Spanish Residencia for Americanos

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2016 10:11 PM by bhjoffe Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hola, folks. I'm Bruce ... and have owned a vacation bolt earlier in Olvera (Cadiz) and currently Pruna (Sevilla) for about ten years now. With even the remotest possibility of Donald Thump being elected President (Hillary Clinton comes with her fair share of baggage, too), we are seriously considering spending our lives full-time in Spain as expats.

Retired expats. Or "jubilados," in Spanish.

Our problem is that we must, first, apply with all the completed paperwork to the designated Spanish consulate here in the colonies that handles our affairs. For us, that would be Chicago. Trouble is, Chicago is insisting that our documents and application follow Spanish immigration law "al pie de la letra."

And the problem with that is neither the Spanish embassy here in the USA, nor other consulates here, nor a number of Spanish lawyers based in Spain can agree on what's really REQUIRED and what's DISCRETIONARY on the part of the Spanish immigration authorities.

The issue? Spain requires a petitioner seeking a visado de jubilado to document that, in additional to appropriate health insurance, s/he is receiving either a public or private pension of € 25,560/annually (or its equivalent in USD) plus € 6,390/annually (or its equivalent in USD) per each additional family member.

My spouse and I certainly don't have an annual pension of € 31,950. Do you? Do the majority of Spaniards themselves even earn that much each year when they are working?

We've consulted a number of attourneys (including our favourite, Maria de Castro) ... and have yet to receive a definitive answer about Americans qualifying for a Spanish residency visa. One tells us, "The rules and requirements are different if you own property in Spain. That shows the government that you are committed to Spain and the required income levels are far less." Another says, "If your spouse is still working, you can submit his/her U.S. tax returns from the previous year ... which will be accepted and added to augment your own retirement income." And still a third Spanish lawyer consulted a friend who works for Spain's immigration service in Malaga--and he wasn't certain of what the answer was, but promised to look into it. We're still waiting ...

For those of us with citizenship in non-EU nations, applying for a Spanish visado de jubilado is a long, tiresome, expensive, and drawn-out process ... one that a single bureaucrat in a far-flung consulate (Chicago) can make or break throughout the process. Which is why we're hoping that someone here might have a real answer that we can provide, along with our papers and apostilles, to the consulate of Spain in Chicago:

If one owns property in Spain, are the annual income requirements for non-EU citizens reduced? And, if so, how much must we document as annual income for a family of two? Will the prior year's tax return from the working spouse PLUS the retirement income documents from the other be sufficient to present to the Chicago consulate?

Thanks, all, for your patience and consideration.

This message was last edited by bhjoffe on 24/05/2016.

This message was last edited by bhjoffe on 24/05/2016.

Like 0      
25 May 2016 8:39 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I think you may be confusing two issues here.

Spain has introduced a new law that offers residency permits to non-EU nationals in return for an investment of €500,000 or more in Spanish property. Your income requirements will be waved.

The objective of the law is to attract entrepreneurs to Spain, and stimulate foreign investment in Spanish real estate, public debt, and job creation.

This law enables non-EU nationals to get qualified residency permits in return for investing in Spanish real estate (and other assets), leading to long-term residency in Spain if certain conditions are fulfilled.

Spanish residency, and the ability to travel freely in the European Schengen area (for 90 out of every 180 days), is a major attraction for many non-EU investors. Added to which, Spanish property prices have crashed into bargain territory, creating some excellent investment opportunities. It’s an attractive combination of residency and bargain prices for investors from outside the EU. €500k gets you a lot of property even in the most expensive Spanish regions.

Your other problem depending on your age will be obtaining private health insurance in Spain. Normally you cannot get private health insurance from a Spanish health care provider after 65 or if you have any pre-existing conditions.

Even EU citizens now have an income requirement to live in Spain. The rules don't state a figure they simply say "sufficient income to support you and your family".

Best of luck.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 25/05/2016.

Like 1      
25 May 2016 2:28 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

There are a plethora of American expats in Spain forums/societies.

yes

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 1      
26 May 2016 10:25 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

HI Bruce. My wife is non EU and has lived with me in Spain for the past 10 years, so I have a certain experience of the subject.

I recently discovered this web site:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

It is an official EU site where questions may be asked.  

I sent a question ,re my wife 's right to enter the UK, on a Friday and received a specific reply (not an automated one)  on the Monday.

Like 1      
28 May 2016 12:33 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9404 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Owning a property in Spain is not among of the criteria which allows/ make easier your Retirement Visa in Spain.

I would go ahead and would appeal on negative answers better than waiting for certainty.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IT ALL STARTED AT EYEONSPAIN! CostaLuz-Decastro VICTORY AT THE SUPREME COURT FOR OFF PLAN BUYERS - 32 posts
Urbanisation turns out to be built on rustic land... buy or run ? - 8 posts
HELP WITH FINDING SCHOOLS NEAR ESTEPONA. - 0 posts
Experimento linguístico para mi tesis - 0 posts
Ladies Hairdresser in Estepona/Manilva - 0 posts
Golf Developments With Heated Swimming Pools - 12 posts
LON TERM RENTAL - 0 posts
Osteoarthritis in knees and spain - 1 posts
Driving in Spain in a Motorhome - 32 posts
CHANNEL 4 LOOKING FOR NEW EXPAT BUSINESSES FOR TV SERIES - 0 posts
I successfully got my bank deposit back!! - 13 posts
Young family wanting to know best place for expats in Alicante region - 3 posts
The British College vs Benalmadena International College - 0 posts
fed up with paypal rip off - 2 posts
Crown Pensions will be taken in consideration in Spain as from this year. - 16 posts
Check lists to buy - 6 posts
Business Partner Wanted - 0 posts
Making an English will from Spain - 6 posts
?scam email - 3 posts
movoing to gran canaria - 0 posts
Looking to move to spain - 1 posts
Unpaid Communal Fees - 34 posts
e-liquids - 0 posts
Notary & Land Registry Fees - 3 posts
Water Filters in Sierra Golf. Are you using one? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x