Electric bills from landlord not correct

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Dec 2015 12:26 PM by diana1946 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

My husband have been in a long term unfurnished rental since middle of August. The landlord gives us the electric bill which is in his name and he makes the assumptions on which part is ours. He is trying to charge us for electricity for the 6 week period when we were out of the country and expects us to pay half of the electric bill. We havea sked for our own meter but he refuses. He lives in the apartment below us and the two apartments are on the same meter. Any adivce would be greatly welcome

Like 0      
28 Dec 2015 12:42 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

What was on the contract at the start of the rental ( if any contact exist ) does it say you would go 50/50 on the bill, without your owen meter, it's impossible to have a proper bill. If I was you I would be moving out. 

Like 1      
28 Dec 2015 2:22 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Seems a bit odd having 2 properties on one meter. It would be quite costly to get a second meter installed so I can understand his reluctance to do this.

The standing charges for electricity still have to be paid even if no electricity is used so you'd still be liable for some of the charges for the 6 week period. Mine work out about 25 euros per month I think.

But he sounds like he's taking the mick asking for a 50-50 split.  There are plenty of other properties around for rent. If he continues to be unreasonable tell him you're moving out.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2015 2:27 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Surely it depends on the actual figures.  If they are reasonable there's not necessarily a problem.  If you were to have a separate meter at this late stage the landlord would no doubt expect you to pay the cost, plus you'll have the standing charge element, where you currently benefit from splitting this in two.

Of course you should look at the lease, but if it is silent on the subject you may be obliged to make the most of the situation until the lease expires.  Until then, if you feel you're paying a disproportionale amount a little friendly haggling might be appropriate.  But do this immediately and if you get a reasonable deal, put this in writing.

Like 1      
28 Dec 2015 10:31 PM by Joecompass Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

This sounds very shady to me. If he doesn't want to install another meter because it costs too much, I would question his professionalism. If he doesn't want to be reasonable about splitting the bill, I would question it again.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2015 8:41 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

It's too easy to pass judgment based on your own values, but it's different in Spain, they are more pragmatic.  If the deal is OK it's best to live with it.  If it's not OK, then haggle, nicely. 

Calling things "shady", "odd", and threatening to move out are likely to get you nowhere other than increased blood pressure angry!

Like 1      
29 Dec 2015 10:10 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Seems to me that the property in question has been converted at some point to make two dwellings, probably for the very reason to live in one and rent one out. If the owner had wanted to provide a seperate meter he would at the very least have had to modify the circuits, install a new fusebord and then call in the supplier to fit a new supply, they would have wanted a full report on the installation before providing this, all very costly if the idea is to turn it back into one dwelling at some point.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2015 10:15 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Rental contract is needed but initially, in principle, as a tenant, you have a right to pay exactly what you consume.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Dec 2015 10:22 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Maybe a solution would be for the landlord to install a check meter for the rental apartment, a modification of the circuits would probably be necessary but that way there would be no need to get external companies/authorities involved.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2015 10:29 AM by diana1946 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you everyone for all your comments. We have a private contract with the landlord not a registered one, and it states we pay the electricity. We have no problem for paying what we consum but without our own meter we have to go by what he says is our part of the bill. We were away for 6 weeks and whilst we are happy to pay part of the standing charge we are not going to pay for electriciry we obviously did not use as we were not there. We will write to the landlord and try and get an agreement. He converted the property into two apartments and lives one below us.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2015 11:22 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Good luck

As an small advise: set a realistic percentage based on electric objects and number of people per day and write it down as part of the agreement. That might help.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Yellow flame - 3 posts
Merry Christmas all! - 2 posts
Great news for La Torre Golf Resort - 4 posts
Spain statute of limitation criminal cases - 3 posts
Feliz Navidad para EOS members, staff and affiliated companies! - 0 posts
dentures - 0 posts
PET/HOUSE SITTING + - 0 posts
How can you tell.......... - 1 posts
Hello Guys - 0 posts
If you commit a driving offence abroad, whether civil or criminal, will the penalty follow you home? - 0 posts
Book "Hamster" - 0 posts
Gas Change Over From Ex REPSOL BUTANO - 10 posts
Drink Driving in Spain - 6 posts
thinking of buying at Sierra Golf Balsicas ??? - 16 posts
Caught drink driving? - 66 posts
Legal to Drive or not? - 10 posts
Loan offer at 2% Interest rate - 0 posts
dog travelling security - 4 posts
Community with a tourist license - 4 posts
MOVISTAR TREATMENT OF CUSTOMERS - 3 posts
where is best to advertise when looking for a used car - 3 posts
Angela - 7 posts
"False Lawyers" under investigation in Spain - 5 posts
SPANISH TRAFFIC POLICE - 20 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the slowest Property Conveyancers in the country - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x