Spanish income Tax Declarations for 2015

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2016 10:10 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

How many are aware that this year we must  pay income tax on the discount we get for paying IBI  promptly    It is now considered as income. I have paid 50€ on that ''income'.

I wonder if by next year we will be required to declare all the discounts we have had, including when shopping, and pay tax on that amount too !

Whatever next ?

Like 0      
04 Jun 2016 11:53 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

What discount is that then? Nothing is noted on my bill, so I pay it on the last day or close to it!

Something to do with the region I suppose.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2016 12:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Some towns,  I know several., give a discount if those regstered on the Padron  pay the initial amount by a certain date. In my town we get a 30% discount.  It is that which is beimg taxed as from this year.

It appears Marina Alta; Alicante do not make such an offer.

I just did a search and see  we also get discounts, on vehicle circulation tax, bassura, garage entry charge and plus valia.   So far as I know I was not taxed on any of them too.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/06/2016.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/06/2016.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2016 7:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I was once taxed on a set of saucepans that I got "free" from my bank - apparently they were considered to be in lieu of interest, which of course is taxable.

Only in Spain! cheeky

No "early payment" discount on IBI here either, but yes, discounts for those on the padrón, and for pensioners. Just a thought though - how would Hacienda actaully know about such discounts received? It certainly would never occur to me to tell them....perhaps you should change your gestor, John!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Jun 2016 8:22 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

On reflection , the cash back which I get from my banks due to DDMs paid are also taxed because of course tax is deducted from the 2 or 3 percent credit.  That is more obvious than the point which John raised though.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2016 6:52 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

how would Hacienda actaully know about such discounts received ?

With the NIE they have access to all bank accounts, The DD from the townhall shows the discount. 

Like 0      
06 Jun 2016 7:32 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Johnzx

I have never heard of a 30% discount can you let us know which town you got your discount it may help others

Like 0      
06 Jun 2016 12:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

With the NIE they have access to all bank accounts, The DD from the townhall shows the discount. 

I don't pay by DD. I'm quite sure the town hall don't bother informing Hacienda who gets what discount, and I only declare my income to Hacienda, not on what I've spent it. I'm not disputing the veracity of your statement, but you said "this year we must  pay income tax on the discount we get for paying IBI  promptly"; implying this is new this year. Where does this information come from? I've not seen anything similar reported anywhere else. Is there a specific section on the IRPF forms for it? (I leave my gestor to file for me). Clearly, only certain town halls give an "early payment" discount. Does the same apply to pensioners' discounts, residents' (padrón) discounts, what about traffic fines paid early to receive a discount?....or discounts received in supermarkets with loyalty cards, as you yourself jokingly asked?? 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 Jun 2016 1:10 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I see that you got your letter on this subject published in the Sur ** EDITED - Against forum rules ** so presumably you're pretty sure of your facts, so it's a shame you haven't answered my question, John. So I just did a bit of good ole Googling myself, and it seems it's not new this year, since there are various discussions about it in Spanish dating back more than a year, referring to the 2014 IRPF. It's also been debated what discounts should be declared. It seems it may depend on whether it's deemed a "bonificación" or a "subvención" - the distinction between those two being way above my pay grade and certainly way beyond my "give a sh1t" threshold. Various other things like plan PIVE and the equivalent for buying new domestic appliances apparently should also be declared - a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul in my mind, but hey ho! Death & taxes etc. Since my gestor, who has been doing my tax returns for many years, knows very well that I'm registered on the padrón and therefore will be in receipt of a bonficacion or subvencion or whatever, I would have hoped that if this was significant he would have let me know. Obviously, it's my responsibility and not his to ensure my declaration is correct, but WTF am I paying him for? I can't help thinking that my little IRPF is so insignificant in the scheme of things, (apart from the obvious fact that I'm probably one of the relatively few resident guiris who even realises that I am obliged to file a return at all) that this isn't really something that I need to lose sleep over. But of course, I'm happy that your extra €50 tax this year is going some way to paying down the € billions of Spanish debt laugh

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 Jun 2016 2:38 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 6/23/2016 1:31:00 PM.

