Winter travel to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jan 2018 5:18 PM by Delboy20 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, my name is Derek and as a new member to this forum can anyone suggest a suitable, warm place to spend winter months on mainland Spain? We have a 16 month whippet who will be traveling with us by car. We are looking for more rural spots so we can enjoy dog walking away from hustle and bustle of traffic etc. Even more important can anyone suggest somewhere suitable for us to stay while we explore the Spanish areas? Would love to hear any advice and comments

This message was last edited by Delboy20 on 17/01/2018.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2018 10:47 AM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Marina

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 1/18/2018 11:40:00 AM.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2018 12:42 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Hi Dellboy.

We have a place in Murcia near San Javier, and the winters there can be quite warm during the day, however at night the temperature can drop to around 5. For example next week the highs average around 18 and the lows around 7 degrees. With regard to somewhere suitable to stay- can't really help with that one as everyone has different likes and dislikes

Like 1      
18 Jan 2018 12:51 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Suggest your area is chosen by finding a  property to rent  that will accept dogs.

Personally believe pets are safer on the coast  is in many inland areas of Spain hunting and shooting anything that moves (and unfortunately the laying down of poison)........is in abundance. So never safe to take your precious dog off the lead and after every walk check him out for ticks.

So many hazards here that dont exist in UK so please adhere to Defras rules.

Like 1      
18 Jan 2018 1:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Brittany Ferries have limited numbers of pet cabins, and they get booked up well in advance, so plan well ahead if you intend to travel by ferry and don't want Whippy to be left in a kennel without you.

Good advice given to check DEFRA rules and clue yourself up on potential threats to pooch as well (processionary caterpillars spring to mind, for example)

As for advice on exploring "the Spanish areas"...impossible really, as this is so vague. Spain is a big country, with mountains, beaches, countryside, UNESCO heritage sites, different climates - where would one start?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      
18 Jan 2018 1:52 PM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi Derek

Our two-bedroon villa in Torre de la Horadada, near Murcia airport, is available from mid March.From there you could explore a wide area around Murcia Province and Costa Blanca South. Please let me know if you might be interesting and I'll send you more details.

Regards

Marina

Like 1      
18 Jan 2018 3:09 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Honeywater

He did say Winter months....

Like 0      
18 Jan 2018 3:13 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I've come around to thinking the area around Lisbon, Portugal is better value and very interesting. Very pleasant people, everyone speaks English...and cost of living strikes me as lower...I've driven there from my Extremaduran finca a few times recently, and think a move might be on the cards. Climate is close to perfect. Lisbon is one of Europe's most beautiful cities, great public transport, slow paced.....with plenty of wonderful rural spots within a half hours drive. (I would stay away from the Algarve))

Like 2      
18 Jan 2018 6:06 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I recommend Bolnuevo not far from Mazarron - marvellous lively resort on the coast with lots of restaurants and a large designated cannine beach a mile or so away from the centre.

Sorry I don't have a villa to rent there, but there are plenty available.

Like 3      
20 Jan 2018 5:21 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

I agree about starting with trying to find a property that will take dogs.  We are no longer doing long winter lets much to the disappointment of many who have previously stayed but they all agree on one thing - start by finding a dog friendly property and then see if the area suits you.  We may be biased as we chose it as our home nearly twenty years ago but we think that the area in and around Mojacar, both coastal and inland, is hard to beat for winter climate and for plenty to do.

If you are wanting to take a dog you are almost too late for next winter already as dog friendly properties get booked up very fast and people often book from one year to the next.

If you need any advice about our area, Derek, please don't hesitate to pm me

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 1      
20 Jan 2018 6:45 PM by IvorMac Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Why don't you try Lebrija in Sevilla Provence, it is further south and west but can be surprisingly warm, certainly warmer and cheaper than the UK.

There is plenty to do and see within easy reach e.g. Jerez de la Frontera famous for sherry and dancing horses, flamenco and not to forget seafood, El Puerto de Santa Maria also in the sherry triangle was where Cristobel Columbus provisioned his ships before setting sail for the New World. Cadiz is a must see also being the oldest city in Europe. Further afield and well worth the trip is Sevilla, Córdoba and Ronda world famous on their own right.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2018 7:45 AM by Jakeway123 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, my best suggestion is Carchelejo in the province of Jaen, my husband and I live in the next village called Carchel. we have good British friends who run a cheap Bed and Breakfast in Carchelejo and they are dog friendly too, you could stay there while you look at the many properties available, the walks are to numerous to mention, we have owned our house here for 5 years and love it so much rural Spain is simply the best life ever, we know some great Estate agents here to help you, I was an Estate Agent before retiring, you would love this place sunny winters and wonderful friendly locals, I am a complete dog lover and the thing that has most impressed me about these villages is that I have not seen a single homeless dog or cat, sadly you cannot say that in most all other areas of Spain.

Like 1      
21 Jan 2018 9:18 AM by anthomo16 Star rating. 104 posts Send private message

There have been some great suggestions here such as Mojacar and Murcia both lovely temperatures in winter the days are long with sunshine but the evenings are cold BUT not as cold as in the UK and not as wet so a nice dog walk in the evenings down to your local pub where you can sit outside (they have fires outside) so nice and warm and meet your new local neighbours. You can't do that in the UK in the winter.

Like 1      
21 Jan 2018 2:29 PM by kil123 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

We have a property in Vera, near Mojacar, which is free March/April and is dog friendly if you would like to rent?

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

what is FORM 036 pls - 11 posts
Fined €200 for not having ITV - car only 2 years old! - 16 posts
Car Battery Supplier - 3 posts
Family Move and buying a business lease - 6 posts
Debt Attachment - 1 posts
Question for Maria on interest payments (Ley 57/68) - 10 posts
Reclaiming 3% non resident Tax Refund after property sale - 15 posts
Help with Spanish Taxes - 6 posts
Furnishing a house in Jalon - 3 posts
registering an imported car - 2 posts
Special needs schools spain - 11 posts
tax on uk pensions - 3 posts
Bank guarantees - 53 posts
Advice on Cajamar Bank - 14 posts
Portadriano - 0 posts
Buying a new bike - 4 posts
trying to buy a property in spain - 5 posts
Reclaiming PlusValia on a property sale - 61 posts
come to Alicante area for 4 weeks in April/May with dogs - 3 posts
Club - 0 posts
Newbie - 29 posts
Subletting in Spain - 13 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers 45 cases won against Banks in 2017! - 0 posts
Low power water heater - 4 posts
New to Spain with alsorts of problems - 24 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x