Angela

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Dec 2015 7:04 PM by Huetor Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I've been contacted by my agent asking whether I wanted to exchange in pound sterling as the owners are interested in this. Does anyone know whether this is legal. Can the sale of a Spanish property be done in pound sterling? Very interested to find out

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 8:12 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The owner is trying to avoid the cost of transferring the money back into sterling ,if you did pay the owners in sterling  it would be difficult for them to pay the tax that will be due at point of sale take my advice use a good lawyer do not hand over any cash so called black money otherwise when it comes round for you to sell on you will have to pay the tax on the black money that the original seller did not pay .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 11/12/2015.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 8:52 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

This is a reply from a Spanish solicitor who works in Manchester:

This week a client who lives in the UK asked me if he can pay in sterling the purchase price of a house he is buying in Spain. The truth is that this is not an impediment. On the day of the signature of the purchase deed, the Notary will request evidence that the payment has been made i.e. a copy of the cheque. The purchase deed will also reflect the fact that the price has been paid in sterling and will show its equivalent amount in euros, which at the end of the day will be the one used for tax purposes and for the calculation of the transfer tax.

This is a scenario that is more and more often these days. Many Brits have bought properties in Spain and they are now willing to sell them. At the same time, other Brits who are currently cash privileged are still interested in buying in Spain and very often the transaction involves UK nationals on both sides. In this type of transactions, the parties might be interested in securing the deal in sterling in order to avoid currency fluctuations so this is something that I am seeing with enough frequency.

Food for thought if you are planning to buy in Spain and do not need a mortgage.

When we bought our first property in Spain (when the dinosaurs were still roaming the planet and going under the name of Atlas) we paid the deposit with a UK cheque. In fact, the whole cost was in sterling and we transferred money from a UK bank in sterling when the payments became due.

Like 1      
12 Dec 2015 9:52 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Providing the amount is shown clearly on the Escritura in euros, then whatever currency used to pay cannot be a problem. 

When I make my 720 return,  I am doing so in the euro equivalent to the sterling amount in my bank and the Philippine Pesos purchase price of my wife’s house in Philippines. The actual sterling or peso amount is not even shown on the form. The result of that means that even if my assets do not increase or decrease, I may still have to make a declaration if the euros exchange change rate moves sufficiently to  make the euros amount increase or decrease by 20,000 €

Maridav:   On the day of the signature of the purchase deed, the Notary will request evidence that the payment has been made i.e. a copy of the cheque.

I do not think the notary needs to see proof that any payment has been made, that is a matter between the buyer and seller.   I cannot remember ever showing the notary any proof (in over 10 transactions I have made) and the days when purchases were often made in cash, even the 100% legal ones, the notary never counted it

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/12/2015.

Like 0      
12 Dec 2015 10:17 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Really? On the three properties we have owned here in Spain the notary has always checked photocopies of bank transfers or cheques to ensure payment has been made.

Like 0      
12 Dec 2015 10:39 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Providing the amount is shown clearly on the Escritura in euros, then whatever currency used to pay cannot be a problem

That's correct as I understand it, If both the buyer and seller are from the UK the money dosen't even need to leave the UK - just a domestic bank transfer.

If it were me I would check that the exchange rate used is approved by the hacienda - using a rate that favored the buyer or seller could result in claims for unpaid tax. 

Like 0      
12 Dec 2015 11:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Marirdav:  Really? On the three properties we have owned here in Spain the notary has always checked photocopies of bank transfers or cheques to ensure payment has been made.

That I write a cheque and produce it,  or a photocopy of it,  does not mean there are funds in the account to meet it,  I / we have not agreed to tear it up afterwards, or that it will not be stopped, or that it is not a fake,  etc.   It is not and can never be,  proof of payment. Just like a photocopty of a passport, D/L etc is never proof of the original.

As for bank transfers.  As the sale does not take place until you sign before the notary,  I do not see how there could be any proof of a transfer.

Like 1      
12 Dec 2015 11:22 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

As the sale does not take place until you sign before the notary

That's correct and we have discused this many times before - so transfers wont work, because if you transfer before the notary the buyer is at risk of the seller not signing and if you agree to transfer after the notary the seller is at risk of the buyer not paying..

You need to have the money with you at the notary to exchange when signing - the only way to do this is with a bankers draft if in GBP

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

"False Lawyers" under investigation in Spain - 5 posts
SPANISH TRAFFIC POLICE - 20 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the slowest Property Conveyancers in the country - 0 posts
TVaway IPTV - 6 posts
Xmas day lunch? Any recommendations in Malaga Centre or Benalmadena or surrounding area? - 2 posts
Spanish banks not issuing bank guarantees - Fortuna Golf development - 6 posts
Legal protection for communities - 12 posts
Must vote be taken annually on appointment of administrator. - 5 posts
Wanted A4 Wall mounted displays - 0 posts
Internet - 1 posts
Fortuna Golf Deposit Return - 11 posts
Fortuna Golf - 2 posts
Anyone got a Solmar contract handy please? - 1 posts
Act on Disabled perons and social inclusion in Spain - 0 posts
Renewing DL in Spain - 7 posts
rental - 6 posts
Employment - 3 posts
car hire in alicante airport - 29 posts
Obtaining a licence in Andalusia (Granada) - 1 posts
apple tv in Spain - 4 posts
Animal Lovers problem in Costa Blanca reference cats!!!!! - 5 posts
car hire in santa pola - 0 posts
HEALTH INSURANCE - 3 posts
What is the best place to immigrate to? - 20 posts
A question for Maria re LEY 57/1968 General Guarantee to ensure the repayment of amounts paid on account – SUPREME COURT RULING - 25 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x