¿Quien es DuncanMcG?

Send DuncanMcG a private message

Soy... un hombre

Sobre mi... Holiday apartment on Las Terrazas de la Torre

Vivo en... Manchester, UK

Me gusta... Swimming, Snorkelling, Scuba Diving

Trabajo de... IT Architect

Mi firma en el foro es...

Never wrestle with a pig. You will both get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

DuncanMcG's latest forum comments

01 Jun 2017 19:23:

Thanks Roberto, I wasn't aware. So the NRT tax was for the 2015 tax year.


This message was last edited by DuncanMcG on 01/06/2017.
Thread: When do I become liable for IBI & non residence tax

01 Jun 2017 00:20:

I just followed the advice of my lawyers who told me when NRT and IBI were payable and how much I had to pay. They happen to be the lawyers who wrote the article that johnzx linked above. As stated in the article, the seller is responsible for the full year's IBI for the year of sale. It is unusual for the vendor to demand a proportional part of the tax back.

Also, as it says in the article, when buying a property, buyers need to ensure that it states in the title deed that the vendor is responsible for the entire payment of IBI in the year which the sale takes place. My lawyers asked the vendor to provide proof that the tax had been paid for 2015 prior to completion.

Roberto, with respect to the NRT charge in June 2016, the demand related to the 2015/16 tax year.

DelAndMax fyi, NRT was €45 and IBI €225. I don't rent out my apartment.

Further guidance here:

I. Non-Resident Income Tax
The overview of this first tax is split depending on whether you rent the property out or not – either way you are going to pay it. It is strongly advised you hire a lawyer to file this tax on your behalf. Lawyers are covered by professional indemnity insurance in case of malpractice or negligence. Make sure that whoever files taxes on your behalf has insurance in place from which to claim from.

II. IBI Tax (Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles)
This tax applies to both residents and non-residents. In some parts of Spain, it is known as SUMA.

This is a local tax levied by the town hall where your property is located. It is paid once a year (normally due in August through to November). It is equivalent to the UK’s Council tax.  It varies from one town hall to the next. It is based on the rateable value of your property (0.4 – 1.1% of cadastral value per annum); for cheap properties it can be as low as a few hundred euros whereas posh pads, in sought-after areas, may command a couple thousand euros.

It is highly advisable you set this tax as a standing order. The reason is because failure to pay may lead to your property being seized and sold in a public auction. Town halls are becoming increasingly aggressive pursuing this local tax post-credit-crunch; particularly for high-end property.

This message was last edited by DuncanMcG on 01/06/2017.
Thread: When do I become liable for IBI & non residence tax

30 May 2017 21:16:

I exchanged on my property in March 2015. The owner on 1st January was responsible for IBI tax for 2015. I became liable in 2016 and was billed in September 2016. My first non residence tax bill was in July 2016.



Thread: When do I become liable for IBI & non residence tax

15 Apr 2017 19:31:

Danyboy, good advice from Lifeline to rent before you buy. You will only get a good feel for a place by living there, if only for a few days.

Are you looking to move to Spain permanently or looking for a holiday property? If the former, then I would agree with Jarvi's advice that you would be better to buy a property in an established community rather than a gated community. However, if you are looking for a holiday property, a gated community with 24x7 security, perimeter fencing etc is much more secure.

If you are looking for a property on a gated community with a golf course, Lifeline's recommendation of La Torre Golf Resort is a good one. They have good facilities and it is in a good location - handy for local restaurants, bars, shops and supermarkets in Roldan and Balsicas.  Handy for the airport and beaches and a short drive from Murcia, Cartagena and La Zenia at Torrevieja.

Las Terrazas de la Torre Golf Resort is also nearby. Not as many facilities as La Torre but better value for money with respect to the property prices. It has a golf course, pro shop, bar, restaurant and supermarket on site. Read more about it here

La Tercia United Golf Resort as I understand it has no facilities. It is cheaper again in terms of property prices but a bit further away from the beaches and airport.

All depends on what you want and what your budget is.

This message was last edited by DuncanMcG on 15/04/2017.
Thread: Looking to buy propriety in La Teria

10 Apr 2017 21:36:

If it is a smartphone, the easiest way is to back up your photos to dropbox, one drive, google drive or similar cloud service. Simply download the relevant app to your phone. They are available for android, iOS and windows phones. Set the app to back up your photos automatically and it all happens by magic.

Make sure you are on a wifi connection and not data. Remember to choose a strong password.

If it isn't a smartphone then you will need to refer to your phone instructions. On very old camera phones this will involve some kind of cable connected to your laptop/desktop computer and even some application installed on your laptop/desktop. If it isn't so old, you can probably back up the photos via wireless.

This message was last edited by DuncanMcG on 10/04/2017.
Thread: Mobile Phone Question


DuncanMcG' blogs

DuncanMcG's rentals

DuncanMcG's properties for sale

Spain insurance services

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x