Taking the plunge - Moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Oct 2016 5:48 PM by Helena75 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have finally decided to take the plunge and move to Spain. We are looking towards the Mazzaron area and fly out next month to view properties.

We would really like some honest opinions on Camposol and the pros and cons of the properties there, as there seem to be many up for sale, which rings alarm bells! We are looking for a property for ourselves and a small property to rent to family and friends. Any suggestions? We want to be close to the beach and harbour and Camposol seemed a perfect location, but I am starting to feel it may be just like living back in the UK again. Are there many Spanish people living in Camposol?

If anyone can help or even suggest any areas close to the complex in Camposol it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps we could purchase a cheaper property for rent in Camposol and something different in another area close by?

Any help/opinions please as we fly out in 3 weeks!

Thanks Helen & Ray

Like 0      
30 Oct 2016 6:46 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Good luck

There has been many discussions on this forum regarding camposol asuggest you do a search

Like 0      
30 Oct 2016 6:52 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Helena75, 

My humble opinion would be on NO account be tempted buy on this first visit.

The excitement of a possible change of lifestyle, the sun and the pressure from REA's particularly when stating properties are selling quickly ...trust me even on Camposol, they are not......and many get suckered into a dream that quickly turns into a nightmare.    

From experience 50% of Brits who buy, anywhere in Spain, wish they hadn't and cannot wait to return to UK. Must admit to not being one of them but we took a year of intense research to find the place that we felt " at home" in.

Rent first and get to know the urbanisation and local areas. According to Camposol owners site, which I think you should study as it covers ALL problems, it is 30 minutes by car ( with which I would agree) to the port and beaches of Mazarrón.

And, YES, it is a  VERY British enclave.

Like 1      
30 Oct 2016 11:21 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

I think your 50% might be a slight exaggeration, floella. At our last AGM there were around 50 people in attendance. Only 2 of those (couples) wanted to go back to UK. Everyone else was all for staying. I was at the pub the other night and the conversation got round to life in Spain. Virtually everyone wanted to stay although a few were a bit worried about "having to go back" because of the falling pound and concern about healthcare and status in a couple of years.

There will always be the people who get off the plane and buy the first thing the agent tells them is "a good buy and a good location". It seems those are the ones who get disillusioned quickly rather than those who make a few trips and see different areas. I agree that a quick visit or two is the worst thing that anyone can do. Spain is such a vast country with so many different areas that it seems silly to pick the first, big expat area you come across and make a life changing decision to settle there. But 50%? No, I don't think so. 

Another bit. We live on large complex of about 100 or so properties. Owners are Spanish (minority), Scandinavians, Dutch, Icelandics, Brits (the majority) and virtually every European country you can think of. In 8 years, only about a dozen properties have been sold by people moving back home for various reasons (in 2 cases because of death of spouse). Currently only 3 properties are up for sale. Go to a big expat area (like the Orihuela Costa for example) and every other property seems to have a Se Vende sign up. Maybe that says more for location, location, location.

Now, back to the OP. Take care and research the area properly. The inheritance tax rules in Murcia are very poorly weighted against you compared with other regions, like Comunidad Valencia for example. Property prices are cheap for a reason. 

Like 1      
30 Oct 2016 11:38 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

You will see all sorts of stories about Homes from Hell etc etc

There are several sites where Camposol is discussed

most of those spouting forth have never even been to Camposol

Speaking as someone who lived there for 14 years , I feel qualified to speak on the subject.

Camposol. like every urbanisation in Spain does have its problems, but the majority have a happy life there in a place where there are many attractive properties at good prices, 

There is a thriving social life, and you can in involve  yourself in all sorts of activities and charities

There is a medical centre, pharmacy, dentists,restaurants supermarkets,in fact  everything you need

A short drive away, and you have even more choice of shops

you are near lovely beaches, villages and areas of great beauty, eg Sierra espuna

As long as you avoid the areas with the problems, and it will be easy to identify them., you will have no problem yourself.

Ideally, A or B are the best areas to live in, and the most convenient for shops

you will need a car, as the bus service does not cover all sections of Camposol

Read up on it , look at different forums, go and visit -ask questions

The reasons I left Camposol were nothing to do with its problems

I have friends who continue to live there happily, and have no intention of leaving.

PS yes there are a lot of properties for sale- but there are about 4,500 properties there, so not surprising!

This message was last edited by camposol on 30/10/2016.

This message was last edited by camposol on 30/10/2016.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2016 12:07 AM by Helena75 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you so much for responding to our thread it is a very informative site and we really do appreciate the time people have taken in helping our search for a property in Spain. Coming from Wales we appreciate beauty and will not be rushing into or talked into buying something for the sake of buying.  I lived in the Middleast for 15 years and know only too well the pros and cons of upping sticks and taking that all important decision and it is not one to be taken lightly. We will keep popping over to Spain for long weekends to research as much as we can. In the meantime if anyone can think of any areas that we could cover while in Spain this time then please do let us know. Staying in Alicante on arrival then travelling by car to Mazzaron so anything along the way we would love to see 😀

Like 0      
31 Oct 2016 12:35 AM by DuncanMcG Star rating in Manchester, UK. 377 posts Send private message

DuncanMcG´s avatar

This message was last edited by DuncanMcG on 31/10/2016.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2016 1:16 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

DuncanMcG- what was your post about?

