Changing name on NIE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Sep 2016 9:02 PM by Sungoddess Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

I got an NIE years ago when married to my 1st husband. We had property in Canary Islands then.. I have remarried and so the name on my NIE will not match my passport. How do I get it changed?

Like 0      
28 Sep 2016 9:25 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Abaco solicitors advise is that you re-apply for an NIE with passport etc in your new name. You will retain the NIE number but a new certificate will be issued with the new details. This would be done at any National Police station or accredited foreigners' office. 

Like 2      
29 Sep 2016 1:34 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Policia Local, probably at the local ayuntamiento. See the man, get the form, fill in the form, see the man, go to the bank to pay, see the man and get new NIE. If your ayuntamiento is as busy as ours, about two hours of your time. Don't let anyone queue jump.

I had my NIE for 8 years. Bought, sold and bought properties with it. Only when I tried to register a car did they find that my birth date was wrong! (they put my wife's date on both NIE's).

The new NIE was just that, completely new, with a new number.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 9:03 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Spain one cannot change their name, even upon marriage,  unless there is a very exceptional reason for doing so, and even then it requires permission from a judge.    Women are not permitted to change their name upon married either.  The law in Spain even dictates what surnames a child must be given.

In UK it is only a custom that women change their name upon marriage, there is no law which requires that and indeed there is no law which says they can do it.  However, in UK if there is no law to say one cannot do something, then under Common Law they can.  It is under than ‘authority’ the changed name in UK is accepted.   Having changed one’s name, one can, if they choose, register the fact  that it has done by Common, by say Deed Poll, statutory declaration etc.

I believe Spain accept that in UK women change their name on marriage and thus allow a change of name on the EU Citizens Registration, or if not resident, then on the NIE Certificate.

The National Police are the authority charged with the administration of registration of foreigners.  I understand that in a few areas the town hall may provide a liaison service between the applicant and the National Police, but if so that is purely a  very local arrangement.  The National Police Station one should use Is that for area where you live, even if that is just temporary, even just maybe a hotel. . You cannot just go to any Station.

Although I have never assisted anyone to change their name on the documentation I would think that they should produce the document they have and ask for it to be re-issued bearing the change of name.  That would be just like renewing  the document if  it becomes ‘tatty’ or  lost.

My wife has Residencia she is non EU.  She was registered in her maiden named but we later had the name changed by her consulate in her passport, When she renewed her Residencia she completed the paperwork with the ‘new name’ and the Residencia Card was issued in that name.

For a while the NIE certificates were being issued with a validly of just 3 months, that has now stopped and they are issued as previously without an expiry date.

I suspect there was some misunderstanding in the situation that tteedd described as the NIE stays with the person forever.

PS  Next week I will ask at the police station so that I can confirm or clarify this. 

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 9:35 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Here we go again. A simple question gets a simple answer and up pops all the complications. Abaco asesores, who sponsor some of thus site, simply says you re-apply for an NIE with the new details. Obviously this would be at a place where NIE are obtained, a National Police stations or accredited foreigners' office (despite proof to the contrary, johnzx still refused to believe there are such foreigners' offices for some reason).

Abaco also says you'll retain your number but get a new certificate. Perhaps you would be best to see a gestor instead of the amateur guesswork you'll get on here to muddy the waters.

Like 1      
29 Sep 2016 10:04 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maridav ;  Abaco also says you'll retain your number but get a new certificate. Perhaps you would be best to see a gestor instead of the amateur guesswork you'll get on here to muddy the waters.

That is what I said : 

QUOTE  I suspect there was some misunderstanding in the situation that tteedd described as the NIE stays with the person forever.

I apologise for giving more accurate and complete info than the poster strictly needed,  but I thought it might save more misleading post.     Seems I got that wrong.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 29/09/2016.

