective monitoring purposes? Is the Bank of Spain a regulator of the Spanish Banks at a consumer level?

Like 0      
04 Feb 2019 2:16 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Ads if you contact https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/ they will explain the Hoja de Reclamación to you.

Like 1      
04 Feb 2019 3:19 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

The question I posed was about Banking complaints and monitoring procedures Kavanagh, so when you directed the OP to use Hoja de Reclamacion I wrongly assumed that you might know!

Like 1      
04 Feb 2019 5:09 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are a none resident ...I think you will find that you will have to take your passport and proof of residence into the bank ...they will not accept copy's sent over the net .. although  I have not had my account frozen ..I have got to do this next week when I am over otherwise my account will be frozen...all the banks are following government directives ..it's mainly to stop money laundering ...if you attempt to purchase a property in Spain ..you will need proof of how you accumulated the money with a paper trail especially if you are paying in cash.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 05/02/2019.

Like 1      
13 Feb 2019 6:32 PM by StevieDavies Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I was told by Bankia bank manager that I had to have life insurance with the bank even though I had life insurance in the UK as it is a legal requirement. I be begrudgingly agreed to the smallest policy possible which I could take out for a total was 25,000 euros cover.  The bank locked me out of the account then changed the policy to 140,000 euros and put the price up from 128 euro a year to 1300 euros a year.  I have complained several times so they split the payments and claimed its a legal requirement,  I just spoken to a lawyer and the banks customer service (who referred me back to the branch but not before confirming)  that I do not need life insurance and that the branch has to cancel the policy and refund the money.  We are talking over 10,000 euros they have taken from my account.  The branch will not respond, to emails or letters.

How do I report a fraud on this scale in Spain when I am in the UK.  I am trying to close the account and move the mortgage but the branch will not tell me what I owe or how I can close it. 

Like 0      
14 Feb 2019 7:15 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

StevieDavies:

Did you say that you have a lawyer advising you on this? In that case, in my opinion, Lawyer needs to approach the Bank.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
15 Feb 2019 11:41 AM by StevieDavies Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Yes, I have written to the bank and my lawyer is now looking into the matter.  I have provide the bank with the original agreement which they increased without my consent and to hide this fact they split the payments up so they appeared as the line item “various receipts” on the paper bank statement,  I also have provided the emails which I cancelled the policy which was 5 years ago.  I have since spoken to the head office who have confirmed that I did not need the policy and the branch must return the money and cancel the policy.

The branches response was to blocked me from signing into the internet account. They have not refunded the money and they have not cancelled the policy.  Looks like the lawyer will be starting legal action because they are also blocking me from moving accounts and settling the mortgage.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2019 12:29 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It would be interesting to know if Spanish banks abuse Spanish nationals the same as they do foreigners. I accept this is a expat dominated forum where we are unlikely to hear the same abusive horror stories from Spaniards, but I do sometimes get the feeling that expats are a meal ticket for abuse and the authorities and media have no concern whatsoever.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2019 5:59 PM by StevieDavies Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

After raising several complaints with the Bankia in writing and via the phone, it is now radio silence.  All I know is they still have not cancelled the direct debit or cancelled the insurance policy after 4 written request over a month.  The branch manager refuses to respond or acknowledged emails.

I still have not been told by the branch after 6 written requests what my mortgage settlement figure is as I wish to settle and move banks.

Can anyone recommended a solicitor or what my next course of action should be.

Thanks

Like 0      
27 Feb 2019 8:41 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Hi Steve Davis

In answer to your request you could try these top international banking lawyers. Please let us all know the outcome when it occurs.

ADDLESHAW GODDARD

100 BARBIROLLI SQUARE, MANCHESTER, M2 3AB, ENGLAND

Tel: 0161 934 6000

Fax: 0161 934 6060

DX:14301 MANCHESTER

Web: www.addleshawgoddard.com

AberdeenDohaDubaiEdinburghGlasgowHong KongLeedsLondon EC1YLondon EC3M, Manchester, MuscatSingapore.

Like 1      
27 Feb 2019 10:32 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Just a few thoughts...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bankia.es

Looks as though this form of non compliant behaviour is endemic in this Bank.

Perhaps worth writing to your MP and MEP http://www.writetothem.com with all relevant details and ask if they would be willing to support you in reporting this to the Bankia banks compliance officer.

Came across this https://www.bankia.com/recursos/doc/corporativo/2019/02/20/11-report-of-the-audit-and-compliance-committee-for-2018.pdf which makes mention of Mr. Antonio Greño Hidalgo chairman of audit and compliance committee....

Like 0      
28 Feb 2019 12:48 PM by fazarelli Star rating. 282 posts Send private message

It's a disgusting place, Spain. Once i get my money back from the banks, i'll never set foot in Spain again.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2019 1:29 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Spain does not always suit everyone. I am not commenting on you personally fazaelli, but Brits tend to arrive with their beach bucket and spade, head to the nearest lager trough  and expect Spain to be the same nanny state as the UK.

Like 2      
28 Feb 2019 3:51 PM by StevieDavies Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I have written to Addleshaw Goddard to see if they can help me and  I have raised a 3rd complaint with the bank about the policy not being cancelled and the direct debt not being stopped.  The branch have locked me out of the bank account and are refusing to talk to me via the phone. The bank manager at the branch did not respond when I challenged them about the policy issue and the fact the bank has still have not told me what the mortgage settlement figure.  I have only asked for this 5 times In writing and 2 times by the phone.

I have already raised the issue with the MEP and no one came back to me.  I guess they have bigger fish to fry with Brexit.

i will update everyone on this thread with my progress because I think the bank is doing this to other people and I have caught them out.

regards

Steve

Like 0      
01 Mar 2019 8:46 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I too had life insurance "attached" to my mortgage with Sabadell (formally Cam). They said that as part of the deal for the mortgage that the life insurance was compulsary. My payments went from 60 euros to 90 euros per month over a 6 year period.After paying a couple of large lump sums off my mortgage I challenged them on the amount they were charging for the insurance as they would have less to pay out, their answer was "well you are getting older" I tried unsuccessfully for 3 years to get the payable amount dropped, in  the end fortunately I was able to pay off my mortgage, and even then I had pay an extra months premium as they would not allow me to give 1 months notice until the mortgage account was zero! 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Legal intrest payment - 3 posts
travel cot - 1 posts
one way van - 4 posts
superb help from Maria L. de Castro at Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
Work Permit for Egyptian Nationals in Canary Islands - 1 posts
BMN merger with Bankia issues - 20 posts
Localidad - 33 posts
motor home - 4 posts
Tasa 790 - 1 posts
Berta - 6 posts
Holiday Rental Licence - 0 posts
best areas to live in denia - 6 posts
Bank withdrawal - 3 posts
Key Holder required for 2 apartments - 1 in VillaMartin and 1 in La Mata - 1 posts
Car insurance - 27 posts
How Foreigners bought their homes in Spain in 2017 - 1 posts
need a rental in gran caneria asap - 0 posts
Land registry - 0 posts
Advice needed - 5 posts
Santander to Vera - 4 posts
Mid/Long Term Parking UK Car in Benidorm/Alacante - 2 posts
The beauty of EU Directive 2016/680 - 9 posts
Power of attorney - 8 posts
Earthquake around Pilar de la Horadada, Costa Blanca 11-5-2018 - 0 posts
Television - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 43

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x