What is the best way of learning Spanish at home?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by NatalieJane Star rating in Accrington, UK. 21 posts Send private message

Is there a good set of CD's or books or something that anyone could recommend for those of us who have very very little Spanish language, we know Hola and the numbers from 1-5 (have to say that is thanks to Dora the Explorer!!! )

And also what is the best way to learn how to read/write in Spanish? I have seen a set of books in W H Smiths that is aimed at pre-schoolers in Spanish, would this be a good way to start learning?

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 5:06 PM by lytton Star rating in Bath & North East So.... 422 posts Send private message

NatalieJane

I new very little Spanish so signed up with a local college who offered a ten week crash course which I found very useful when on holiday this year. I have now booked a 30 week beginers course at the same college to enhance what I learnt in the 10 course. We were advised to buy a book called Hoilday Spanish which I found very useful and helpful and gave me a good base to start from. There is also a very good language section on the BBC site which I think is www.bbc.co.uk/languages. This site also mentions this book. Overall I found the course and book a very good starting point to begin to learn the language. It migth be worth you contacting your local college wherever you live to see what they have to offer. Hope this helps, please feel free to PM me if you want any more details.

Phil

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 5:16 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We bought some of the pigeon Spanish cards on the flight home !!! They are quite good for getting the basics and being able to ask for things when out and about. They have the benefit of breaking the Spanish words down and spell them as you would say them, for example:

I don't speak Spanish          No ablo Espanyol

As you can see, it is not like a dictionary, there is no correct spelling of the word, so you are stuck if you can't get your point across by showing the card to a Spaniard.

Mark

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 6:23 PM by NatalieJane Star rating in Accrington, UK. 21 posts Send private message

Hi,

Thanks for that.

We had already thought of doing a college course, but TBH my husband is working 12-14 hours a day, plus Saturday mornings plus every third weekend on call (you see why we are wanting to move to Spain!!!) so we really don't have the time to do a course, I was hoping someone could recommend a CD or something that hubby could listen to whilst driving and I could listen to whilst doing the housework. We realise that a CD probably isn't the best way to learn a new language, but we are really only looking for the basics with the hope of improving greatly once we are actually in Spain.

Thanks again though

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 7:50 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

The best course we have used so far is by Michel Thomas - an 8 part course in Spanish of CD's. The R.R.P.£70 is well worth it.

This message was last edited by lifeline on 9/16/2007.

This message was last edited by lifeline on 9/16/2007.

Daveil

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 8:12 PM by lytton Star rating in Bath & North East So.... 422 posts Send private message

Hi,

If you haven't got time for the course, look on the WH Smith web site and type in a search for Talk Spanish. You should fing a book with that name. The book is split into about 10 sections and covers the majority of situations from meeting people to ordering drinks, food, directions, etc, etc.

The book also comes with two or three CD's which gives you a audi version of the book. It costs about £15 which I think is good value.

Phil

Like 0      
17 Sep 2007 7:30 AM by NatalieJane Star rating in Accrington, UK. 21 posts Send private message

Thanks guys, I'll check the W H Smith website later today  

Is there a better way of learning the written language than looking at pre-schooler books? I think I am going to have problems getting DH to carry a big book with a picture of a fluffy kitten on the front!! But, needs must and all that, I'll cover it for him if he is that bothered!! LOL

Like 0      
17 Sep 2007 9:36 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I bought Michael Thomas cd's but couldn't get on with them, I found they sent me to sleep.  Not recommended for a driver!

Newspapers have been giving away various teach your self Spanish cd's, if you have charity shops in your area they usually sell them for 25p or you could always get them on Ebay.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2007 12:44 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

There is an absolutely brilliant  beginners course made by the BBC called "Viva Espana" The package comes with a DVD that you play whilst reading the manual. Try borrowing it from your local library before buying it.

Its the best I've come across to date and having just moved over to the CDS have found it invaluable for every day situations! 

Mike T

Like 0      
04 Oct 2007 5:24 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

The Open University do a course Ref L194 Portales beginners Spanish

cost £410 but top course starts this year 01/11/2007 and you have to register very soon to get on it

You can register on the internet

I know because I am on it this year!!!  

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 6:12 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
If anyone is interested in just slowly learning every day Spanish, CoffeeBreak Spanish is a fantastic way!  The website is www.Coffeebreakspanish.com, where you can dowload the podcasts from there, but you can also subscribe to them on iTunes and download from there.  I put them on my iPod and listen to them in the car when driving and they are great!  Really clear and very easy to follow.

Each lesson is about 20-25 minutes and, to date, there are about forty!  And added to all the time!