Like 1      
29 Sep 2016 11:23 AM by xJenny Star rating in Spain/England. 12 posts Send private message

Both my Husband and myself are with Abaco, they sort everything out for us and are very good, some friends were in much the same situation as the first poster was, and Abaco sorted it out so simple and very quick,  I think Mariedav's post about the long winded post on such a small question is spot on. For what it's worth it is common sense to get the correct information from the people who really do know.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 12:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Good advice Jenny,  but it is simple when done  directly with the police and it is free.  You may even be lucky and get one of us volunteer translators there to help you too.

Jenny.   I am unable to send you a PM, which I would have preferred,  but the system will not permit it. 

I see you have a Crown Pension.  This year, the first that Crown Pensions had to be declared in Spain,. I got advice from several gestors which was wrong.  I contacted NARPO about that faulty advice. NARPO News did not print my letter of warning but LPP (London)  did.     From what you posted,  I would suggest you consider carefully who you use for that declaration next year.

Cheers

Like 1      
29 Sep 2016 3:05 PM by carmol2 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I had the same issue. Eventually after several fruitless trips to the local office in Cartagena - arriving early, queing up (no appointments given) - I discovered that the only place it could be changed was at the office at which it was issued in the first place. That happened to be the Consulate in London. Once I discovered that I managed to make contact with someone there, who eventually sent me the relevant form to complete (in duplicate, naturally!). I went down to London, paid (I think) £7.50 and it took about 10 minutes. And yes, it's because in Spain you don't change your name on marrige, but because I did and I changed my passport into my married name when it expired, I was told I had to get the NIE changed in order to pay my non-resident taxes (though i queried whether the authorities would have refused to take my money because I paid in my maiden name).

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 4:17 PM by xJenny Star rating in Spain/England. 12 posts Send private message

A bit confused as to how you know, or you presume that you know, I have a Crown Pension?

As for the PM why?

Are you also suggesting the Law firm we use are not, shall we say up to speed regarding Spanish Tax laws, they are rather a large company you know.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 4:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jenny,   when I try you send you a PM I get this:-   

"Send private message to  xJenny   User has invalid email address"

Jenny   A bit confused as to how you know, ....  I have a Crown Pension?

I guess you were not a DI.  It did not take my, albeit a bit rusty now, powers as a detective to work it out.  

Your profile shows: 

Soy... una mujer 
Sobre mi... Retired Police Inspector  !!!!!
Vivo en... Spain/England 
Me gusta... Many 
Trabajo de... Ex Police Inspector

PS Sorry about the line in Bold. I cannot change it 

Like 1      
29 Sep 2016 5:30 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

I suspect there was some misunderstanding in the situation that tteedd described as the NIE stays with the person forever.

Why on earth anyone should doubt the veracity of what I say is beyond me.

I have copies of both the old NIE and the new one. Further more I have had to tell various authorities that my NIE has changed and they have never queried it. It did not bother my abogado, nor was there any problem at the Notary when they found that my NIE had changed when I sold the last flat. (No problem buying the new flat, but then they only saw the new NIE).

Now it might be that my original NIE was issued in Andalucia and the authorities in Valencia could not alter it, just issue a new one, but I admit this is just speculation on my part. Whatever the reason the ayuntamiento would not let me register a car with an NIE with an error on it, and the Policia Local told me they had to issue me with a new one.

This message was last edited by tteedd on 29/09/2016.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 9:27 PM by xJenny Star rating in Spain/England. 12 posts Send private message

I have not a clue about the 'Invalid email address' what ever it was you wanted to ask me or tell me you can do it on here surely.

Wow, you actually checked my profile out, the reasons could baffle me as to why? Still you must have your reasons.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2016 9:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jenny:     I have not a clue about the 'Invalid email address' what ever it was you wanted to ask me or tell me you can do it on here surely.

You may not ask that question when you have posting here for a 'bit longer'.

Re the eamail address. I think when you have made a few more posts that facilty may work.

Jenny ;    Wow, you actually checked my profile out, the reasons could baffle me as to why? Still you must have your reasons.

