Spanish Reg in the UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2017 10:05 PM by code4 Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I have a Spanish reg car, I am a non resident, I am looking at taking it over to the UK for a couple of months, is there any time restrictions or rules on this, as I live in the UK

Like 0      
19 Nov 2017 10:44 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

A UK resident cannot drive a foreign registered car in UK unless:

1. They work in another EU member state and use an EU-registered company car on a temporary basis.

2. They lease a EU registered car and use it temporarily in the UK.

3. If the car is not yours, the owner is a non-UK resident and he is sitting in the car with you.

There's also a bit about students but I doubt that would apply to you. 

There will now follow about 500 replies about how Joe Bloggs and the bloke up the pub did it and it was OK. However, the above is from the gov.uk site on using a foreign registered car in UK.

A non UK resident can bring the car into UK for a period not exceeding 6 months or until he becomes a resident in UK when it must be re-registered on UK plates before being used again.

Like 2      
20 Nov 2017 9:06 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Have no idea about the other 499 replies you might get but certainly a Brit neighbour of mine, still a UK tax resident, takes, and uses,  his Spanish reg car to south London for months at a time. His mentality as.it is his car he is permitted to do so and to date no-one has stopped him. 

However with the horrendous amount of traffic, everywhere, in UK it wouldn't be my choice of transport.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2017 11:47 AM by DazzaJ Star rating in Spain. 46 posts Send private message

Sorry but I do not buy this

I see no reason why a uk resident cannot drive any foreign registered car in the uk if the vehicle is road legal, they have a licence and they have the owners permission 

I can see why a uk resident cannot own a foreign registered car in uk without importing the car onto uk plates except as a temporary import as per the govt website.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2017 1:29 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

I think Maridav covered your points in her post there Dazza?

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
20 Nov 2017 1:46 PM by DazzaJ Star rating in Spain. 46 posts Send private message

Brian

Not really as i beleive she is referring to the section realtioning to importing a car

Maybe the dvla website should separate importing and driving to make it clear

There are so many scenarios that make this (if true ) nonsense

As one example

A uk resident flies to a eu country picks up a car or van (hire car friends car or even his own from his holiday hone) drives back to the uk passing through a number of non uk eu states. Arriives in uk drives around for a few weeks and then returns to the country in the car where he brought the car from.

The car or van is fully legal in its home eu state insured ,  taxed etc therefore legal to drive in the uk and the uk resident has a valid uk licence 

Yet if you take what has been said then a non uk resident could do exactly the same thing and be legal - would this then be discrimination against a uk resident

All crazy to me and is it simply misinterpreting the import guide

Like 0      
20 Nov 2017 3:01 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

6. Temporary imports

You can usually use a vehicle with foreign number plates without registering or taxing it in the UK if all of the following apply:

• you’re visiting and don’t plan to live here........***** This bit makes it look like you have to be a full time resident in the country the car is registered to..*****
  • the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country.....Okay with this bit.
  • you only use the vehicle for up to 6 months in total - this can be a single visit, or several shorter visits over 12 months......****Maybe again only if your NOT a UK resident

If you become a resident or stay for longer than 6 months you must register and tax your vehicle in the UK – follow the steps for importing a vehicle.

Another little bit to throw in the can.

For what it's worth I have driven quite a few French / Spanish registered cars in the UK for possible about 2 months plus, and not once have I been stopped, I gave them no cause to stop me either. 

Like 0      
20 Nov 2017 5:43 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Ok this is not from Jimmy down the pub, this is what happened to my wife’s Spanish Reg car, she is a UK national, she wrote her Spanish Reg car off in the UK, the Spanish insurance company paid out with 1 month, so you would have thought if the there a chance for the insurance company to not pay out, they would have asked if we was Spanish residents or not, they never did. This morning I have been to my car insurance Spanish broker to pick some docs up, and I have asked the question, and she says I can go anywhere in Europe ( U K also ) for 90 days, and she has given me a number in case I breakdown in the UK.  So it’s all a bit confusing, me thinks ?

Like 1      
20 Nov 2017 8:07 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Dazza.   Thanks for that it gave more perspective I think.  Glad I asked

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

passport pics - 5 posts
No Community fees? urbanization? - 8 posts
Radio Control Aircraft club - 0 posts
Are we just dreamers..... - 11 posts
introductions - 1 posts
TAX REFUND - 0 posts
Hi All - 0 posts
Zahara de los Atunes - 1 posts
Committee members voting at the AGM - 19 posts
Rip off charges by Caixa Bank !! - 30 posts
Land in Valencia - 9 posts
Tracing a taxi driver - 3 posts
Event organisation in Costa Blanca. - 0 posts
NON RESIDENT TAX - 31 posts
bank - 1 posts
replacement car exhaust - 0 posts
Help - 2 posts
Threads disappearing - 8 posts
Hi from Malaga - 2 posts
GREAT ADVENTURE!! - 1 posts
Sky TV and IPTV boxes - 0 posts
Cheap SIM only deal - 3 posts
Can't complete on time. Can the contract be extended? - 42 posts
Winter Rentals - 7 posts
How to contact moviestar by email - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x