Dual nationality

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Feb 2017 9:02 PM by Chapirri Star rating in Maidstone, UK. 12 posts Send private message

Chapirri´s avatar

Hi Folks, would really appreciate your thoughts on dual nationality issues. I am UK born and bred but from Spanish/Portuguese parents (typical bloody Londoner). No offence to Brexiters (seriously, I mean that) but I've had it here now and want out to let people get on with it. My wife is British and is also in a dejected/rejected mood . I cannot for the life of me work out what is in my best interests with regards to nationality issues. My guess is that, currently, I would need a crystal ball to work it out.

Is that the case? 

Like 0      
02 Feb 2017 9:44 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Dual citizenship. gov.UK it will tell you everything you want to know.personally l don't have a clue why you want to leave the UK.…. The UK has one of the strongest economies in Europe   both Spain and Portugal have extremely high unemployment  so you will need that Cristal Ball you have to find a job.

Like 1      
02 Feb 2017 9:46 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Google to see if you are entitled to apply for Spanish nationality

As far as UK is concerned you can have dual nationality.  I have British and Irish. However Spain may say you must renounce your British nationality if you take up Spanish nationality.  But as I said google it

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/02/2017.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/02/2017.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 12:01 AM by Chapirri Star rating in Maidstone, UK. 12 posts Send private message

Chapirri´s avatar

Thanks for the replies. I have to note that 'googling' anything on the subject at the moment simply raises more questions than it answers because of the state of flux we find ourselves in at the moment. Any avenues for information, whether they be gov-uk or gob-es, carry about as much authrority on the subject as I do; we're in uncharted waters. My angle in approaching you was merely to ascertain whether anyone had any calculated opinions on the prognosis.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 8:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I must have missed something. 

Whether you can or do apply for Spanish or Portuguese nationality has nothing to do with UK Gov. web pages.   As I said the UK have no problem with anyone having British nationality, plus any other.  Thus your Google searches need to be with regard to Spain and/or Portugal, not UK.

Spain does have restrictions on who can retain an existing nationality when they take up Spanish nationality.  It might be that as you have a parent who is Spanish you may be an exception.  Whether you are or not, the fact that you take up say Spanish nationality does not affect your British status.

I have Irish and British. I still get my pension paid in UK, medical cover in Spain through DWP and retain all the rights of being British.

In your case: If you take Spanish nationality, as I said, Spain say in most cases one must renounce their other nationality. Many people I understand just   ‘say they have done that’ and all is fine.  If one does actually renounce their British nationality, they can easily apply to have it reinstated.

Sorry but I do not know all your circumstances so even if I wanted to I cannot research your particular situation, although  I have done that for several people in the past and have always found straightforward info for those situations. 

At least at present Brexit has no bearing on what you may seek to do..O f course after that actually happens, it might be advantageous to have Spanish or Portuguese nationality.  I was born in UK  to a Northern Irish mother. Thus I had a right to (Southern) Irish nationality. 

If I had not already exercised my right to an Irish passport I would certainly have done so after the Brexit referendum. I understand  a significant number of Brits have done.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 8:22 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

gov-uk or gob-es

So what is gob-es (or gov-uk for that matter)?

If one of your parents is Spanish and the other Portuguese then nationailty for you in either state would not be a problem - don't see what your issue is and why any google search would confuse you unless you were looking for gov-uk or gob-es or.........................

As johnzx states Spain would require that you denounce your UK nationality (not sure about Portugal). In reality you would never lose your right to UK nationaility anyway.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 8:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/overview

This message was last edited by johnzx on 03/02/2017.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/3/2017 9:22:00 AM.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 8:59 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/3/2017 9:22:00 AM.

Like 1      
03 Feb 2017 6:54 PM by Chapirri Star rating in Maidstone, UK. 12 posts Send private message

Chapirri´s avatar

Chaps, let's close this thread for the time being and I'll revisit it at a later stage after doing some research.

The reason why I was searching both UK and Spanish government sites on the issue is because it is perfectly resonable/logical to do so when starting from point zero as a British national. Specifically because of [impending] Brexit issues, the questions of choices and timing are becoming critical, but at the same time, convoluted. In hindsight, this is the wrong question for me to be asking at this specific stage. What it has now made me stop and think about is the difference between nationality and citizenship.

ps, gov-uk and gob-es (insetad of gov'dot'uk, etc) because my account status does not allow me to post anything that looks like a web link; 'gob' stands for gobierno and 'es' for espana.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

harley16 - 1 posts
Lost money on Spanish off-plan property - 22 posts
A week away - 12 posts
Bank Tax or charges - 3 posts
Mortgage associated costs - 0 posts
Mortgage floor cap - 7 posts
Problem with an Insurance Claim - 4 posts
Painter Wanted between 8th to 13th Feb - 0 posts
Donald Trump immigration ban - 159 posts
First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts
Car Insurance options? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x