Like 0      
21 Jun 2016 11:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

John, having vaguely followed your other thread about Crown pensions (I don't receive one so it's not of much interest to me) I see that you have finally concluded that your gestor made an error (well done for getting to the bottom of it, by the way), so it brings me back to my question about this business of discounts on IBI having to be declared, and whether my gestor has been negligent in not knowing about it / informing me about it etc. Apart from my "Googling" the subject (see previous post) I still haven't read anywhere else about it (I'm not much for following the news, so my bad, I guess) but a neighbour of mine happened to mention it today. Her gestor mentioned it to her, so she checked with the economic desk at the town hall, which apparently is staffed by Hacienda (who knew?!) and was told it doesn't apply this year - it comes into play in next year's declaration!

As I, like you I suppose, have only received an abbreviated copy of the IRPF forms this year, I can't see if there's a specific section where one should declare any discounts received. Any idea under which category, or in which numbered box it should appear? 

Cheers.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Jun 2016 8:26 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto,  I cannot easily see if I was taxed on the IBI discount and I did not discuss it further with my gestor.   I was of course more concerned about being told I had to pay 5,600 € tax when I believed it should have  been 2,828.99 €.

However, in our case my wife owns a property in Philippines on which we have to pay imputed tax (like non resident property owner s  on holiday homes in Spain).   That appears to be shown in box 059 under my wife’s name .  I also own a lock up garage, near my home in Spain,  on which we pay that tax too.  That is shown in box another box 059 under my name with the town hall’s cadastral reference.  It appears we pay 480 € tax on those two properties

I have made a note to myself that next year I should ask what each box is for so that I know for sure

Just on the ‘hacienda’ staff at the town hall:    I think you will find it is the tax office of the town hall, IBI, Car tax, plus valir,  etc  (Oficina de Recaudación, Finance office) no connection with AEAT the National Tax Agency.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2016 1:44 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Johnzx

Still waiting for an answer to my earlier question

I have never heard of a 30% discount can you let us know which town you got your discount it may help others

Like 1      
22 Jun 2016 2:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I understand there are a number of towns which offer the same or similar discounts, but I would not try to name them al, l in case I was criticised for missing some.  I do not think that naming just one, where I live,  would be helpful.  I am pretty  sure people living where the offers are available will know about them.  If, as you, one does not live in such a town then what I have said will not apply to them.

Like 1      
22 Jun 2016 2:55 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I do not think that naming just one, where I live,  would be helpful

What harm would it do?

It would be very helpful to anyone living there or if anyone knew anyone living there as many may not know

Much better to have statemenst such as this backed up with facts others can check / benefit otherwise why post?

I noticed you named 2 that don't and that you know of several that do

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

problems deregistering - 5 posts
Flight Compensation - 6 posts
Santiago De La Ribera - 2 posts
Collecting nie number - 3 posts
New Rental Rules, info re tenants to police - 0 posts
Buying a Property With Squatters in It? - 22 posts
Making a Power of Attorney (Poder) in Spain. - 1 posts
Swimming Pool Rules - 8 posts
Will Other Spanish Regions follow Barcelona - 15 posts
Rentals Question - 4 posts
Brittany Ferries - 0 posts
FOR SALE - Household Misc Items - 0 posts
Semi New Spinning Bike for Sale - 0 posts
Making a Will in Spain - 10 posts
Lawyer required - 11 posts
Reliable estate agent in Costa Calida/South Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Insure a Quad Trecking business - 7 posts
Spanish Residencia for Americanos - 4 posts
IT ALL STARTED AT EYEONSPAIN! CostaLuz-Decastro VICTORY AT THE SUPREME COURT FOR OFF PLAN BUYERS - 32 posts
Urbanisation turns out to be built on rustic land... buy or run ? - 8 posts
HELP WITH FINDING SCHOOLS NEAR ESTEPONA. - 0 posts
Experimento linguístico para mi tesis - 0 posts
Ladies Hairdresser in Estepona/Manilva - 0 posts
Golf Developments With Heated Swimming Pools - 12 posts
LON TERM RENTAL - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x