I want to move to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 May 2017 3:32 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Floela, 

A reasonable description of a system that is doomed to fail.

the only challenge to that statement is that buying off plan is still an option, it's just that the demand is not there right now, it will return.

when it returns there will be builders and banks getting greedy again and people will be sucked into that world all over again.   Spain has had a chance to look at the issues of the past and regulate, they are choosing not to, presumably they have their own reasons.

In the meantime all people like me can say is, what a crap system, be careful.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
10 May 2017 3:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Like John, I have bought and sold several times in Spain without a problem, and most times without using a lawyer. Maybe I've just been lucky, but like John, I gained experience in the market long before the crazy boom years, which spawned all sorts of scams and rip-offs. I posted about some of those experiences way back in 2004 when EOS was just getting going, and on the whole was a much happier place!

Will things get back to how they used to be? I doubt it. Has this "Spanish way of doing business now ceased"? No. Just the other day I was sat with a notary and someone who is buying a property, and the notary asked how much of the sale price is being declared. Whether Spain regulates or not, it will make no difference - in Spain, rules are only made to be broken anyway. That's just the way the culture is, it won't change. 

So Frank asked "How" is he supposed to "Be very very careful and make sure everything is right"? Like I said before, only by researching like mad, following others' advice to rent before you buy, familiarise yourself with the area you intend to buy in, get to know local people and ask loads of questions, don't buy off-plan, don't buy new build, don't buy in the campo, definitely don't buy on a tacky urbanisation in the middle of nowhere....and ultimately if you are not 100% sure of what you're doing, just don't. Even if you buy without any problems, if you later decide Spain isn't for you (or you die trying to regain your sanity and your heirs inherit your property) you'll discover that getting out of Spain can be just as costly as getting in.

Any questions?! laugh

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
10 May 2017 6:32 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

I'm not sure how you can trust the research though Rob. 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
10 May 2017 6:47 PM by Uknowwhatimeanharry Star rating in Ask Harry. 22 posts Send private message

Uknowwhatimeanharry´s avatar

Thank you Roberto and thank you EOS for allowing your members to post such true full information even though it identifies Spain as being corrupt and having no shame.

I cannot see any sensible reason to attempt to buy a property in Spain. Bank guarantees are worthless, estate agents seem to be ex convicts wanting a deposit to spend, lawyers are about as reliable as the lucky lucky man down Torri beach, most mayors are or have been in prison. The judicial system seem to think it is all game for a laugh.  

‘’and the notary asked how much of the sale price is being declared’’  Clearly the job still stinks.

Frank

Like 0      
10 May 2017 7:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Brian, if the research is your own, you can trust it as much as you trust yourself 😀

I've learnt a lot over the years, hopefully been able to pass on some useful bits & pieces occasionally, and like John, even taught my gestor a thing or two 😂

If owning your own place in Spain is your dream, there's no reason not to pursue it. Plenty of people can & do buy successfully and get many years enjoyment, and even satisfaction at having taken on the challenge & living to tell the tale. 

But heed all the advice to take care & tread carefully, and never be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly they may seem 👍

Mark Twain

Like 2      
10 May 2017 7:08 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Spain has it problems with the housing market but many buy and sell without any problems as I have.

You only hear about the bad stories and this if often enhanced by many who simply don't understand (or try to) the process or becuase the proicess is slightly difnenrnet to what they are used to they bury their heads in the sand.

Despite what some on here say find a reputable lawyer which can be difficult I grant you but research, research and researh beyond anonymous forums and speak to a number of professionals in the uk and in Spain and compare your findings.

One piece of advice I would give is to avoid any advice given by estate agents that involve recommending lawyers, surveyors or handing over any money to them.

Like 1      
10 May 2017 7:15 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

I do admit my experience is not good!    

But I can't emphasise too much how being 'caught' in a poorly regulated system is pretty soul destroying.   

My advice will always be caution, don't trust anyone, dontvpart with money without proper representation.  

Unashamadely so!!!!!  😡

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
10 May 2017 7:44 PM by BREXIT Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Seems a lottery to me. Don’t the government and authorities see it as it is? Why do they turn a blind eye and refuse to regulate it.

