HEALTH INSURANCE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jun 2016 7:05 PM by Harrieman Star rating in Alexandria in the We.... 25 posts Send private message

Hi guy's, my wife and I are retiring early from work this September ages 61 and 59, we are planning on spending 6 months in Mallorca and 6 months in the UK, do we have to take out medical insurance in Spain or can we just come back to the uk and just use the NHS?

Any advice on this matter will be grately appreciated.

Thanks,

Harrieman.

Like 0      
14 Jun 2016 8:31 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Telephone  EHIC in the U.K. and just ask them, as they will give you the definitive answers to all your questions.

Like 0      
14 Jun 2016 8:46 PM by Harrieman Star rating in Alexandria in the We.... 25 posts Send private message

Thanks Stephen, I will call them tomorrow!

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 8:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

No doubt you already have the answer to your question, but just in case - 

"do we have to take out medical insurance in Spain or can we just come back to the uk and just use the NHS?"

You can use your UK issued EHIC for emergencies whilst in Spain. But it won't cover certain things, such as repatriation, and you can't see a GP or get prescriptions etc. (although many drugs that are prescription only in the UK can be bought over the counter in Spain), so it would be advisable to get private medical insurance of some kind. As long as you remain UK residents, you can pop back to the UK anytime to use the NHS. But this means you must not stay longer than 182 days a year in Spain.Theoretically you shouldn't stay more than 3 consecutive months without registering as a foreign resident. I cannot advise you not to register, only suggest that doing so may complicate matters for you.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire Insurance Con - 9 posts
permission from court to relocate with my son - 1 posts
Football Violence - 6 posts
Mail/post in Torrevieja - 3 posts
Self drive in removal van - importation duties ? - 6 posts
Ratten or similar garden furniture wanted - 0 posts
Happy Birthday, Your Majesty - 0 posts
Satellite / TV Package - 14 posts
Hello from utterly confused family considering moving my family to Spain or France. Craving insight from those who've done it!  - 25 posts
Wheelchair accessible vehicles in Spain - 2 posts
hob and oven connection - 6 posts
almoradi - 0 posts
Moving to Murcia - 29 posts
I am searching for a gestoria in the province Castellón - 0 posts
Garden furniture - 0 posts
New to Forum - 0 posts
Spanish income Tax Declarations for 2015 - 14 posts
problems deregistering - 5 posts
Flight Compensation - 6 posts
Santiago De La Ribera - 2 posts
Collecting nie number - 3 posts
New Rental Rules, info re tenants to police - 0 posts
Buying a Property With Squatters in It? - 22 posts
Making a Power of Attorney (Poder) in Spain. - 1 posts
Swimming Pool Rules - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x