AGM VOTING PROBLEM

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Oct 2016 4:07 PM by maggitay Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Im not sure if anyone will have an answer to this one, even David Searle may struggle.

We had our AGM last week and I was standing for President against the reigning gentleman. One Owner chose to leave the meeting before the voting for President started. However, he came over to myself and a friend and said he wanted to vote for me. He had a proxy voting form signed and also the voting slip for the President vote, signed, but not filled in with my name. This was because we had not been told what we had to put on the form at the time.

At this point, one of the administrators came over and took the proxy form together with the voting slip. The gentleman informed him that he wanted his vote to go to me. 

Now, the vote was 36/36 but the vote of the gentleman was disallowed as he had not filled in my name and neither had I as his proxy. My point is that I couldn't fill in the name as I didn't have the voting slip and I presumed the administrator would do this as he was instructed. I have since been told that this is not the job of the administrator.

If the administrator had not taken the form, the gentleman would have left both of them with me and I would have completed the voting slip. 

If the voting gap was larger, this would not be relevant but as it would result in a tie, I wonder if anyone can help or advise as to what can be done to reinstate this vote. The gentleman went straight to the office of the administrator the next morning to complain but they said it was his fault for not putting the name on before giving it to them. I was there at the time and the gentleman was in the process of doing that when the paper was taken.

This is a complete mess as the administrators had other votes wrong too, so please if anyone can help, I would be very grateful. 

Many thanks 

Like 0      
27 Oct 2016 4:35 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I am not an expert on this matter, however I would suggest that you obtain at least 25% of the owners (by proportion not numbers) and request/demand an EGM to have the vote again.

Don't forget that the existing president has access to all owners whereas, I assume, you don't. Try and get proxys from as many as possible especially if any of the owners have a greater share of the total vote to cast their vote for you.

There is one question that needs to be asked (as I used to be a president) is why do you want all the problems associated with being a president? Please don't answer!

Like 1      
27 Oct 2016 5:12 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Again not an expert but don't proxy votes have to be registered before any meeting?

Like 1      
27 Oct 2016 7:01 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 Oct 2016 9:11 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

What does the horizontal law or precedent in Spain say about a tie?

Has the old President remained in post?

If the H L says nothing, common sense would normally dictate that the vote is re-run after a short period.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2017 12:44 PM by Jontym Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Just a point on the committee members, and what is their legal responsibility, for the finances of the community, if there is a president and administrator?

Like 0      
10 Apr 2017 1:37 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"why do you want all the problems associated with being a president?"

Damned good question, can't wait to see an answer! 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Apr 2017 2:41 PM by Jontym Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

10 Apr 2017 5:45 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Jonty

HPA normally allows for a President, Vice President and Secretary Administrator.

You can elect Vocales as Committee members if you wish to enlist more help but they have no legal standing.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2017 8:03 PM by Jontym Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for a long term rental in valencia area - 1 posts
CONSTRUCTION FINANCE IN SPAIN – WHAT DOES THE TERM LOAN TO VALUE MEAN - 2 posts
Spanish radio - 0 posts
gypsy flower sellers - 3 posts
weekly newsletter - 1 posts
bankia - 0 posts
Self move using a hire van - 4 posts
no win no fee lawyers - 3 posts
Landlord responsibilities - 15 posts
Lawyers liability due to lack of guarantee - 7 posts
Velez Malaga Torrox and Nerja helpful info... - 0 posts
any info re costs involved with moving to spain - 14 posts
Solicitor recommendation - 14 posts
HOW CAN I PAY ENDESA - 8 posts
Do you need business or trade finance? - 0 posts
Torrox Costa/Nerja and surrounding areas - 0 posts
Dual Nationality by Origin - 3 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers. Recommendation - 0 posts
ITV - 18 posts
Modelo 210 again - Murcia - 9 posts
Warning: Actions against Banks: not that easy - 16 posts
Warning: Actions against Banks: not that easy - 0 posts
home intercom - 0 posts
Insects in bathroom - 8 posts
tv repairs - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x