Winter clothes?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by lioneljohn Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi all, will be over in Nerja area for the winter months just wondering what winter clothes to bring? i.e. Do we need boots, anoraks, cosy dressing gowns, vest, long johns etc etc etc ?!!!!!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 1:15 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

When I'm over in the winter months I wear layers.  Go out in the morning with tshirt, cardigan and coat, when sun comes out near to midday I take the cardigan off  and put the coat back on.

Think the Long Johns are OTT but you never know.  Normally it's ok in January but once the wind chill factor made it -2.  Each year I buy a different coat depending on the weather when I'm out there.  If you have room in your case pack everything unless you like to go shopping that way you won't be dissapointed.

It always makes me smile as I normally leave my house the same time as my Spanish neighbour, I have on the above and the coat is a 3/4 lightweight mac, she has a full length winter coat and a polo neck jumper.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 7:48 PM by TheBantam Star rating. 107 posts Send private message

We lived in Nerja last winter from the end of November. We were in an apartment which faced south but had no central heating. We had the gas heater on twice in the evening. We had light waterproof anoraks which we wore the couple of times it threw it down. We had cosy dressing gowns but didn't always need them. We sat on the beach many afternoons during Dec, Jan and Feb and went swimming on Christmas day. Many days we wore short sleeved Tshirts, but had thicker sweaters for the days it was cooler. As far as I remember the temp never dropped below 14C. We're told it was a mild winter. In all honesty April was the wettest month since we arrived here last November.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2007 8:10 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Stick the long johns in the bag, pray for a mild winter!

Sorry not to be more constructive, we are in CB which is a lot milder!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 4:55 PM by TheBantam Star rating. 107 posts Send private message

We've spent many winter holidays in both the CB and the CDS. We didn't choose to relocate to the CDs rather than the CB because the winters were colder here!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 5:23 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I find it colder inside the house during the evenings.  The first year (Feb I think) I remember my wife curled up on the settee with fleecy jim-jams, a quilt over her, me positioning a couple of fan heaters round us (Gosh but it was cold when you had to get up and go to the loo).  It was quite a treat to step outside and warm up on the balcony?

After that, we got the aircon with the heating bits fitted and boy, what a difference that made.  During the day, short sleeved shirts were quite adequate and carried pullovers/cardigans for sitting in the shade.  I hear a lot of the permanent ex-pats are getting central heating fitted which would be a good idea if it was done from scratch but have been in a couple of house with the pipe work on the walls which doesn't look very nice. 

Also get a couple of decent rugs for the bedroom.  Putting your feet on those marble floors in the Winter is an experience you'll never forget.  Maybe superglue a couple of carpet squares to your feet to walk round on would be a good idea. 

Breakfast on the balcony turns in to more like Brunch on the balcony sometimes.  Lovely when the sun gets up, though. 

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 5:24 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi TheBantam,

Yes, you are right!

I misread Nerja for somewhere else NORTH of where we are on the CB!!!

#But I do disagree with the dates on this post...........16th Sept????

I don't think so, I replied to that months ago!

I know that as we are on hols in CB at the mo and I have not had time to reply to hardly any posts.

So Justin, confusion here?!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 5:27 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

A freind of mine drove from the UK coming to southern spain and stopped off to see some friends in a village called Jesus Pobre near Moraia - got up one november morning to find frost on the windscreen of the car and decided to head further donw to the Costa ending up in Fuengirola where we dont get such things!

So, I think the CDS is warmer in winter than CB - oh oh, ducking now to avoid the pans!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 8:32 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Aah Febuary in Spain, I remember it well.  First year of trekking back and forth with loaded suitcases I travelled out with Ryanair on penny flights.  Found that by booking two return flights with a break of 3 days in between I could take out 30kgs of luggage for just a fraction more than one 20g flight with EasyJet.  In those days you didn't have to pay the extra's they now add on now so each flight worked out to £23.

In the evenings I could feel a draft even with the air conditioning on so I bought a couple of lightweight blankets, one I drape over seetee down to the floor to sit on and the other I have over my knees.  Over the years I have bought extra heaters to put around the house, one in the kitchen and others to go on Ist floor landing and in bedroom.  The latter are ones that are also air coolers as well and they have remote controls.  I can switch on the heater before I get up in the mornings to warm up the room before I make a dash for the bathroom.

