Buying Travel Insurance whilst living in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jan 2016 3:19 PM by mrshyt Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello All,

I've lived in Spain for a few years. When I was living in the UK I always had an annual travel insurance policy as they are pretty cheap. I took out travel insurance the past 2 years with 24drtravel, but now it seem syou need to be a UK resident, registered with a UK GP, so I don't waulify anymore. I got a policy with them for me and the missus, and I was paying £60 a year which is very reasonable. Now they only insure UK citizens, so does anyone know of a reasonably priced was to get travel insurance whilst living in Spain? I'm getting quotes, but they are €150+ which is significantly more than a UK based policy - any ideas please?!?

Thanks!

Like 0      
28 Jan 2016 7:18 PM by bernipops Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Try Safesure or Saga

Like 0      
28 Jan 2016 8:09 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

When I lived in Spain I tried Saga and they said I had to be resident in the UK

I did use Staysure,who were reasonable, but as  my husband I have several medical conditions , I was a good hour on the phone going through everything in minute detail.

Now back in the UK, it's nice to have a good choice of insurers

Like 0      
29 Jan 2016 9:49 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Be aware that if you buy travel insurance in Spain for a flight to UK, and then as a separate booking a flight to somewhere else, most companies will only cover you for the flight to UK.    Thus, if the miss the connecting flight  tough, no cover. 

I know some here will not believe me but check with the company you book with if that applies to you, and get it in writing that you will be covered for the whole of your holiday and all the flights.

If you book a package deal with all the flights etc. included then you probably are covered.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2016 11:15 AM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Staysure give you an option on their form to fill in the countries to be visited So best to tick any countries where you might be stopping over or changing flights 

Like 0      
29 Jan 2016 12:15 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

It is not only policies taken out in Spain where you are only covered for 1 flight. Another thing to look for if you are intending to use 2 or more flights is what is the minimum time allowance between flights. In other words all companies that I have looked at, they will state that the minimum time between flights is usually 3 hours or 2 hours between landing and closing of check-in.

There are several companies that offer travel insurance to European residents where the policy is in English and/or are based in the U.K. Amongst them  not already mentioned are Globelink (U.K. based), Dragon Insurance in Alicante, Ibex (Gibraltar based but underwritten by Lloyds) and many more. All have different underwiting criteria and also change from year to year. In other words a company that insured your ingrowing toenail last year will not accept it this year whereas a company that last year said no will say yes this year.

It is also very important to notify the insurer if anything changes in your medical conditions after taking out a policy and you travelling. I.e. if after taking out your policy you are diagnosed with diabetes you must inform the insurer because failure to do so might invalidate your policy.

Therefore whilst it is vital to have travel insurance you must obey all their terms and conditions or else they will not pay out your claim if you are unlucky enough to have one.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2016 12:13 PM by mrshyt Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks all. I was already aware of Staysure.

I actually called 24drtravel and they said they are willing to renew my policy for next year with a small price increase which is actually good news! But I don't think they would give out new policies for non UK based clients.

I have been looking on some Spanish sites, the prices are bonkers: €600+ for a couple quoted by AXA, I won't ask why the differences between here and UK are so big as there is probably no reason!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Law 57/68 claims - 25 posts
Hi - new: moving from UK Sussex to Galicia in summer 2016. - 4 posts
Restrictions on driving with a Spanish DL. - 8 posts
Set up on-line electricity contract - 5 posts
Gringo Americans Seeking Advice (Por Favor) - 2 posts
Sam Brooks - 10 posts
Gas water heater - 3 posts
Long Term Car Rentals - 3 posts
Brittany Ferries Discount Codes - 2 posts
Banking - 2 posts
From Essex to Espana.. - 2 posts
compressed double mattress?? furniture delivery advice? - 1 posts
SPANISH REGISTERED LEFT HAND DRIVE CAR FOR SALE IN ENGLAND, TOYOTA COROLLA. - 0 posts
Retired landlords living in Spain who derive an income from buy-to-lets in the UK - 12 posts
Buying a new car in Murcia - 18 posts
Bank Drafts and selling up - 8 posts
Driving a Spanish reg car in France on a uk lic - 4 posts
Sky.eu? Satellite or IPTV - 5 posts
Jonty's back - 2 posts
pay as you go electricity - 1 posts
can I chase the dream - 61 posts
Freesat TV - 1 posts
New owners at La Torre Golf Hotel - 0 posts
Spanish property deeds. - 4 posts
"How many immigrants has Spain excepted ?? - 42 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x