Edited to say: Forgot to mention they are free of charge!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 10/5/2007.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 10:08 AM by cafeconleche Star rating in Leeds/Castalla Costa.... 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Jan, excellent site! In fact worth my first ever post after weeks of lurking!! Have been learning Spanish for 3 years but need all the help I can get!! Any more ideas very welcome.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 10:33 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Cafe con Leche!

I hardly actually visit the site (I must do that!) as I get the lessons automatically downloaded in iTunes.  But fantastic aren't they?

Hope they help!  They have for me!

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 11:15 AM by cafeconleche Star rating in Leeds/Castalla Costa.... 3 posts Send private message

Yes I'm sure it will help!! I also like to listen to Spanish radio when I'm on the computer, can't say I understand much but it's fun and helps to just keep hearing the language when I'm in England.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 11:54 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Anyone living over in Spain or having an extended stay can register for a Spanish language course at most local town halls. I've recently moved over to the CDS and our local Town Hall in Elviria runs a course from September to June twice a week for an hour and half. It costs just 95 euros for the whole year!! Its amazing value and our teacher trys her best to engage with all levels of learners to keep everyone interested!

Mike T

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 12:35 PM by ayobnyrnep Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I don't live in Spain (yet) but have been learning Spanish for the last three years driving to the office and using the Michel Thomas courses. I have all 4 sets, Spanish, Advanced Spanish, Spanish Language Builder and the new Vocabulary course although this latter isn't by Michel at all as he died a couple of years ago. I think the courses are superb but I have sought additional help via the Polyglot website
www.polyglot-learn-language.com/
This is a website for finding a pen friend.  You can help someone with their English and they can help you with your Spanish. I has helped me enormously. A one on one correspondence course for free! It has also improved my knowledge and understanding of English.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:42 PM by gillreg Star rating in Tynemouth/Almoradi C.... 17 posts Send private message

gillreg´s avatar

Hi Pitby

Thanks for the info on coffee break spanish, we are going to Spanish Lessons on Wednesday evenings but they move pretty quickly and the old brain just doesn't take it in like it used to! so I downloaded these podcasts and they're great!!!!!!

I put them on my MP3 player and even though I'm not very computer savvy, it was easy.

I've been listening to them travelling on the metro to and from work for the last week and I think they're just fab so muchas gracias!!

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 5:07 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Great, aren't they? 

They are so clear and easy to follow - just what you need as you can listen at leisure.  At home, in the car, on the train/plane, etc.

Glad you find them helpful!  Or should I say "de nada"!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 10/13/2007.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2007 7:58 AM by paulmatthews Star rating in Turre/bedar. 11 posts Send private message

Try these sites

www.byki.com

www.dailyspanishphrases.com

bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/spanish

hope these help

Like 0      
14 Oct 2007 11:40 AM by alantracey Star rating. 156 posts Send private message

Hi

I rarely post, but read EOS avidly.  As well as using Michael Thomas, I also found Linkwords CD ROM really useful.  They are based in Wales and cover many languages.  It has an odd structure, and there is no graphics etc, but the method really works!  I have been using to improve my Spanish, and recommended to my daughter who is learning Italian.  They are only available to purchase on line.  I think it's www.linkwords.co.uk  (or similar).  We would love to enrol at college, but work committments mean we can't always attend.

Tracey

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Marketing your property - 0 posts
Winter clothes? - 22 posts
SELLING OFF PLAN IN SAN CAYETANO BEFORE COMPLETION, CAN THAT BE DONE - 1 posts
Eye on Spain & Spanish Property Insight - 8 posts
What happens to the development forum once the build is finished? - 1 posts
Hello from "sunny" Espania! - 11 posts
New Member - 1 posts
Electrics - 15 posts
NIE numbers - 2 posts
Must be mad starting up a real estate agency in vera playa/mojacar - 4 posts
Pat & Wes - 1 posts
6,000,000...............seat's........? ? - 19 posts
Education: First Job in Spain/UK, University in Spain/UK or Gap Year????? - 3 posts
What a pants exchange rate!!! - 4 posts
Vodafone Sim Card - 9 posts
SOMEONE IS SELLING OUR PROPERTY ON EYEONSPAIN WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION, DESPITE CONTACTING EYEONSPAIN SEVERALTIMES TO COMPLAIN, WITHOUT REPLY - 5 posts
new member - 3 posts
Insurance for property - 0 posts
Could someone help us with where to start looking please. - 14 posts
Hola.... again! - 6 posts
Are you thinking of coming over on an INSPECTION/FLYBY/ Tour? - 3 posts
cockroaches - 27 posts
Hi - 1 posts
The School in San Cayetano - 19 posts
your views on our uk tv quote...? - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 52

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x