Moving to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jun 2016 9:22 AM by Jackieb2017 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi All 

we have now set a date to move to Spain so we have a plan to work too, only trouble is where do we start?

we're between 40-50 and will be bringing our children. (School ages).

we have a few years grace with money so no pressure to work. But will be looking ASAP. 

However it's not that were worried about its where do we start? I'v been told to contact the Spanish embassy first but wanted to hear any information from people that has actually gone through the procedure. 

Would love to hear how you did it any information is a bonus 

many thanks 

Jackie x

Like 0      
16 Jun 2016 11:28 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You may need to be more specific. By "where do we start", is it fair to presume you don't mean literally, geographically where in Spain? But have you even decided on where yet? Do you mean how do we start planning the move? I find it strange that you've set an actual date, but haven't got beyond someone's suggestion of contacting the Spanish embassy - for what, exactly, I can't imagine. 

"School age" covers quite a range, but personally I would start by learning more about the implications of such an upheaval for your kids (unless we're talking 5 or 6 years old). State school or private international school? 

If you really do not have any information yet on what a move to Spain entails, I suggest you start Googling furiously! As a starter, have a look at the foreign office website's guide to living in Spain, which is more likely to help you than the Spanish embassy, and then come back here with more specific questions.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Jun 2016 12:07 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I'd wait until we know the result of the EU referendum, residence in Spain for future expats could be a totaly different ball game after next Thursday!

Like 0      
16 Jun 2016 5:49 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are serious about moving to Spain make sure you learn to speak the language before you  make the move ,you should also consider a area   with a large expat community l have had a place in Spain for the past 10 years and  from. my experience the majority that live in Spain full time are retired and don't need to work the small amount of expats that do work tend to work self-employed or work for other expats .

Like 1      
16 Jun 2016 7:58 PM by Jackieb2017 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you all for your responses, however I think I'v been pretty vague. 

My parents currently live out there as my mum has in effect gone home. We know where we want to live and have done for some time.  I'm a self employed hairdresser and have always made my own money, we are financially secure and under no pressure to work for the next few years. 

My point about "where do we start" I'v done so much research on the Internet and with  family in Spain and friends that have moved its all a but mind blowing. So just want to see if anyone could help on simple terms??

will also wait till Thursday 

thanks again 

Like 0      
17 Jun 2016 5:52 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Start with the basics

Tax - you will have to register your income and in order to get residency you will need to prove you have income and health care provision 

Education - what ages are your children.if they are over 9 to 10 then a private international school is the best option unless they are fluent in Spanish  or they will struggle and fall behind.  Most schools require residency before you get a place

Health care - you will need private health care until you start paying in to the system. 

Like 1      
17 Jun 2016 8:08 AM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

If I was you I would stay well away from Spain we moved back not because we did not like Spain we loved it but the Risks now are too great with BREXIT 

We have no money and we left so anyone who has money or property in Spain will be well and truly shafted if I was you I would stay in Blighty as I really think it has a very bright future the next two years will be tough but after that it will be the land of Milk and Honey a place your parents would want to return too 

Keep your Money in the UK because as soon as Spain gets a whiff of it then thats it

Love Hugh xx

Ps think the post is Bogus as I know a few hairdressers and they are always skint

Like 4      
17 Jun 2016 11:54 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Your posts always make me smile, Hugh! yes

Yes, I must admit I'm a bit skeptical too. With parents (even Spanish?) & friends already having moved to Spain, what exactly are you looking for from strangers here - "on simple terms"? Be more specific, otherwise you're going to get "simple" answers. 

Mark Twain

Like 2      
18 Jun 2016 10:42 AM by Sue_dear Star rating in london. 24 posts Send private message

We did the move a while ago and have never looked back. 

We rented first....now know where we want to be. Don't underestimate the value of ex pats around you

We got our NIE

We got to know people in business, learnt about self employment and Spanish requirements

we learnt Spanish ( still learning, duolingo and 1:1 lessons)

We got our padrons

We are still learning everyday. 

Facebook has some amazing sites that really help you with advice and tips depending where your moving. 

Good of luck and enjoy. The whole brexit thing is not going to change stuff overnight so don't live your life worrying or future proofing too much.......life is sort live it and love it 🤗🤗🤗

This message was last edited by Sue_dear on 18/06/2016.

Like 2      
20 Jun 2016 8:59 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jackie 

Each Region in Spain sets it's own rates of tax (providing that does not mean a greater tax burden on its population than the rules set by Madrid)  including those on income, property taxes,  capital gains,  inheritance tax etc.   That results in very large variations.

So you should look very carefully at the tax rules for any area which you may consider.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2016 10:10 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Jackie said "We know where we want to live and have done for some time" so I don't think regional tax rules are going to be a factor. She also never mentioned tax as something she wants to know about. She specifically asked about "where to start" on "simple terms", and taxation is anything but simple. I think she's after some far more basic info, but until she replies with what exactly, the answers, if any, are going to be a bit random and vague.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Jun 2016 12:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I may be wrong, but I just guessed that Jackie would not know that taxes in the various regions vary considerably.

I believe most Brits  would assume, if they were not told,  that income tax, IHT, capital gains tax, 'road tax'  etc are exactly the same throughout Spain as they are in UK.

However, as we know,  people (mainly Spaniards) move, even if just on paper,  to another region so that they will not be hit by the IHT which applies to the Region  where  they live.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2016 1:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You're probably not wrong, John, I was merely pointing out that she already has decided on the "where", since she has family already in Spain. You're almost certainly correct, also, in assuming most Brits don't know the first thing about taxation in Spain and regional variations. Let's face it, most don't even know that they speak different languages and dialects in different parts, and most also don't give a fig. I just think Jackie is looking for much more basic info, such as whether to fly or get the ferry!

Anyhoo, not wishing to argue with you, but always willing to engage in (provoke?!) interesting discussion on an otherwise boring and pointless thread! Spaniards may well move "on paper" as you say, although until this (or a subsequent) governemt wakes up to the realisation that a bouyant (or just normally functioning) property market is fundamental to people's ability to move to where the work is, Spaniards are not exactly (physically) moving anywhere (other than abroad), and in my experience they also don't emotionally move much further than the village of their birth. Whether they live in Malaga or Bilbao, if they're from (e.g.) Extremadura, they're Extremadurans, and will always tell you it's the best - although they almost certainly support Real Madrid!

Discuss!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Jun 2016 5:26 AM by Stoneliu Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

My questions is care about how much the the fees for children addimitaed to school?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cala de Finestrat - 2 posts
External Gas Water Heater Cover - 2 posts
Selling Property - 0 posts
Pulsar Car Hire - 0 posts
Please shed a little tear for Christiano Ronaldo... - 13 posts
HEALTH INSURANCE - 3 posts
Car Hire Insurance Con - 9 posts
permission from court to relocate with my son - 1 posts
Football Violence - 6 posts
Mail/post in Torrevieja - 3 posts
Self drive in removal van - importation duties ? - 6 posts
Ratten or similar garden furniture wanted - 0 posts
Happy Birthday, Your Majesty - 0 posts
Satellite / TV Package - 14 posts
Hello from utterly confused family considering moving my family to Spain or France. Craving insight from those who've done it!  - 25 posts
Wheelchair accessible vehicles in Spain - 2 posts
hob and oven connection - 6 posts
almoradi - 0 posts
Moving to Murcia - 29 posts
I am searching for a gestoria in the province Castellón - 0 posts
Garden furniture - 0 posts
New to Forum - 0 posts
Spanish income Tax Declarations for 2015 - 14 posts
problems deregistering - 5 posts
Flight Compensation - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x