Like 0      
31 Oct 2016 7:05 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

It would be good if EOS had some software so that the word "Camposol" could not be used, like they do with certain swear words.  Helena75 you only have to look at the hundreds of past threads, no need to regurgitate them, again. 

In a nutshell, IMHO it's good if you want to buy a well priced property that's probably not dissimilar to living in Chadwell Heath in the sun.  Good community, a bit lairy in parts, 20 minute drive to the nearest beach (similar time to get from one side of Camposol to the other, it's big).

Like 0      
31 Oct 2016 7:43 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Mariedav,  I concede you appear to be very knowledgable about all things Spanish but to accuse me of exaggerating about how many people I know who are desparate to sell their properties when you don't know where I live or the people of whom I speak is taking your knowledge to a higher level.

Only one person lives on an urbanisation and reasons for selling are various but, none have any irregularities in build or construction, in the main it is because they purchased in haste and reading OP I sensed a similar urgency  which fortunately a later posting diffused so é what.  Thus my concern.

Helena, May fortune go with you and hope you find your dream location . 

Like 0      
31 Oct 2016 9:49 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

I didn't "accuse" you of exaggerating so maybe stepping down off the high horse a bit would be nice.

You said From experience 50% of Brits who buy, anywhere in Spain, wish they hadn't and cannot wait to return to UK not just in your area but anywhere in Spain. Glad you have experience of every Brit in every part of Spain, then.

Like 1      
31 Oct 2016 11:57 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you go in to the port of Mazarron approximately 15 mins by car from Camposol and have a look in the Blue Med estate agent's they market all the Bank Repo's , You also said( alarm bells )about the amount of property for sale on Camposol .l think you will find the exact opposite most of the seller's  all 250 of them approximately are advertising with more than one  agency so it look's to the uneducated that half of  the urbanization is up for sale, Camposol consists of 4,500 dwellings spread over 5 miles ,l am not to sure what price bracket you are looking at if it is in the 3 beds 3 bath with pool price bracket you will find that you will not be spoiled for choice ,most of the one's up for sale are the very small 1 and 2 bedroom type's that look like Butlins chalets ,and mite l add some of them are a eyesore basically because the people that bought them just don't maintain them most just need. A lick of paint but the owners just can't be bothered, anyway enough said from me as I am by not a expert on Spain, but on the other hand l do know a thing or two about Camposol as l have owned a Villa on the urbanization for 10 year's unlike the people that get on EOS  that have only picked up on the bad points that they hear about from exaggerated second hand information good luck with the house hunt .And remember don't respond to unsolicited PMs .be careful and keep your private business quite .Rent first and see if you like it .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 31/10/2016.

Like 1      
31 Oct 2016 1:30 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

I risk being accused of having a lack of knowlege due to me not owning a 'pad' in Spain, however I will take the risk. Investigate areas that interest you, talk tp people who live there, rent before buying, the internet is a very handy tool, but is only that, I've seen villas with pools in areas of Murcia and Almeria on agent sites at prices that look too good to be true, and there appears to be a plethora of them, feet on ground is the only way to find out why.

I know two areas of Spain very well, having visited them regularly over many years, however there are areas within both that I wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge pole, but others obviously feel differently. If you like to be in the thick of it, traditional village houses are well worth a look, many having the bonus of a roof terrace, but of course no pool, it's all about ticking your own boxes.

Good luck to you. yes 

Like 0      
31 Oct 2016 2:48 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

The Blue Med development mentioned by Windtaker looks good to me too, particularly if you're buying it for long term use.  It's on the road out of Mazarron Puerto along the coast by a very short distance towards Isla Plana. 

Many of the properties will have sea views.  Currently you are a little bit isolated, only a small number of restaurants on the Mazarron side of the development, but it's only a 5 minute drive into Isla Plana which has some of the best restaurants in the area, plus Mazarron Puerto the othe way which has most of the amenities you need.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New members - 13 posts
Spanish official electronic certificate - 1 posts
The dangers of the new smart meters - 8 posts
AGM VOTING PROBLEM - 9 posts
Looking for a long term rental in valencia area - 1 posts
CONSTRUCTION FINANCE IN SPAIN – WHAT DOES THE TERM LOAN TO VALUE MEAN - 2 posts
Spanish radio - 0 posts
gypsy flower sellers - 3 posts
weekly newsletter - 1 posts
bankia - 0 posts
Self move using a hire van - 4 posts
no win no fee lawyers - 3 posts
Landlord responsibilities - 15 posts
Lawyers liability due to lack of guarantee - 7 posts
Velez Malaga Torrox and Nerja helpful info... - 0 posts
any info re costs involved with moving to spain - 14 posts
Solicitor recommendation - 14 posts
HOW CAN I PAY ENDESA - 8 posts
Do you need business or trade finance? - 0 posts
Torrox Costa/Nerja and surrounding areas - 0 posts
Dual Nationality by Origin - 3 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers. Recommendation - 0 posts
ITV - 18 posts
Modelo 210 again - Murcia - 9 posts
Warning: Actions against Banks: not that easy - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x