The profiles are there so that others can read them. Had you been a career detective officer I suspect you too would take a look at them.    When in the job I am sure you would have consulted CRO (or whatver it is called now) to bring you up to speed when necessary

Like 1      
30 Sep 2016 9:48 AM by xJenny Star rating in Spain/England. 12 posts Send private message

Thank you for the update on the email problem, so glad you sorted that one out.

No 'HAD' in my Police Career at all, I was a Police inspector, Chief Inspector actually.

Came from the Military Police in the Army, Captain, if your that interested in my past service record.

And yes I do know why the profiles are in place, a pretty obvious statement to make, I have 'Not' looked at any profiles on here, yours included, not one bit interested, all of my working career I have chosen to read and analyse how people write and comment, what they have written, and tell of, before I have made assumptions of what they have been, and can do, surprising what, if your trained correctly, that is, how much you can really get to learn about a person by doing it the correct way first. Of course many other skills have been incorporated into and from both my careers.

I can only presume with your comments about 'Had I' and 'Not a DI' mean that you don't have much respect for the police in general, maybe you were a criminal, or not, who knows or cares?

Like 2      
30 Sep 2016 12:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jenny,  before  you dig the hole any deeper, I  have copied my profile below to save you breaking your rule of not looking profiles,

Soy... un hombre

Sobre mi... UK Police Officer for 30 years, retiring as DCI. In Spain for 30 yrs. 20 years as a police authorised voluntary translator and advisor.

Vivo en... Spain

Trabajo de... For past 20 years working for National Police as a voluntary translator and adviser/consultant , assisting the public and persons arrested with crime reports, completing paperwork, interviews and generally assisting with advice. 

Like 0      
30 Sep 2016 1:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Back to thread.

Goddess:   

I asked this morning at the Comisaria what one needs to do to change one’s name after marriage

They said (so do not blame me if you disagree) go to the Comisaria which covers the area where you now live, present the application form EX-17, the proof of payment from the bank,  your passport which you used when you made the original  application, your new passport showing your new name,  and original marriage certificate.

The process is the same whether it is NIE for non-residents or EU Registration for residents.

the bank,  your passport which you used when you made the original  application, your new passport showing your new name,  and original marriage certificate.

The police said, the  process is the same whether it is NIE for non residents or EU Registration for residents.

They say it is as simple as that.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2016 1:10 PM by xJenny Star rating in Spain/England. 12 posts Send private message

Well, now it turns out you're an ex-police office, so you say? Over 60 years old also, leave school at 15, straight into the police force? In it for 30 years so now 45 years old, in Spain for 30 years, so now 75 years old, well done for getting to that grand old age.

What hole would that be then? You answered me back by trying to send me a PM, I believe over the crown pension situation, what makes you believe I didn't know the rules concerning those.

I have no 'RULE' about profiles and not reading them, just haven't bothered so a bit of a loss where that came from.

Appreciate your concern for me.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Monarch - Air Operators Licence runs out on Friday - 6 posts
property value law - 2 posts
I don't have a legal resident contract and my landlord won't help me get an Empadronamiento?! - 8 posts
Yet Another Rental Car Rip Off - 45 posts
bike test - 4 posts
is it wise to move to Spain post Brexit - 45 posts
Using Spanish words in written or spoken English - 3 posts
Plumber - la Cala de mijas - 0 posts
Liability on a 6 months rental - 3 posts
Esta if you have lived in Spain - 0 posts
Customs duty - 0 posts
Diabetes type 1 - Insulin Depedent - Getting insulin & cost - 4 posts
Parcel service for sending small packets to UK - 8 posts
Satellite TV Costa Blanca South Area - 1 posts
Spanish credit cards - 8 posts
Applying for EU Citizen Registration (forms on line) - 0 posts
Modelo 210 - 8 posts
Tourism Licence - why is ENGLAND not on their list of countries - 6 posts
Mobility scooter - 3 posts
Community owner problem - 16 posts
Driving a foreign car to and in Spain - 6 posts
Healthcare clarification as a resident - 16 posts
Cancelling a direct debit - 8 posts
Childs safety gate - 3 posts
BMN bank - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x