I do miss my central heating when I'm over in the winter and only visit in January and Easter.  Eventually when hubbie quits work we will be over for longer visits so i'm thinking of getting the thin wall mounted electric heaters.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 8:47 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

If you get those thin wall heaters, make sure you get the reflecting stuff that looks like cooking foil to put on your walls behind them.  Some Spanish house walls are so thin you'll be heating up next door or the outside instead.  We have one in the hallway and it works great with that stuff behind it.  Before that, you virtually had to sit on it to get some heat.

Oh, and I also got some of those insulation strips from Akis DIY that you put round the doors.  Cut down the draughts a treat.  Plus a curtain over the access to the upstairs as a real chill wind used to blow down there.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 9/18/2007.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 8:52 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

you lot are making me feel so cold that i dont think i want to move to CB anymore!  I've just taken all the t-shirts out of my suitcase and put in wooley jumpers and balaclavas ... we'll be fine!

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 9:04 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Auntie Em!

A tough Yorkshire lass like you are should be fine in CB during Winter.

Just make sure you don't come bar tat....................

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 9:35 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

LOL Fibby ... i only live here ... i dont come from Yorkshire ... I am Italian by birth (south Italy too) ... so my destiny is to follow the sun!

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 10:31 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

September through to December you'll be ok Em.  It's February through to April where the evenings inside the house can be drafty and chilly, sometimes outside is warmer than inside.

I think we've just got softer with our central heating, I've even put mine on here as the tempreture had dropped a little.

When I'm in Spain it reminds me of when I was a child relying on coal fires to heat the sitting room and everywhere else was cold.  No heating in bedrooms unless you were ill and net curtains that would stick to windows in Winter.  At least that doesn't happen in Spain.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2007 10:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Believe it or not, we have under floor heating in our bathrooms. (The apartment was originally ordered, off-plans, by a Fin who had obviously never been to CDS!) Anyway, it's rubbish - takes so long to even begin to warm the tiles, that we're finished in there before it's noticeable. And it uses so much electric that it causes major blackouts across Torremolinos, so we don't bother with it.

It does get pretty chilly in Jan & Feb, and buildings are not made with any insulation or cavities, so even if you do have some form of heating, unless you leave it on permanently, you will probably find it's warmer outside most of the time. But then , who comes to Spain to sit indoors all day?

This message was last edited by Roberto on 9/18/2007.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Sep 2007 7:44 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I think you must have bought the wrong houses.

Our extension needed major work and this is what the Spanish builder did.

Laury

This message was last edited by Lauryc on 9/19/2007.

This message was last edited by Lauryc on 9/19/2007.

Laury

Like 0      
19 Sep 2007 7:46 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Does the image tag not work in here?

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
19 Sep 2007 8:10 AM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

laury

you have to use the URL code from photobucket (not the IMG) - then we should see your photo

Like 0      
19 Sep 2007 8:21 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Oops. The URL isn't worjing either. Even if i use the "insert Image" icon.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
19 Sep 2007 8:22 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I'll try a different link...

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SELLING OFF PLAN IN SAN CAYETANO BEFORE COMPLETION, CAN THAT BE DONE - 1 posts
Eye on Spain & Spanish Property Insight - 8 posts
What happens to the development forum once the build is finished? - 1 posts
Hello from "sunny" Espania! - 11 posts
New Member - 1 posts
Electrics - 15 posts
NIE numbers - 2 posts
Must be mad starting up a real estate agency in vera playa/mojacar - 4 posts
Pat & Wes - 1 posts
6,000,000...............seat's........? ? - 19 posts
Education: First Job in Spain/UK, University in Spain/UK or Gap Year????? - 3 posts
What a pants exchange rate!!! - 4 posts
Vodafone Sim Card - 9 posts
SOMEONE IS SELLING OUR PROPERTY ON EYEONSPAIN WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION, DESPITE CONTACTING EYEONSPAIN SEVERALTIMES TO COMPLAIN, WITHOUT REPLY - 5 posts
new member - 3 posts
Insurance for property - 0 posts
Could someone help us with where to start looking please. - 14 posts
Hola.... again! - 6 posts
Are you thinking of coming over on an INSPECTION/FLYBY/ Tour? - 3 posts
cockroaches - 27 posts
Hi - 1 posts
The School in San Cayetano - 19 posts
your views on our uk tv quote...? - 16 posts
Wanted Short tem let near Mar Menor Murcia - 4 posts
Sim de-activation - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x