Why on earth are estate agents taking deposits and issuing deposit contracts. And telling everyone that’s how it’s done. That’s like giving an arsonist a box of matches. Should be made illegal.

In fact why deposits at all? High risk, no deposits in UK system.

Lawyer should be made fully responsible, fully regulated and be fully insured.

‘’and the notary asked how much of the sale price is being declared’’  So what's Notary and Lawyer up to. Not fit to hold office. That's Spain.

Like 0      
10 May 2017 8:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The UK system isn't perfect either, IMHO. Buyer has an offer accepted and is then expected to pay for a survey, pay for searches & solicitor's fees, may even get as far as paying for removals, temporary accomodation....the seller can simply change his mind at any point up to exchange of contracts and decide not to sell - or tell you that they're not going to exhange until they find their perfect home, which could take months. or that the person they're buying from hasn't found a place yet....Strange? Seller accepts an offer, moves out of his home, paying for removals, temporary accomodation, maybe put a deposit down on a new build....the buyer can simply walk away at any time up to exchange of contracts, with no penalty at all. Or say they can't exchange until they find a buyer for their place, which could take months.....Strange?

Imagine you're a Spaniard in the UK, trying to get your mind around a system that's totally alien and incomprehensible to you. Imagine hiring a solicitor to handle the legal side, and being told it will take 6-8 weeks to carry out the legal checks. Spain is slow, but WTF?

Spain is far from perfect, but it's Spain, and Spaniards are used to the way things are. For the majority (tens of millions) of them, it works just fine. And a few lose their shirts. 

If you find it all too bewildering and foreign, perhaps you're best just being an onlooker, and renting for the time being! laugh

P.S. agree about the notary, but there was no lawyer involved in the scenario I mentioned. Buyer was Spanish, didn't see the need for one.

Mark Twain

Like 1      
10 May 2017 9:40 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

All systems can improve Rob.  

You cant have everything ready to go when you make an offer.  Well not since the HIP (home information pack) was repealed in parliament.   The general public seemed to think it was a waste of money.  

It had all the info up front, paid for by the seller (so not going to back out if they have committed to money), all the info including searches for the solicitors, and an entry level survey for the buyer.  

A bold move for the UK but sadly, not still in force (apart from Scotland!). 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
11 May 2017 9:48 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The original poster of this thread is asking for advise on moving to Spain nothing else.

Like 1      
11 May 2017 9:52 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

That's true, but the post did develop into further info, hopefully it may help build up a picture.

whats your experience in Spain windtalker, I'm sure you can bring us back into line and pass on some advice. 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
11 May 2017 10:02 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Brando55. I have already given some simple advise on this thread... And I will say it again Rent First in the area you fancy then if you like it you should consider buying .

Like 2      
11 May 2017 4:18 PM by birdman Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

If the OP needs to know anything about Camposol then Windtalker your man.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Does owning a B and B class as being employed and eligible for healthcare - 1 posts
AGM - 3 posts
6 berth uk spec caravan with AIR CONDITIONING - 0 posts
Seeking Advice on Transportation of Belongings to Spain - 11 posts
Trailers - 1 posts
Damp Kitchen Problem - 33 posts
All inclusive holidays - 14 posts
Advice on changing ownership of car, - 11 posts
property taxes - 7 posts
trying to find a tax advisor in torrevieja called Andrew - 5 posts
Semi detached 3 bedroom house for sale in Tías - Lanzarote (Canary Islands) - 0 posts
Help! UK TV SERVICE NEEDED - 3 posts
I have received a bill from Patronato de Recaudacion Provincial - 5 posts
ALL AIFOS´BANK GUARANTEES NOW AVAILABLE - 23 posts
Ads Covering Page - 5 posts
Irish Passport - 11 posts
Cheapest site fees in Murcia - 2 posts
Renting for the first time locally to la cala and surrounding - 0 posts
Moving to calahonda - Schooling - 11 posts
filmon now charging - 8 posts
Social Security Papers - 1 posts
Wanted - Treadmill - 0 posts
NIE Number - 18 posts
property ownership - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Account For Non Residents - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x